Gp2x Vs. Ds

mrsnature said:
MiL0 said:
http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=13...asc&start=0

Anyone seen that? I own both but I'm not technically minded enough to properly argue the gp2x's side (my replies are on the 2nd page). Anyone care to make a comment? I can copy and paste it into a reply on the gbadev.org forums if you like. :]

Another pointless argument!

obviously not that pointless as you opened this thread and graced us with a post! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm I scanned the thread and it looks like it won't matter what you say, they won't take notice really. Besides it's obvious which one is the better designed console... the one with the large budget and huge R&D team behind it. I think for a console made by such a small production team the GP2X holds it's own quite adequately.

Apex could probably get Payback looking very nice on a NDS also... because they squeezed it onto the GBA... the NDS also has simple 3D accelerator so it's hard to say.

But yes I think emulators ARE a good benchmark for the two systems since you need the power to get some systems running. The GP2X in general has more systems emulated at better speeds than the NDS... that's just fact. Also the scren lends itself than the NDS's which needs to rescale many systems.

EDIT: I have both btw.

The DS is technically a better machine because it has a touch screen!!!!

The argument seems to be similar to the old Amiga or Atari arguments. Basically if you have a DS you think the DS is better if you have a GP2X you think thats better, if you have both then you like them both for different things

I personnally chose the GP2X because it came out of the box and I had hundreds of games to play instantly and for free. Technical ability didnt even come into it.

foleyjo said:
Not really!!!! If the hardware sucks it doesn't become a technically better machine just because of a touch screen (Not that the DS hardware sucks that much)

It feels like apples and oranges. You don't buy a DS for homebrew - you buy it for the original content. Yes, there is some good homebrew - DSLair for instance ;) - but emulation quality on the 2x easily surpasses the DS.

On the other hand, GBA quality on the DS far exceeds the best GBA emulation on the 2x.

Buy both.

Miika said:
foleyjo said:
Not really!!!! If the hardware sucks it doesn't become a technically better machine just because of a touch screen (Not that the DS hardware sucks that much)

Sorry i was just making fun of some of the replies on the DS forum.

ds for commercial games, 20quid a game
gp2x for emulators + homebrew
psp for 3d games that just arent made to be portable

depends on what u want to use it for
i sometimes regret not getting a ds, but i love my gp2x

I do personally think that at a low level, the DS is more interesting than using SDL or whatever on the GP2X, but Squidge has told me that the GP2X is more interesting outside of Linux :). I'll have to give it a try sometime to make a judgement, but I do think it's a lot harder to get started on the DS than the GP2X (there is very little documentation for beginners on the DS, it mostly assumes you have worked with the GBA before).

from the gbadev thread:
Nintendo's a known name, and they know how to market.
Plus they have games with pokemans.

more than made my day. :D

I have both and the DS is nice for what it is designed for, commercial games. The Lite is a nice upgrade to the old DS which I thought was pretty awful. The DS is quite poor for most emus though because of the small low-res screen(s). I don't think NeoGeo or CPS2 would be too good on a DS ;)

I am suprised no one there on the "side" of the GP2X has even mentioned that the 320 x 240 resolution screen is a MUCH better match for most emus than a 256 x 192 DS screen is ;) That is kind of a big advantage. I would do it but I ain't goin' to register just for that.

Are there any ports of quake or Descent for the DS? Milo, maybe you could mention that you could use these ports to compare the power of both consoles. But I agree with most of us on this board that comparing both of them is a bit senseless, because the purpose of both devices is different.

I seem to recall Epicenter boasting about the DS running Quake at 40+ fps, thanks to its graphics accelerator. Of course, the real performance test is a colourful 2D space-shooter, as we should all know by now. ;)

I do not have a DS, but I can imagine that paying ~$80 for a special cartridge that allows you to put your own programs on isn't all that great. I also think that the DS's screens are way too small, I would never settle for anything less than the 3.5" the GP2X has.

Alex. said:
I seem to recall Epicenter boasting about the DS running Quake at 40+ fps, thanks to its graphics accelerator. Of course, the real performance test is a colourful 2D space-shooter, as we should all know by now. ;)

I do not have a DS, but I can imagine that paying ~$80 for a special cartridge that allows you to put your own programs on isn't all that great. I also think that the DS's screens are way too small, I would never settle for anything less than the 3.5" the GP2X has.

Yeah, but that 80 dollars turns your DS into a DS emulator...

I enoy them both! And I still love my GBA. I have just got a GBA Micro with a m3 and it's great. So great, I have another on the way!

Back