Gp2x Or Psp

None of those PSP guys had even seen a GP2X in real life, how can they give a proper opinion? The little information they did have was from the pre-release units and doesn't apply to the new Mk2's.

The replies you received on this board are from people who OWN both handhelds so they can give a true, balanced view.

While I own a psp, I don't really like it that much. I bought it for the cool factor, and was disappointed when it got no good games besides mercury and gta rehashes.

Though I have to admit at first the gp2x had very little, now it's getting quite interesting with lots of new stuff.

"I'm appauled that some1 would actually ask such a question.The PSP of coure!"

- Yes, how very 'appauling', the PSP roxxors the gp2x in every possible way. ... ... Wait, what is the gp2x anyway? Doesn't matter, even Chuck Norris can't beat the psp.

I will admit that the PSP is a lot more accessible in a way, a lot of people already have one and you don't have to spend 5 minutes explaining what a GP2X/GP32 is everytime someone asks you.

And the PSP does have some decent commercial games. I personally might pick one up just for the Capcom re-makes that are being made. Plus it has a nice widescreen display for watching movies (Or playing games, you don't HAVE to stretch the screen you know), better SNES emulator (Though I only mention this because I LOVE the SNES), and it honestly looks like it has better controls (The spacing out of the face buttons and the D-Pad leave much to be desired for the GP2X -- I cannot stand the stiff stick and the cheap feeling face buttons that are really close). Plus, it's been out longer and thus has more programs/developers.

Quite honestly, I feel the PSP is superior to the GP2X in every way, except:
1. The community - I prefer close-knit communities like this website over large communities like the PSP homebrew scene
2. Sony's efforts to stop homebrewing - Because of the need of PSPs of a certain firmware, I've lost interest as I'd have to buy used (Which I usually don't like to do, especially with electronics, and most especially with something with an lcd screen). HOWEVER, I remember reading somewhere that the whole firmware thing has been solved and that you don't need a 1.5 PSP anymore to play homebrew stuff.

These two reasons are why I bought a GP2X over a PSP.

Last edited by a moderator:
And the PSP does have some decent commercial games. I personally might pick one up just for the Capcom re-makes that are being made.
lol. Your example are some games that haven't been released yet?! :D
I'm talking about games that have been made, are currently being made, and will be made in the future. Basically, all the capcom re-makes that are being made, such the MMX and MM1 remakes, along with Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins, with the MMX2 remake in the future. It also has some other games that are interesting, though I don't remember their names all to well (But going through the games list on GameFaqs I see a TON of franchises that are very appealing). Gradius Collection and SFA3 and Mercury are appealing too. Daxter and Wipeout Pure (Or Fusion, whatever it's called) look like fun as well. There's also Astonishia Story...

EDIT: Going through the GameSpot reviews index, here's some PSP games that I find interesting:
Lemmings
Me and My Katamari
X-Men Legends 2
Sims 2
SSX On Tour
DJ Max Portable
Breath of Fire III
Suikoden I + II
Tales of Eternia

EDIT2: Is there something wrong with remakes (they DO have extras you know...)? Is there something wrong with playing your favorite classics with revamped graphics and sound? Remakes are for people who REALLY loved a game. I love the Megaman series to death (With X2 being my favorite, hence why I'm looking forward to Capcom re-making it) and thus I love the idea of playing it with modern graphics and sound. I bet if this was something like that FFVII technical demo at E3 last year, people wouldn't scoff as much. I never understood the dislike for remakes. Is it the idea of paying for old games (Even though they have been revamped?)? If so, then obviously they aren't the market for you. I only buy remakes of games that I really like. And I absolutely love the Megaman X series and have the soundtrack to X1-X6.

My friend used to laugh at me for getting a gp2x . . .

He has a psp and he had 1.5 firmware and he played the emulators quite a bit and told me they were better than anything the gp2x would get. Then they came out with new commercial games that he wanted, so I bought those. They forced him to upgrade his firmware. He now has the newest firmware and can no longer play homebrew. I asked him about the gta hack because I read you could use that to play homebrew, but he told me that it is such a pain in the ass he doesn't bother with it. He's now considering buying a second psp to play homebrew. What a waste of money. If he does, he will have spent about $500 on the psp, not including the $150 he spent on his memory stick and all of the money he spent on games. What a waste.

