Gp2x Screen Mod

anexanhume

I have a gp2x f200, and have never owned a f100. I've heard that the f100 had a better screen (better viewing angle etc.), but of course, neither is being sold anymore. Is it possible to find an alternate 3.5 screen and swap them? (I have soldering skills, I'm just not sure of the connections and how easy the gp2x is to mod). I don't care about touchscreen functionality, I just want a brighter, less crappy looking screen.

Thanks.

Strange to hear that you don't like the screen. They're generally well known for looking really good, for gaming at least. Is it watching video on it that you don't like?

It's the double image effect that gets me. Whenever you look at something with a light source behind you, you can see your own reflection twice (one slightly offset from the other). It's almost as if there's two screens over-layed and slightly offset from one another. Is the F100 like this too?

I was going to crack open my gp2x, but I decided it would be better to first ask what type of connector the screen uses, because that will greatly influence what I can replace it with and the difficulty of swapping.

correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you have the 'old' f200 screen, which is just an f100 one with a touch panel overlay. This would explain the 'double image', maybe?

pandora said:
correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you have the 'old' f200 screen, which is just an f100 one with a touch panel overlay. This would explain the 'double image', maybe?
I didn't realize there were different versions of the F-200 screen :( I suppose my question still stands then :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. The screen uses a proprietary digital signal which is incompatible with any other screens. Best hope you have is TV out to a larger LCD, I am giving mine a 5" screen. :) Of course, that requires a bigger case....

anexanhume said:
pandora said:
I didn't realize there were different versions of the F-200 screen :( I suppose my question still stands then :D

Maybe you are seeing an extra image being reflected back by the touchscreen membrane? If so an F100 would be worse due to a more reflective acrylic protector over the actual LCD.

palmertech said:
Nope. The screen uses a proprietary digital signal which is incompatible with any other screens. Best hope you have is TV out to a larger LCD, I am giving mine a 5" screen. :) Of course, that requires a bigger case....

DaveC said:
anexanhume said:
pandora said:

Maybe you are seeing an extra image being reflected back by the touchscreen membrane? If so an F100 would be worse due to a more reflective acrylic protector over the actual LCD.

Well, I guess there goes that mod idea then :(

I even had a nice 3.5 screen picked out on ebay :D

I'm not really inclined to migrate cases as my case modding ability doesn't exist :D

palmertech said:
A bit like my previous GP2x mod...5" PSone screen.

TV out isn't perfect, image is acceptable, but some programs don't like working on external screens too much. I understand a different Fenix solves this, I have it but have not had the time or inclination to try it out yet.

Wait.... I have a super simple, easy to do solution: Just remove the touch screen film! They are two separate layers, just take it apart and take it out! I have done this to one of my DS phats, and it makes the image look MUCH better.

Back