Gp2X Prototype Space Shooter Demo

f-cycles

Still Fresh
Hi everyones,

I've decided to post this video on youtube of a non-interactive demo I've work on in order to validate some concepts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQdX5G6XeZ0

Enjoy! :)
The screen resolution is 720x480 (ntsc) - not the default 320x240

Last edited by a moderator:
Impressive use of the hardware.

Isn't the ultimate resolution really just a doubled 320x240 though?

That's absolutely awesome ... :) :) .....great use of the hardware .
I can't wait to play a demo or the game .

Senor Quack said:

I think not if you process the YUV scaler directly... it uses the same process as the video players output so that you can the full ntsc output.

Senor Quack said:

Currently the resolution I have on NTSC is 720x480 (about 5.4 times the number of pixels to process). You can see a screen shot of the emulation of my low-level library running on PC via SDL on my blog (hum.. the FPS drop significantly on PC as I do software transformation for all hw acceleration perform in the mmsp2).

Screen shot at:
http://fcycles.blogspot.com/2009/12/gp2x-game-prototype-f100f200.html

PokeParadox said:
Senor Quack said:

I think not if you process the YUV scaler directly... it uses the same process as the video players output so that you can the full ntsc output.

The RGB layer by default is configure to be in 320x240.. but you can configure it to be in 720x480. Once you modify the scaler registers, you could get the resolution, but there is also other registers to modify in order to expand the visible area. :)

In the screen shot I took, you can see the GAME OVER and the player scores are display on the RGB layer (the 4-bit transparency alpha is done purely in hardware on the gp2x, here it goes through the software emulation code I have).
http://fcycles.blogspot.com/2009/12/gp2x-game-prototype-f100f200.html

I need to test and debug the video output on PAL.

pity it's just a demo. i would have loved to play something like that.
Maybe wanna try making a space shooter engine?
Using vertorial graphics for sprites and textures, i mean, making an antialiased temporal image in memory for the sprite, prerendered from a vectorial graphic, would only add loading time (bits conversion, rendering and if using a cache just do it once) and would look better in any resolution, that would make it portable to any platform and would look nice in 1900x1200 or more too

Topnotch graphics and technical skill. I hope we will see more of this project.

Regards,
Stephan

sbock said:
Topnotch graphics and technical skill. I hope we will see more of this project.

Regards,
Stephan
I agree, can't wait until a working version is available.
laugh.gif

Well well...

Its seems several people are interested in this game prototype :D this make us quite happy!

Currently @FCycles is working on other technology for the beloved GP2X, we can't reveal yet what will the end results will be as its still in planning stage for now and @FCycles is still working very hard on solving some little technical issue. But all your words of encouragement are very helpful as it make @FCycles want to continue to work hard :) .

But since you are curious on what we are doing here is some "teaser" of what we have been testing during the week-end at our secret meeting in our secret labs :p

@FCycles GP2X debug tool running on a HDTV in 720x480

@Fcycles GP2X test program running on a HDTV in 720x480 displaying an image + CC1 text (close caption).

@Fcycles GP2X test program running on a CRT in 720x480 displaying an image + CC1 text (close caption).

@FCycles GP2X debug tool running on a CRT in 720x480

Currently all those test are being made on NTSC TV, some preliminary test have also been made on PAL (via capture card) and it should work the same. We needed to test on both CRT and HDTV to make the video signal work in both condition and see also how it look like (interlace and other kind of artifact which will display differently).

@FCycles has been spending a lot of time in R&D and is hard work is being rewarded :D , hopefully we should make something that all of you can also enjoy on their GP2X (dunno an exact date, but we hope it can be soon). We'll keep you informed!

One of the best work in R&D on GP2X i think :) ...keep up
One couriosity the debug app is working only on F100 or is also for F200 ...?

Farox said:
One of the best work in R&D on GP2X i think :) ...keep up
One couriosity the debug app is working only on F100 or is also for F200 ...?

Thanks for your support!

Hmmm I think it might be an error actually :p as all of us have F200 GP2X, unless @FCycles got cheated on his and that it's an F100? @FCycles will be better to answer this one as he's the one that coded that tool. He also have an F300 (yes the white one with the stylus and touch screen).

EDIT: It seems I was wrong as mine is an F100 ;) so then all of us have F100 has we both them around the same time. Ohhh and correct that he have the F200 not the F300! hehehe It seems I lost track of all the different model number.

On the image posted i see clearly F100 !!

He also have an F300 (yes the white one with the stylus and touch screen).
This is the F200 B) the touchscreen is on F200 only ...
The F300 model doesn't exist ! (for now)

Sorry i posted before your edit...anyway GOOD WORK

Just to let people know that we are currently working on a different type of demo which will be more of a demo scene style.

But it willstill be using @fcycles hardware libs routine develop as seen on the space shooter demo, this demo is to put in practice what he learn and test the different ability of what the hardware of the :gp2x GP2X can do.

Ohh and hopefully the support for PAL should work out of the box... hmm maybe I shouldn't say too much about this demo will contains B) if not @fycles might send some :ph34r: after me :lol:

For the moment its still TBA, we will let you know more details about it later on.

f-cycles said:
Hi everyones,

I've decided to post this video on youtube of a non-interactive demo I've work on in order to validate some concepts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQdX5G6XeZ0

Enjoy! :)
The screen resolution is 720x480 (ntsc) - not the default 320x240

1) I *LOVE* that music! Reminds me of the old Amiga demo about those pyramids, the name escapes me atm
2) The game looks gorgeous! The animation seems very well done
3) It looks like a space invaders clone, not terribly fond of those, i kinda expected something more akin to R-Type from the intro, but very nicely done! I'm sure there will be plenty of people intrested in it :)

Well, my first idea was to test if something like Ikaruga can be made on it. Of course, there is no 3d background for the moment and has its say it was only a prototype.

The graphics were mostly rip from the web as it was a prototype. I got another demo of that kind of stuff which has own made graphic and where we can move a space ship and shoot using a usb gamepad or the gp2x itself.

Back