Gp2x Slow Boot After Being Ok?? Please Help

pgunning1

Still Fresh
Had my gp2x for 2 months, great machine haven't used the psp since, but 3 days ago film stopped due to battery run out. After putting fresh charged batteries in, booting was very slow on the second green screen, about 5 minutes, nearly every boot now take between 1 - 6 minutes.

Has the dischage of the battery corrupted any boot files, is there any easy fix? as its annoying slow to boot, once running all seems ok, did the machine test in options, all went fine. Just the boot is so slow.

Any advice welcome, also can the gp2x play Duke Nukem 3d on the tv with sound ok as mine is terrible on the telly for sound, but on the machine is fine, when playing normally.

Any help greatfully received.

Thanks
Paul

I don't know if this will fix your boot time problem, try booting with the SD card not inserted, if everything worked well for you, back-up your SD card, format it and put your files back.

Try to reflash the firmware (don't reflash uboot).

There's no possibility of brick your GP2X and maybe it can fix your problem.

One thing that could be happening is a lot of error-reporting on a corrupted NAND .. so if you really want to be a daredevil, telnet in and reformat the NAND (see Wiki for details) ..

In fact, telnet in anyway (if you can) and see what dmesg has to say about your system .. post the results .. it would be interesting to see what you've managed to do to your system (from the perspective of Open2X, anyway, so we can arrange to avoid this problem if possible..)

Thanks for the fast replies, some are a little technical for a newbie though, removing the sd disk makes no difference took 8 mins to boot last night, i can replace the sdl files could that make a difference?

Can anyone provide a link to the wiki re the nand files, is there a good guide on reflashing & are the files in the download section? sorry for being a beginer on this, what and how do i telnet the machine? again any good infomation links would be great.

thanks
paul

Have flashed the rev 2 firmware over the original ver 2 on my machine, goes through the 1st part of install to green screen fine then when I turn off and reboot with the 2 buttons held again - start & select, the machine goes through the same proceedure again install screen then green screen, no patch screen? just stops on the green screen. Aaargh can't stand green anymore.

Whats going on, should I do the Uboot thing, if so which should I use? or is there another way?

Please I need help with this, also got the Nokia 93 yesterday wow what a machine ;-)

Thanks
paul

Why does my machine not upgrade properly? others have the green screen on posts on the forum, but most don't say if they resolved the upgrade problem, if on version 2 should the upgrade go through the patch stage as described in the upgrade posts, as mine is not.

Do I copy the uboot files to a sd card and turn on with start and select pressed ? how do i know if the uboot has worked?

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

Dumbass question: Do you actually have the firmware images on the ROOT of the SD card when you do the whole "select and start while powering on" ?

Yes all are in the root directory, it starts the install 1st time round, when green screen shows I turn off, reboot holding select and start, the same screens appear and just hangs on the green screen, no patching or other update message happens.

Thanks
Paul

pgunning1 posted on Aug 27 2006 at 12:29 PM said:
Yes all are in the root directory, it starts the install 1st time round, when green screen shows I turn off, reboot holding select and start, the same screens appear and just hangs on the green screen, no patching or other update message happens.

Thanks
Paul

Have you got another SD card you can try?

Last edited by a moderator:
No difference tried with a 128mb & another 1gb card just hangs on green screen what can i do now !!!

any help please.
paul

pgunning1 posted on Aug 28 2006 at 09:13 PM said:
No difference tried with a 128mb & another 1gb card just hangs on green screen what can i do now !!!

any help please.
paul

Ok so is the machine dead, I can't believe that this should be such a difficult thing to resolve, the psp firmware update was relatively simple by comparision :( where can I return the device to for fixing would GP2x uk look at the machine and fix, as I really would like this problem resolved.

Any suggestions welcome.

Paul

Give them a call or email detailing the problem and the thread here. They should be able to sort something out for you.

yaustar posted on Aug 29 2006 at 11:49 AM said:
Give them a call or email detailing the problem and the thread here. They should be able to sort something out for you.

Thanks for the advice. I have emailed tonight, throwing myself at their mercy, with a hope of getting my machine up and working again.

I'll let you know how it works out and if there is a fix for this.

Thanks
Paul

Hi yes it was bought from GP2x.co.uk but it was bouht for me, I don't have the receipt but have the paperwork they included when bought. So I hope they will resolve this frustrating problem for me.

As I look forward to getting going again.

Thanks
Paul

Back