Gp2x Review At Arstechnica!

Reasonable review, except he didn't know about GP2Xpdf and didn't mention the large amount of stuff in the archive. (I'll ignore the emulation bias).

Apart from forgetting to try the non-emulator homebrew, that was a very good review... there aren't that many I've read that are that balanced (mostly they either extoll what the GP2x can do, or lambast it for it's flaws).

Nice find :)

simonb said:
Photos are from a modded gp2x, or are GPH shipping them that way now ?

All I saw was a regular f-200 just like the one I have

Last edited by a moderator:
imprompt said:
simonb said:
Photos are from a modded gp2x, or are GPH shipping them that way now ?
All I saw was a regular f-200 just like the one I have

Check the D-Pad on the image on Page 2....

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking more closely at those pics, that pad is raised an awful lot - perhaps it's just a stick-on one, like the PSP takes?

In which case we might as well stop getting excited now as I've tried that and it sucks! :D

Yeah, I think that is indeed one of those PSP button stick-on.

The review was quite acceptable (with a few quibbles here and there). Although I am suprised that the stylus got praised, and no mention of it not having a proper place to store. As for the software side, too bad that aside from the emulators, the rest were just the built-in stuff. However, I am amazed that the "Tate" mode was mentioned. The mentioning of it being open source, but not saying much about the homebrew stuff as a result of being open source, is indeed such a shame.

It's strangely refreshing that it covers more than the usual reviews, but at the same time it's a bit inconsistent. Actually, if anything, it's TOO positive ("some slow-down and frame rate drops" when referencing NeoGeo/PS1 emulation is weird - it doesn't really apply to the former, and understates for the latter), yet misses PDF support and a crapload of other stuff provided by the community.

Overall I give it a thumbs up :) And yeah, looks like a PSP stick on pad to me too...

I've been a long time reader of Ars Technica (it's currently my browser home page) so to see a review of the GP2X is great. I emailed Ben Kuchera (one of the sites game journalists) about doing a GP2X review about a year ago and never got a response. I'm glad to see it finally happened. :)

It's a pretty thorough review of the system, but like everyone else said, I wish he talked about all the homebrew games and applications. If he's going to praise it for being so open, he should try more of the programs developed thanks to this fact.

Good article overall. We just know too much.

My corrections would be that Neo Geo emulation is not slow if using the beta GnGeo version with dual CPU support and that TV out doesn't require a $50 cradle.

That was my gp2x I auctioned it off on ebay. The winning bidder sent me a link to the review. Its just a stick on PSP cap. It didn't really help (the tape wouldn't stay in place).

Back