So, if you really are only ever going to use the psp for emulation and you don't mind a blurry, stretched, screen, then it might be the better choice because of its snes emulation. However, the gp2x snes emulation is getting much better and if it continues to improve I'm sure we will have a snes emulator that is almost as good as the psp one. The gp2x also has better neogeo, genesis/megadrive, MAME, and (at least in my opinion) homebrew games.

Good point you brought up:
The firmware issue

Why it is not a problem:
They have a program called Dev hook witch allows you to use 2.5 firmware without updating from 1.5, They are also comming out with a Mod chip that can run two sepperate firmwares at anytime.

The PsP games are really expensive and not that great

Why it is not a problem:
I am not here for the PsP games, "***"I am here for the Emulation/homebrew"***"(not for the commercial psp games), The commercial games are just a bonus..... I only said they have a few good games, Also They have programs were you can put psp isos on your memery card and play them off that.

The PsP screen is bad

Why it is not a problem:
I accually like it it plays smooth, it's huge and looks great as far as I can tell. Althow I have not played any emulation on it so I would not know about how the screen looks with that.

Psp Has no Tv out

Why it is not a problem:

Psp acctually has a Tv out adapter you can buy and I would take Wifi over Tv out anyday

-In closing I would never ugrade my firmware if it ment I would loose homebrew, because that is why I am really buying the sytem.

They have quite an array more homebrew ports and player made games than I excpected:

http://psp-homebrew.eu/homebrew.php

They also have a very Large number of emulators running fullspeed with sound(snes!) and are further along on emulation then the gp2x on "most" systems:

Emulators for PSP

-x86/PC
Bochs PSP
PSP Dosbox
-Amiga
PSP UAE
-Amstrad CPC
CPCPSP
PSPCap32
-Apple II
Apple II Portable
-Apple Macintosh
Basilisk II
-Atari 130
PSP Atari
-Atari 800
Atari800 PSP
PSP Atari
-Atari 2600
Stella PSP
-Atari 5200
PSP Atari
-Atari Jaguar
Virtual Jaguar Port
-Atari Lynx
Handy PSP
PLynx
-Atari ST
Castaway/PSP
-BBC Micro
PSPBEEB
Chip 8
PSPChip8
-Colecovision
EmuCol
PSP Colem
-Commodore64
c64PSP
PSPVice
-Dreamcast VMU
VMU Emulator
-Gameboy Advance
Brunni`s GBA Emu
GBA Emulator for PSP
PSPGBA
VBA for PSP
-Gameboy/Gameboy Colour
GeMP
Homers Rin
PSPGnuboy
-Rin
Rin Unnoficial
-Gamegear
EmuGG
-Genesis (Megadrive)
Dgen PSP
Generator/PSP
-Megadrive for PSP
PSPAdrive
-PSP Genesis
HP48 Calculator
PSPX48
-Intellivision
PSPInt
-MAME (Arcade)
MAME4ALL PSP
Mame 0.71
PSPMame
XMame PSP
-Master System
EmuSMS
SMS Plus
SMS PSP
-MSX
fMSX
Hitbit
PSP MSX
-Neo Geo Pocket
NGPSP
-Neo Geo CD
NEOGEO CD
NeoGeo CDZ
NeoCDPSP
-Nes
InfoNes
Famicontest
Nes for PSP
Nesterj PSP
PSPfceUltra
UO Nesterj
-Nintendo64
Daedalus PSP (Compat List)
Nincest64
Monkey 64 (Compat List)
-Odyssey
EmuODD
-PC9801E
Neko Project 2
-PC Engine
e[mulator] for PSP
Hue for PSP
PCEP
XPCE for PSP
-PSX/PSOne
PSPSONE
-Pyuta
InfoPyuta
-SamCoupé
PSPSIM
-ScummVM
ScummVM PSP
-Snes
Snes9x PSP
Snes9x Optimised
SnesPSP_TYL
UoSnesPSP_TYL
UoSnes9x PSP
UoSnes9x PD
-Spectrum
PsPectrum
TI 92
PSPXTI
-Vectrex
PSPVecx
-Wonderswan
Cygne
e[mulator] for PSP
eSwan
Oswan PSP
Pswan

They Also have quite a large community and alot of dev teams., But I think you guys are Great to.

