Gp2x Or Psp

I spotted a great price on a PSP on ebay a while ago and grabbed a used one, and a game.

I'm extremely impressed by the hardware. New, it's a fair bit more expensive than the gp2x and Sony manufactures them by the millions and still sells them at a loss so the hardware being very nifty is certainly not a surprise. The game I got is "Wipeout Pure" -- holy cow, what an impressive game! Again, the scale is completely different than with the Gp2x. The studio making that game may expect to sell hundreds of thousands of copies at a good price each, so just imagine the resources that go into making a game like this. Add to that the PSP's 3D hardware and the result is really amazingly impressive and cool.

I'm sure I could buy more games that I'd enjoy also, there's a pretty big catalog. The money starts to add up; the PSP is not an economical system.

Despite this praise, the gp2x is a lot more fun. Even though I have never installed an emulator, there's enough cool quirky fun stuff coming out all the time for free to chek out.

To me the gp2x is like a TV -- easy to browse around and check out programs, many of which are pretty entertaining but not amazingly spectacular. Extra bonus: the people making the shows are all part of a community I belong to.

The PSP is like a movie theater. Big screen, special effects, but the popcorn is $10 and I don't live in Hollywood.

Both have their place, but I only go to see a movie maybe a few times a year.

The PSP is worth it just for Loco Roco. Everyone should buy that game. It's utterly superb.

*sniffles*
I'm sure I could buy more games that I'd enjoy also, there's a pretty big catalog. The money starts to add up; the PSP is not an economical system.

Despite this praise, the gp2x is a lot more fun. Even though I have never installed an emulator, there's enough cool quirky fun stuff coming out all the time for free to chek out.

To me the gp2x is like a TV -- easy to browse around and check out programs, many of which are pretty entertaining but not amazingly spectacular. Extra bonus: the people making the shows are all part of a community I belong to.

The PSP is like a movie theater. Big screen, special effects, but the popcorn is $10 and I don't live in Hollywood.

Both have their place, but I only go to see a movie maybe a few times a year.
Dzz, you literally summed up my feelings. That's scary. The GP2X is my TV, my friend, my thing I can play emulated games, homebrew, movies and MP3's. It's my toy, my "does lots of things" and doesn't whine if I leave it sitting at home and turture small children (mine). It's also not so boring that I don't find myself playing it at home, where there's a PS2, XBOX, TV & aging PC competing for attention. Wife & kids come first, but thankfully they're not always in my lap. (Not that I don't appreciate that, but you know what I mean.)

Great write-up.

Just ordered a gp2x, all of your opinions helped make the decision. Thanks.

I too had both but now have put my psp on sale at ebay. Loco Roco was the last game i bought as it was suppose to be the best game on the psp but i found it utterly dull i use my gp2x a hell off alot more. Too me handhelds are about simple games none of this 3d nonsense the psp has proved it just doesnt work. This probably explains why my ds gets played alot more and is selling better than the psp

I know! My GP2X is perfect for all the situations it was designed for: portable boredom solution.

I use it to:
  1. play music (MP3 player - not easy to change songs or volume but I deal with it, don't like it but I deal).
  2. Play NEO GEO games (arcade games are great for short spurts - sucks that I can't reload a save on it though)
  3. Genesis games (same as above with saves)
  4. Other games - OpenBoR, Quake, Vektar demo, Beat2x, etc.
  5. Rewatching episodes of Deadwood while in a line
Much of that I couldn't do on a PSP.

I have both. Plus I have a Dell Axim x51v. GP2X is much more functional. Not more powerful but absolutely more functional.

PSP is a toy. GP2X is a tool. This is the difference. B)

PSP is a money trap for childs. No USB Host, no TV-Out, no Homebrew, no surprises like MMU hack or BoB. GP2X fills a big gap in a portable electronic devices age.

The PSP has some great emulators on it but just 'feels wrong', if you know what I mean? The GP32 had an even better feel about it than the GP2X, in my view.

David Beoulve posted on Aug 4 2006 at 03:49 PM said:
I know! My GP2X is perfect for all the situations it was designed for: portable boredom solution.

I use it to:
  1. play music (MP3 player - not easy to change songs or volume but I deal with it, don't like it but I deal).
  2. Play NEO GEO games (arcade games are great for short spurts - sucks that I can't reload a save on it though)
  3. Genesis games (same as above with saves)
  4. Other games - OpenBoR, Quake, Vektar demo, Beat2x, etc.
  5. Rewatching episodes of Deadwood while in a line
Much of that I couldn't do on a PSP.

Pretty off-topic - But what games is that in your sig (Game on the left)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back