Gp2x Vs. Ds

lubidog said:
Alex. said:
I seem to recall Epicenter boasting about the DS running Quake at 40+ fps, thanks to its graphics accelerator. Of course, the real performance test is a colourful 2D space-shooter, as we should all know by now. ;)

I do not have a DS, but I can imagine that paying ~$80 for a special cartridge that allows you to put your own programs on isn't all that great. I also think that the DS's screens are way too small, I would never settle for anything less than the 3.5" the GP2X has.

Yeah, but that 80 dollars turns your DS into a DS emulator...

I enoy them both! And I still love my GBA. I have just got a GBA Micro with a m3 and it's great. So great, I have another on the way!

*About 50 dollars including 512-1GB microSD. It doesnt turn the DS to a DS nor a GBA emulator. The hardware runs the games it's designed for, not emulated!

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC said:
I am suprised no one there on the "side" of the GP2X has even mentioned that the 320 x 240 resolution screen is a MUCH better match for most emus than a 256 x 192 DS screen is ;) That is kind of a big advantage. I would do it but I ain't goin' to register just for that.
I'm not. It's a developer forum, they all write homebrew and I imagine most of the people there don't give a damn about emulators.

I sold my DS & bought a GP2X never looking back to the crap DSlite...

No more hand cramps.

Open source is awsome.

Community is awsome.

It has a joystick.

screw all those extra bells & whistles the DS has, if it cant play marvel vs capcom its not even worth the dead skin on my thumbs.

foleyjo said:
The DS is technically a better machine because it has a touch screen!!!!

The argument seems to be similar to the old Amiga or Atari arguments. Basically if you have a DS you think the DS is better if you have a GP2X you think thats better, if you have both then you like them both for different things
Well for retro emulation, the DS and GBA are at a disadvantage regardless of processing power just because of their screen resolutions. The DS can't even emulate an NES properly without interlacing or skipping rows of graphics.

NES: NTSC/PAL at 256 x 240
GBA: 2.9" LCD at 240 x 160
DS: 3" LCD (each) at 256 x 192
GP2X: 3.5" LCD at 320 x 240

Orkie said:
DaveC said:
I am suprised no one there on the "side" of the GP2X has even mentioned that the 320 x 240 resolution screen is a MUCH better match for most emus than a 256 x 192 DS screen is ;) That is kind of a big advantage. I would do it but I ain't goin' to register just for that.
...I imagine most of the people there don't give a damn about emulators.

BLASPHEMY!

I have both and my lite gets alot more play then my gp2x.

Mainly is that I've been playing "classic" games for the last 8 years and damnit I want something new for a change.

<3 Ouendan/EBA

Being a handheld nut since the Atari LYNX, I have both as well as a GBAsp with MoviePlayer.

-I bought a GBA (then later a GBAsp) for Castlevania CotM, HoD and AoS, and later added a GBA-MoviePlayer which now only gets used for portable eBook reading.

-Got a DS-fat for Castlevania DoS and PoR, and havn't really used it for much else.

-GP2X for handheld emulator fun, which it does exceedingly well, much better than my expectations. The GP2x just about supersedes the GBAsp now that it can do good GBA emulation as well as everything the MoviePlayer can do, but better.

I also like Castlevania. ;op

Back