*The only thing I am worried about is that they will force firmware updates on me and thus I would loose the reason I bought it.

Am I missing anything?

"Why it is not a problem:
I actually like it it plays smooth, it's huge and looks great as far as I can tell. Althow I have not played any emulation on it so I would not know about how the screen looks with that.

Try saying that after playing SF3 in motion, ghosting is visible all over the place. A lot of games can hide it pretty well but for emulation? Doesn't cut it. It is very noticable.

Define 'alot'. The GP2X has full speed with sound on NeoGeo MVS/AES with support for large roms. The Playstation emulator is coming along nicely. Ports tend to be easier on the GP2X due to the Linux kernal base. We have a lot of homebrew in such a short amount of time (8 months).

On the flip side, the PSP has a fantastic Snes emulator and the N64 is coming along quite well.

Edit: In that list, I say the GP2X can do 90% of that stuff. Better in some cases (eg Mame), worst in some others (eg Snes).

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA4aN4p5QJQ&search=gp2x

Ok, heres my take on this thread....

It kind of comes back to the old "my console is better than yours" thing. Being 36 I think I can bring something to this... "old blokes wisdom" and the like. :D

So heres my take...

I have a DS, I love my DS...cool games, you can pick it up and play it for 5 minutes without a problem or you can pick it up and play it for 5 hours...still not a problem.

I looked at the PSP, but decided that although its more powerful than the DS, the games didn't have the same "pick up and play" feel about them. Longer loading times and less fun games meant that I really couldn't have played it for 5 minutes easily.

To see which commercial handheld is the best to get, you really need to look at the Japanese market, which the DS is trouncing the PSP in. I buy and sell on eBay, and you wouldn't believe the shortage of DS' at Christmas. I was selling Nintendogs packs for closing £200!

Now....Why did I buy the GP2x?

Because i'm a bit of a gadget freak...Plus having being a programmer for the past 18 years of my life, I really fancied writing some stuff for it. I looked at the PSP homebrew scene and noted the pitfalls of the version 2 firmware, and decided that for £100 I could get a console which was specifically for homebrew.

So OP what do you REALLY want? If you really want homebrew, go for the GP2x, i've never regretted getting it, and believe me when I tell you, the NeoGeo emulation is nothing short of awesome, real arcade machines in your pocket blows people away....And even though they are from the 90s, the graphics are still stunning (lets face it, thats what really impresses people).

If you want commercial games, then you need to look at the PSP for better looking but ultimately longer play session games, or the DS if you want less better looking but far more innovative games you can pick up and play for a few minutes.

Just my take, but ultimately its your decision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiaQ1Xjb2wU...psp%20emulation

The PSP screen seems to look fine running Emulated games

* I am really wondering how the PSP emulation/homebrew sceen compares to the Gp2x sceen. Quality, potential, speed, ease, enjoyment, functionality ...ect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiaQ1Xjb2wU...psp%20emulation

The PSP screen seems to look fine running Emulated games

* I am really wondering how the PSP emulation/homebrew sceen compares to the Gp2x sceen. Quality, potential, speed, ease, enjoyment, functionality ...ect.
Is there not any way you can try both out? Do you not know anyone who has a GP2X and/or the necessary PSP setup?

Probably enough said on this already.
Between PSP and GP2X (I have both), I would choose the GP2X without hesitation.
With your focus being emulation, you'd have to go with the GP2X. If you're a poor student, then you probably won't be able to afford new UMD games, so emulation is your best option.
I'm surprised you didn't mention MAME as one of your emulated interests - GP2X MAME is fantastic! There's no decent MAME emulation on the PSP.

Which version SNES emulator are you using on the PSP? Which is the best?

BTW - if you want to get an SD card - get something like a RiData.They are the fastest SD cards around. Sandisk are a bit overpriced for what you get (considerably slower).

Other things I don't like about the PSP.
Rechanging. If you don't use it for a while - you still have to recharge it... It's always using the batteries. Drives me nuts. Like know, powered it on. Nada!

The screen on the PSP is nice... if you like static displays. Once things get moving that's where the problem is. Don't be fooled into viewing photos or games that don't move much.

the screen on the psp is a lot better then this scanline filled monstrousity

that stuff about recharging is bull, that only happens because most users dont tun it off but put it on standby

Back