Dosbox Help (again..)

TrevorBradley

OK, 6 months later and I thought I'd give DOSBox another try with my DOSBox nemisis of choice, "Buzz Aldrin's Race into Space" with the latest version of dosbox for the GP2x

I'm hitting three significant problems:

1) The game appears slow and sound is emulated choppily. I've tried changing cycles to various values between 300 and 1200 with no effect.

2) the screen gets chopped off at the bottom. I'm guessing this was an 320x200 VGA game.

3) Touchscreen controls seem whacky, possibly related to (2)?

I'm wondering if anyone has some sample dosbox.conf files that might get me closer to running this game. I think I keep attempting to modify the Duke Nukem dosbox.conf example and it's messing me up.

Original system requirements were a 286 12Mhz machine (or 386SX for CD-ROM version), so I'm hoping the GP2X F200 isn't a limitation.

Trevor Bradley said:
1) The game appears slow and sound is emulated choppily. I've tried changing cycles to various values between 300 and 1200 with no effect.

Try without sound, should be using dynamic core.

Trevor Bradley said:
2) the screen gets chopped off at the bottom. I'm guessing this was an 320x200 VGA game.

Use scale set to normal2x if you want 320x240

Trevor Bradley said:
3) Touchscreen controls seem whacky, possibly related to (2)?

maybe, I dont remember and I dont have a F200

Last edited by a moderator:
For reference:

scaler=normal2x does fix the resolution.

Game speed seems a bit slow even without sound, but I'm not sure that's fixable.

Pickle, I know it's not your code, but I thought I'd report it here... The mouse is all whacky. I'm trying to find a pattern for it... here's the best I can come up with:

If the mouse is at the top right hand corner, it's the most accurate (x=320,y=0)
As the mouse moves down or left from this corner, the position of the mouse is offset by twice as much.

This is a guesstimate, but...

If I touch the stylus at x=300,y=20, the mouse cursor appears to go to x=280,y=40...
If I touch the stylus at x=280, y=0, the mouse cursor appears to go to x=240,y=0...
If I touch the stylus at x=320, y=120, the mouse cursor appears to go to x=320,y=240...

It's behaving like:

newx = 320 - (320 - realx)*2
newy = 240 - (240 - realy)*2

The game's native resolution is 320x200, scaled up with normal2x.

Getting through a few screens and tapping on the left hand side of the screen, this pattern seems broken, and now the mouse cursor is offset to the right and up instead of down and left. But it always seems offset by 50-100 pixels in some consistent direction. I don't think it's touchpad error. I'd almost guess it's thinking the screen is 640x480 and there's some kind of overflow error.

I don't expect anything to get done about this.. I think I'm just going to try to get mouse emulation with the keypad working (or just wait for the Pandora, modding the config file and trying again is a huge PITA on the F200)

If this is relevant to you I might try getting some other 320x200 mouse game working, see if the results are consistent.

It pretty simple to setup the mouse emulation through the dpad. Basically its just adding a parameter to the dosbox.conf.

Trevor: It may be the SDL lib, there have been changes to touchscreen I think. This may be messing with dosbox touchscreen support. Maybe other F200 users can report simliar findings.

'Pickle' said:
It pretty simple to setup the mouse emulation through the dpad. Basically its just adding a parameter to the dosbox.conf.

Trevor: It may be the SDL lib, there have been changes to touchscreen I think. This may be messing with dosbox touchscreen support. Maybe other F200 users can report simliar findings.
Tried BARIS and another game with mouse support, and the touchscreen coordinates are indeed messed up. :(

"scaler=none" was the setting I used for these two 320x200 games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back