Gp2x Killed My Sd Card...

Gadget

I was testing an application using telnet, launched it, tested and then exited. Upon exit the whole thing locked. Switched off the GP2X and back on again and was horrified that the GP2X didn't get past the 2nd loading screen (green one).

I took out the SD card and tried again and it booted OK. Put the SD card in and the device locked.

I put the card in Windows XP and it read it fine, so I backed it up to my PC HDD. Then formated, all OK. Put the files back on and it errored half way through, complaining about a directory path being too deep.

From that point on I can no longer read the card at all. I put it in the reader and it lights up for 20 seconds, then goes off, then repeats. Tried it in my Pocket PC, Nikon camera, all to no avail.

Does anyone know if it's possible to do a low level format in linux? IF I could get it to mount that is...

It's a SanDisk 1Gb btw. 2 months old ='(

aapje89 posted on Jul 23 2006 at 06:58 PM said:
have you tried mkdosfs? (for linux/windows)

No, I don't think it's even being mounted correctly. From what I have read today, if an SD cards 'hidden, secure' area gets corrupted, the card is useless. It looks to me like that's what has happened.

SanDisk cards are covered by a 5 year warranty, so I just need SanDisk support to tell me where to ship it to now. =(

It's made me paranoid about transfering files directly to the GP2X using FTP. It probably wasn't anything to do with the FTP, but I think something the GP2X did corrupted it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bah, ask someone for an image of the card, we can dd it on linux, that should contain everything.

Try formatting it (on linux), and then copy just 1 app onto it, not your whole set.

Gadget posted on Jul 23 2006 at 11:24 PM said:

No, I don't think it's even being mounted correctly. From what I have read today, if an SD cards 'hidden, secure' area gets corrupted, the card is useless. It looks to me like that's what has happened.

SanDisk cards are covered by a 5 year warranty, so I just need SanDisk support to tell me where to ship it to now. =(

It's made me paranoid about transfering files directly to the GP2X using FTP. It probably wasn't anything to do with the FTP, but I think something the GP2X did corrupted it.
I had a corrupted sd card once, nothing would work, but when I put it in my dvd-recorder which has an SDcard slot, it formatted just fine! :D

So try doing that, or try formatting it in a digital camera or something.

aapje89 posted on Jul 24 2006 at 11:44 AM said:
Gadget posted on Jul 23 2006 at 11:24 PM said:

I had a corrupted sd card once, nothing would work, but when I put it in my dvd-recorder which has an SDcard slot, it formatted just fine! :D

So try doing that, or try formatting it in a digital camera or something.

The following won't see it as a valid disk:- Cannon DV Camcorder, Nikon Digital Camera, SD slot on XP, Toshiba E355 Pocket PC. I think it's safe to assume it's dead beyond recovery.

nickspoon posted on Jul 24 2006 at 01:23 PM said:
Get Damn Small Linux and try formatting it in that. I believe you can get an SD image to dd with somewhere.

What do you mean by dd?

Gadget posted on Jul 24 2006 at 03:37 PM said:
nickspoon posted on Jul 24 2006 at 01:23 PM said:
Get Damn Small Linux and try formatting it in that. I believe you can get an SD image to dd with somewhere.

What do you mean by dd?
dd is a linux command, you can use it to write an image of an SD to the corrupted SD card and see if that works.

ARGGHHH! It turns out that the card is a FAKE!! There are millions of fake SanDisk cards on the market at the moment.

Apparently, a GENIUNE SanDisk card has a 4 digit product ID on the back of the card. 2 letters, 2 numbers. I just had a long S/N

AK0604QM Made in Taiwan = FAKE

So, I have to wait for my new 2Gb one I just ordered on EBAY. I hope that's not fake as well...

EDIT: This probably explains why some people have a problem with SanDisk cards whilst flashing, and some don't. Clearly, some are really SanDisk, and some aren't.

I'm having a similar problem. A couple of days ago, I turned on my GP2X and it froze on the second loading screen. I hadn't done anything to the card before, and it turned off ok. I took the card out and it booted fine, and after putting the card in, that worked fine too. I even put Doom on it and played that for a while. Yesterday, after it had run out of batteries, I put new batteries in, turned it on, and nothing showed up on the SD card. I put it in the card reader on my computer and windows told me it wasn't formatted. After formatting, everything seemed fine (except for there being nothing on the card :angry: ), and I could explore it in windows explorer. It looked just like a card that had nothing on it. I took it out and put it back in the GP2X, explored the card with it, and but it back in the computer. Windows said it wasn't formatted again. I tried formatting it a few times in FAT, FAT32, quick format, full format, and now when I try to right click on the card from windows explorer, it freezes and I have to end task with the task manager. It won't be reconized in any of the devices I have that use SD cards.

I have the same card as Gadget, Sandisk Ultra II 1GB. It seems my card may also be a fake, the ID is longer, but it is made in China. Gadget, where did you hear that the number has to be 2 letters and 2 numbers?

So what does everybody think? Should I buy a new sd card? What if my GP2X does the same thing to that card? Or is it not the GP2X's fault? If it is, what could be the problem?

Funkaholic posted on Jul 24 2006 at 09:40 PM said:
I'm having a similar problem. A couple of days ago, I turned on my GP2X and it froze on the second loading screen. I hadn't done anything to the card before, and it turned off ok. I took the card out and it booted fine, and after putting the card in, that worked fine too. I even put Doom on it and played that for a while. Yesterday, after it had run out of batteries, I put new batteries in, turned it on, and nothing showed up on the SD card. I put it in the card reader on my computer and windows told me it wasn't formatted. After formatting, everything seemed fine (except for there being nothing on the card :angry: ), and I could explore it in windows explorer. It looked just like a card that had nothing on it. I took it out and put it back in the GP2X, explored the card with it, and but it back in the computer. Windows said it wasn't formatted again. I tried formatting it a few times in FAT, FAT32, quick format, full format, and now when I try to right click on the card from windows explorer, it freezes and I have to end task with the task manager. It won't be reconized in any of the devices I have that use SD cards.

I have the same card as Gadget, Sandisk Ultra II 1GB. It seems my card may also be a fake, the ID is longer, but it is made in China. Gadget, where did you hear that the number has to be 2 letters and 2 numbers?

So what does everybody think? Should I buy a new sd card? What if my GP2X does the same thing to that card? Or is it not the GP2X's fault? If it is, what could be the problem?

I called the SanDisk warranty line to get it done under the 5 year warranty. As soon as he said there should be 2 letters and then 2 numbers on the back of the card to identify the SanDisk product code.

Back