Gp2x Mkii - Better Viewing Angle When Held Upside Down?

slaanesh

Certified Guru
Website
www.slaanesh.net
Looking at my GP2X upside down seems to give me better viewing angles. The colors seem lighter and have better contrast then when I view it right way up.

ie. When I hold it right way up, even small angles seem to make the screen look dark.
Upside down, at that same angle, the screen seems to have a much nicer and more natural brightness and contrast.

Is the LCD screen upside down?

Anyone else noticed this?

Can it be opened up and somehow flipped around? Or will this need the signal to the LCD to also be adjusted?

Yep, I've commented a couple times before about this. I'm pretty sure my screen is fitted upside down from having to tilt it in the opposite direction to which I'd expect to get a better view.

Well you could try to override your brains ability to flip the image produced in your eyes and just play it "upside down" :blink:

I think they're actually made like that, MK2 here also.

Mind you, I've been wondering about the exact same thing re whether it can be changed or not, anyone know?

I've also noticed this about viewing angle... just for the record. Pretty much the only thing that bothers me about the otherwise good-for-the-price screen; I have to hold the GP2X in my palms just a bit differently than what would be the "extreme comfort angle" :p

If this is true, then I am definitely not purchasing the MKII from Gp2x.co.uk. I was totally gonna buy the 275 mhz version! I will stick to my trustworthy 2nd edition that I can actually angle towards my line of vision, lol. I hope this is not the case with all MKII's. Where is the MKII manufactured?

It's not as bad as it sounds really.. it just means you have to look at it straight on, or tilt the top towards yourself a bit.

Still pretty silly if it really is on upside down.

Its not upside down, as the cables go in to the screen the same way if it was up or down, so the data would be the same.

huh? i have an Mk2 and ive been looking at my 2x in just about every angle and it is fine...am i missing something?

sonofsamus posted on Oct 24 2006 at 09:45 AM said:
Lol, someone's going to do an LCD inversion mod now. . .
Bring it on... :D

The only reason I mention this is that I was using VICE and Frodo and they both looked a lot better when I was looking at my GP2X when it was upside down. I noticed the same thing with MAME. It looked dark from what I would consider to be a normal angle and a lot better when it was the other way around.

It's not that it took that long to find it, I noticed the acute viewing angles on the first day that I got my MKII. I marvelled at the flicker-free display and cursed the narrow viewing angle. It's like fix one thing and bugger something else up.

It's kind of annoying really, isn't this something that GPH should have tested? Or did they just blindly purchase 10,000 LCD screens without checking them out first? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tested mine with Sonic and Knuckles on Pico Drive (very colorful game) and it looked the exact same to me up down left or right :p

Lupin posted on Oct 24 2006 at 12:16 PM said:
I just tested mine with Sonic and Knuckles on Pico Drive (very colorful game) and it looked the exact same to me up down left or right :p
Well there must be different screens amonst the MKIIs? Or is it a software thing?

If you've got VICE and Frodo, try just starting them up and check out the differences in the hues of the basic, blue C64 startup screen. Frodo is really bad and low contrasting. If I view the same thing upside down, it appears to be somewhat better.

Altering the settings in the LCD Settings seems to do sweet FA, however, adjusting Picodrive's gamma option results in a better looking (brightness/constrast) screen.

Does this mean it is a software thing?

EDIT: It must be. I've just played around with Picodrive... the viewing angle is a lot better. It's like a different screen... I think hardware Gamma option is a must for GP2X software (assuming this is what is making the difference?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back