Gp2x New Revision: Will It Come Soon?

Denus

Still Fresh
Website
mamecabinet.blogspot.com
As we all know, there are a few little problems with the device (joystick etc).
I wonder if we will see a revision of the GP2X soon, with the existing issues fixed.

In other words: is it wise to wait a little longer?

Denus posted on Feb 26 2006 at 01:12 AM said:
As we all know, there are a few little problems with the device (joystick etc).
I wonder if we will see a revision of the GP2X soon, with the existing issues fixed.

In other words: is it wise to wait a little longer?
You won't see any changes by GPH. Maybe the joystick cap, is that change still on?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep joystick cap for sure, maybe in March. Also the current screen cannot be sourced anymore, so it is likely a new screen will be used (ala BLU+). Although users might not noticed any change.

Due to the small scale production things like this will happen about twice a year.

I'd expect the 64M Nand to be hard to source towards the end of the year, and it will likely increase to 128M etc. etc.

Purist posted on Feb 26 2006 at 01:22 AM said:
damn. I would get mad if new users get 128 mb nands.
why? It's not used for anything else than the firmware anyways, and it would not be wise to use it also.

It thus really doesn't matter if you have 64 or 128mb.

Julius posted on Feb 26 2006 at 12:43 PM said:
Purist posted on Feb 26 2006 at 01:22 AM said:
why? It's not used for anything else than the firmware anyways, and it would not be wise to use it also.

It thus really doesn't matter if you have 64 or 128mb.

At first I thought it said ram and I almost died :p

Purist posted on Feb 26 2006 at 03:22 AM said:

Why?

The build in flash can not be replaced (at least easily) and 64MB is plenty for firmware. It isn't used even at half as now and because of wear factor it isn't practical for usual data storage. Keep in a mind also the generic SD cards will get cheaper then too.

craigix posted on Feb 26 2006 at 01:05 AM said:
Yep joystick cap for sure, maybe in March. Also the current screen cannot be sourced anymore, so it is likely a new screen will be used (ala BLU+). Although users might not noticed any change.

Due to the small scale production things like this will happen about twice a year.

I'd expect the 64M Nand to be hard to source towards the end of the year, and it will likely increase to 128M etc. etc.

Will the new screen be better or worse as far as brightness and contrast? Does this mean we will have the whole BLU+ mess again where all software has to be re-written again so that the graphics aren't all screwed up? God I hope not, not again ;) Now we will have to re-write everything twice a year? Talk about a moving target. That really sucks.

I bought one about a week ago and all I can't see any issues with the screen - I don't think a new one will change much. Mine is bright and has no issues I've found. Not even not LCD hardware issues like diagonal lines etc.

I'm very happily surprised by the screen - it is clear and bright, far exceeded my expectations.

As for the joystick. I really don't see what everyone is going on about it so much. Yes the diagonals are easier to hit than horz and vert but is it unusable? No, plenty of people seem to play plenty of games with it no sweat - just be more accurate :)

They might change the cap but I can't see them changing the internals. That would mean a new component, new pcb for it, different behaviour potentially etc etc. All after putting ~10,000 (total guess) into the market place.

If you are holding off getting one becuase of the bugs mentioned around the place, don't hold off.

The unit is great, works well and any changes aren't going to be huge (well nothing anyone is talking of so far is huge).

DaveC posted on Feb 26 2006 at 06:08 AM said:

Will the new screen be better or worse as far as brightness and contrast? Does this mean we will have the whole BLU+ mess again where all software has to be re-written again so that the graphics aren't all screwed up? God I hope not, not again ;) Now we will have to re-write everything twice a year? Talk about a moving target. That really sucks.

No even if the screen would be rotated by 90 degress. Thankfully the gp2x's chipset has hardware capability of rotating display surfaces exactly by the same amount.

Radek posted on Feb 26 2006 at 04:23 AM said:

No even if the screen would be rotated by 90 degress. Thankfully the gp2x's chipset has hardware capability of rotating display surfaces exactly by the same amount.

