Gp2x Review - In-depth At Pause Gaming

Bluepixie

Still Fresh
Website
www.pausegaming.com
A quick note: I wrote this review primarily for my LAN group Pause Gaming to try and educate them. Hopefully it will be useful for someone here too. :)

GP2X Review

Cheers

This is the setup that was used to review the GP2X.

GP2Xsetup01.JPG

GP2Xsetup02.JPG

Bluepixie said:
A quick note: I wrote this review primarily for my LAN group Pause Gaming to try and educate them. Hopefully it will be useful for someone here too. :)

GP2X Review

Very nice review!. A pair of details: N64 emulation is impossible, so I don't think there's any N64 project going on, and the second commercial game is called Vektar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your totally wrong about Mame, it does support Neo Geo roms. Has for a while. It supports the smaller rom files that do not need the graphic dump. Other than that, it is a nice positive review.
And Metalbrain is right about the N64 emulation.

Nice pics. :)

edit: I'm thinking that Bust-A-Move game pic you have there is a Neo Geo game file.

That's a boss setup! If you don't mind, I'd like to ask for a YouTube video of it in action :D

PS: thanks for mentioning Sqdef :)

Thanks for your comments, I wrote this while away from the Internet and forgot to double check some of the emulator details!

Very nice review!. A pair of details: N64 emulation is impossible, so I don't think there's any N64 project going on, and the second commercial game is called Vektar.
Spelling and N64 project deadness edited, cheers!

darkman said:
edit: I'm thinking that Bust-A-Move game pic you have there is a Neo Geo game file.
Aye it is actually! I meant large NeoGeo games, another thing I missed in proof reading, doh! Fixed. :)

Alex. said:
That's a boss setup! If you don't mind, I'd like to ask for a YouTube video of it in action :D

PS: thanks for mentioning Sqdef :)
Cheers! What would people like to see in the video?

btw I love Sqdef to bits, one of the games I play most on the GP2X. Thank you!

Shifty said:
What kind of keyboard is that?
The Raptor K1. Expensive but the best keyboard I've ever used.

The reason I have such a "complete" setup is because I am currently away from home. Actually in Spain working on my Master project, and I didn't want a laptop, but needed something for gaming and media. The keyboard and mouse belong to my rig but I bought the speakers, pads and HD to finish it off. :)

In fact, for completeness:

My setup

GP2X F100
GP2X Cradle
1.8A PSU
12V 300mA fixed PSU

Creative I-Trigue 2200
Logitech Precision Gamepad 2 x2
Raptor K1 Keyboard
Logitech G5
Wester Digital 500GB Premium ES

trooper said:
Dozer said:
What speakers are those? They're sweet.
Hi Dozer, I`ve missed your avatar, lol

Speakers are: Creative I-Trigue 2200, As quoted from Bluepixie`s post above.

Trooper

Sup Trooper, been a while, you've changed your rainbow islands av from last time :).

Haha, so they are, I'm blind, thanks!

I see you added a mention to Wind and Water: Puzzle Battles in your review, thanks a lot!

By the way, you also used your W&W sprite for your avatar in that website! Glad to know you liked it ;)

Nice review, and nice setup there.

Dozer said:
What speakers are those? They're sweet.
I use those same speakers in my suitcase MAME cabinet.

Bluepixie said:

"the GP2X actually needs a meaty 2.5A of current to operate"

Really? That means if you use 2500 MAh batteries the unit would run out of juice in one hour :p

Bluepixie said:

GP2X Review

Cheers

This is the setup that was used to review the GP2X.

00%20-%20GP2X.JPG

01%20-%20GP2X.JPG

impressive, howver, is this what handheld consoles are meant for? You are a maniac.

Thismakes more sense to me

very cool review! it was a good read. cheers :)

and cool set-up. i have a similar one. but i have to admit without the joypad. the cradle is like a dream come true. only thing i'd want would be a good non-cross dev kit. call me sick, but i think it'd be the bomb.. just gcc-ing on the gp2x itself :)

The cradle on the other hand just needs a fairly standard 12V DC supply to supply power to USB devices.

The cradle needs 5V center positive... ;)

Aki said:
The cradle on the other hand just needs a fairly standard 12V DC supply to supply power to USB devices.

The cradle needs 5V center positive... ;)
You're right, not sure how I missed that mistake! I'll edit that now, thanks! :)

chaos engineer said:
impressive, howver, is this what handheld consoles are meant for? You are a maniac.
That was only for when I was away working and didn't have the cash/need for a laptop. I don't use that setup now as I have my PC. :) GP2X is purely just for portable gaming for me now.

Back