Gp2x Mentioned At Linux.conf.au Talk ..

torpor

hack hack hack, the little machines fight back
Website
w1xer.at
Chris McCormick (a fellow sandgroper and games coder), did a nice talk on the GP2X and handheld Linux hacking in general at the recent linux.conf.au conference:

http://lca2007.linux.org.au/talk/172

Check it out! Nice array of gear on stage .. hopefully we'll get a few interested hackers from the show.

Hands up if you were there, anyone?

Wow! AU$400 for a GP2X in Australia vs. AU$200 for a DS? Much less of a difference in the US with GP2X @ US$189 and the DS @ US$129.

Also, hope no one buys into the rumor related by someone in the audience during the QA session about GH being about to stop shipping the GP2X because they're cash strapped. (or did I hear it wrong - audio of audience isn't good and Java video player doesn't have rewind function).

sand groper = Person from Western Australia (it's mostly desert)
crow eater = Person from South Australia (their football team are the Crows)
banana bender = Person from Queensland (tropical/troppo area)

Not sure about the others. I know Queenslanders often refer to NSW and Vic as Mexicans (they're south of the border)...

Wow! AU$400 for a GP2X in Australia vs. AU$200 for a DS? Much less of a difference in the US with GP2X @ US$189 and the DS @ US$129.

I'm not sure where Chris got his info about the GP2X being $400, but they actually retail for $249 in Australia. www.gp2x.net.au

Also, hope no one buys into the rumor related by someone in the audience during the QA session about GH being about to stop shipping the GP2X because they're cash strapped.

We had a small stall at the open day and a couple of people asked us about the whole GPH going out of business?? It was strange, we talk with GPH at least a couple of times a week and they are definately NOT going out of business. Just thought I'd clear that up.

Some of us at the open day were speculating if the rumor monger was a Sony or Nintendo rep???? :)

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
$400 in Oz would get you a GP2X (courtesy gp2x.net.au), TV-Out, PSU, 2gb card (via dodgy Hong Kong eBay sellers), a battery charger + batteries, and still have plenty left for a good dinner.

It seems to be cheaper here (locally) than anywhere else, thank buggery.

The talk and the stand were great at the conference. Pity about getting the price wrong. I got mine from gp2x.net.au for $250AU.

I'm sure the gp2x.net.au guys put most people right at the Open Day.

I think he said that he bought some of the extras too, plus a charger and some decent batteries for that price.

EDIT: Console, TV-out cable, power supply and breakout board takes it right up to $380 AUD.

Back