I fear the new screen could possibly be a dim display with poor black level and contrast. Also will the old software all have a big white bar going across like the BLU+ or be flickery or something? will there have to be two versions of everything for old and new GP2Xs? Why this again GPH, why? *bangs head against the wall* I though we left this fucking mess behind with the GP32 BLU :angry:

DaveC posted on Feb 26 2006 at 07:04 AM said:
Radek posted on Feb 26 2006 at 04:23 AM said:

I fear the new screen could possibly be a dim display with poor black level and contrast. Also will the old software all have a big white bar going across like the BLU+ or be flickery or something? will there have to be two versions of everything for old and new GP2Xs? Why this again GPH, why? *bangs head against the wall* I though we left this fucking mess behind with the GP32 BLU :angry:

Read what I wrote, damn! ;)

The MMSP2 is certainly capable of driving of many types of displays. There should not be any problems with software compatibility unless something will be screwed in the firmware. And why such changes well... why some company would sustain manufacturing of something just for the GPH? After how many units the GPH will be making per year - 10K, 20K, 30K? Still not enough to have guaranteed supply from one source. Except of course the GPH could buy let's say 500K units in an advance. Rather not possible nor practical.

Radek posted on Feb 26 2006 at 05:33 AM said:

The MMSP2 is certainly capable of driving of many types of displays. There should not be any problems with software compatibility unless something will be screwed in the firmware. And why such changes well... why some company would sustain manufacturing of something just for the GPH? After how many units the GPH will be making per year - 10K, 20K, 30K? Still not enough to have guaranteed supply from one source. Except of course the GPH could buy let's say 500K units in an advance. Rather not possible nor practical.

Well maybe they should source their displays from a company that supplies their screens to other large companies that order large quantities. For example a PMP manufacturer that uses lots of similar screens. If GPH used the same ones their order would combine with the other to make it worthwhile.

DaveC posted on Feb 26 2006 at 09:51 AM said:
Radek posted on Feb 26 2006 at 05:33 AM said:

Well maybe they should source their displays from a company that supplies their screens to other large companies that order large quantities. For example a PMP manufacturer that uses lots of similar screens. If GPH used the same ones their order would combine with the other to make it worthwhile.

That would be good for uniformity however products do change and evolve. The manufacturing lines might need the upgrading or replacing so eventually even from a single company you can get a something different than before.

The good example of it are motherboards for PCes. They usually have two-three revision for one model. The same goes for cpus - same model but from different batches with effect of changed power consumption for an example. Yet the company will not change the model name. Just the serial printed somewhere on the product (using cryptic codes at that).

Only the military grade components have full repeatability but at cost. For consumer level products it isn't economically feasible.

DaveC we will not have the same issues as with blu+ again, software dosnt acces the screen direcktly anymore as we are useing linux, so the timeings are defined in linux itself not the software.

Vimacs posted on Feb 26 2006 at 08:21 AM said:
DaveC we will not have the same issues as with blu+ again, software dosnt acces the screen direcktly anymore as we are useing linux, so the timeings are defined in linux itself not the software.

That is when using linux.

What happens when/if HH is out? Trouble. That uses the hardware directly. HH mode emus like DrMD will use screen timing and raster interrupts for things like water palette scanline switches. Reesy has said that is not doable in linux but will be for HH mode.

DaveC posted on Feb 26 2006 at 07:28 PM said:
Vimacs posted on Feb 26 2006 at 08:21 AM said:

That is when using linux.

What happens when/if HH is out? Trouble. That uses the hardware directly. HH mode emus like DrMD will use screen timing and raster interrupts for things like water palette scanline switches. Reesy has said that is not doable in linux but will be for HH mode.

Dude, freaking listen. The display is interfaced with the MMSP2 chipset. The LCD suddenly is no longer an issue, providing it's the same size. End of story. Please, please relax, you freak out over everything like someone has invaded your space. You're a nice guy, just don't worry so much! :)

Allan.

Radek posted on Feb 26 2006 at 08:13 AM said:
Only the military grade components have full repeatability but at cost. For consumer level products it isn't economically feasible.

I work for the military and we get stiffed worse than you think. Basically because the muppets that agree contracts on our behalf seem to have no buiseness background. :(

Trashman posted on Feb 26 2006 at 10:00 AM said:
I work for the military and we get stiffed worse than you think. Basically because the muppets that agree contracts on our behalf seem to have no buiseness background. :(
I hope you don't have to kill us all now :ph34r:
That seems to happen nearly everywhere, the guys at the top don't have a clue.

Back