Gp2x Joystick Exposed - The Internals

The most ideal solutions needs to be in software As not everyone is adept at sticking stuff inside a peice of technology that they have very little knowledge of. Setting up games to play with case 2 for 2D games maybe. You know while they arnt as reliant on the full range of motion, you still have to occasionally shoot diagnally. 3D games could be programed to use the controller in one of the more diagnal friendly variations.

Is this at all feasible? If so it;d be nice to get started on doing just that because playing Tilematch is a pain when half my left, right (as well as Up and down) presses go unregognised because it registeres as a diagnal.

The only *real* solution is to fit a 4-way and an 8-way joystick of have one that switches. Given the choice I would rather have an 8-way joystick than a 4-way, but then my arcade speet spot was 1985 :)

blargh
I'm just trying to decide whether I should put you on my ignore list... :blink:

That will hurt me :lol: Its...an 8-way joystick

Last edited by a moderator:
TO DaveC:

2 quick things,

1st, I don't quite get the shape of the contactor hat from your picture, could you maybe get some pics of that piece from a different angle?

2nd, if we did rotate it by 45­° would we be able to modify the hat with a shim or something to decrease the deadzone?

TO DaveC:

2 quick things,

1st, I don't quite get the shape of the contactor hat from your picture, could you maybe get some pics of that piece from a different angle?

2nd, if we did rotate it by 45­° would we be able to modify the hat with a shim or something to decrease the deadzone?

It is like a metal disk where the disk itself is common (ground). Now picture when you spin a coin on edge and as it slows it goes from standing up to almost flat but it is still moving. That is the way the hat is when you press a direction, kind of like that coin that is almost flat on the table but is still touching at a point. As you tilt that round hat an edge wil make contact with one (or more if it is in-between 2) of those 8 contacts.

If you rotate 45° you will then make the larger contacts X,Y. It may be possible to put a shim inbetween the hat and that top retainer piece to reduce deadzone.

The problem here is the rotation. since the holes in the PCboard are all drilled for the current orientation they would all have to be re-drilled. Not that big of a deal UNLESS there are traces where you need to drill. If there are you will need to re-rout the traces with wires. Things can get messy fast. I haven't ripped apart the GP2X to see if there are many traces in that area so it may not be that bad.

I feel spoilt, I've been avoiding this thread for ages in fear, that it would again turn out to be the usual rubbish, but its not. Its special

BTW try the joystick testing program and think again about rotating anything 45°

Look at DaveC's pretty pictures, look at Dave's test Case 2 compare it to three

Its an 8-way joystick from all I can tell spot on.

Can't anyone think of somthing a little more practicle like a shorter stem and and a concave end lol

Case 2 is still an 8 way joystick. The question is can it be programed to work that way? A hardware recall for something like this would break GPH and frankly just isnt feasible to ask EVERYboby to open their system to do their own modding, that's just a receipe for disaster.

Case 2 is still an 8 way joystick. The question is can it be programed to work that way? A hardware recall for something like this would break GPH and frankly just isnt feasible to ask EVERYboby to open their system to do their own modding, that's just a receipe for disaster.

Look at the little program at the bottom of the page its quite easy to follow and is quite a cute little programhttp://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Suggested_Joystick_Configurations

LOL After reading all, and thinking its all kind of rubbish. It finally becomes clear, that DaveC's original diagram is completely off the mark.

After all the hoohaa Its just a boring 8-way joystick. well thats exacty what is needed for 90% of arcade games(all the modern ones) need :).

I vote to burn DaveC's original diagram.

joystick.png

You have to admire someone who's gone to such lengths to prove themselves wrong

UPDATE: now have this picture as my background so I can laugh all day long  :D

Its too late at night to tell people :(
I'm not sure if I should take you serious or not but DaveC's diagram is actually pretty accurate (at least the one above). AFAIK, no one has said that it's not "physically" an 8-way joystick. But using logical connections it's really a 16-way and that's exactly what DaveC's diagram is showing. IMO, the only thing that is inaccurate is the proportion of the directions. They're not 35/35/10 but 25/45/10.

Most arcades use an 8-way joystick. An 8-way is operated by 4 switches representing up, down, left, and right. When you move an 8-Way joystick diagonally it will activate 2 of the switches and cause diagonal movement in games that support it.

Propotions are *everything* in one if 16-way is going to be used. See 3D example above and makes Jostick look really bad using mouse.

Case 2 On the money if soldering seems a little tricky. ;)

Case 3 Current Situation ?? the reason for soldering irons ???

Case 4 Does it even exist ??

Case 5 & 6 can't argue with that I'd go for fantasy 7 which looks an awful lot like a cross between 2 & 4

At the end of the day I fail to see how all this is not good news for 8-way joystick lovers.

Software solution my ass... no software is going to limit the contacts or if you put the stick in a deadzone make it work....

The deadzone is almost nonexistant in this stick.

You are all in denial... yes we all wish the GP2X was great, but without a RECALL it is not. I sent mine back today, and will wait until GP3X or GP2X 2nd Edition, or whatever they come out with that is right.

No. Some of us want to improve this situation and not just sitting our a**** waiting for a saviour.

It is just retarded though to say its ok... sure you can get use to anything. Hell you can get use to a monkey helping you pee but honestly why would you want to? You

I don't know. Tell us as I never would think about monkey helping me pee. :)

have rights and ability to choose... I for one will not let myself get use to something so halfass as the joystick setup on the GP2X. I had to pay a restocking fee for something that is junk!

Junk is an overstatement. Some aplications don't have much problems with it. Some ported games work pretty well with it (sprout, Duke3d, Kobo, noiz2sa, methanebrothers), some others don't (Nebulus).

And for rights yes... but you are making assumption here that something must be perfect to be enjoyable or worth having.

Meh. Maybe I shouldn't say that.

You know, David Cross has a great comedy album that you may like though.

Junk is an overstatement. Some aplications don't have much problems with it. Some ported games work pretty well with it (sprout, Duke3d, Kobo, noiz2sa, methanebrothers), some others don't (Nebulus).

There is 4 deadzones right? And I've hit each one hundreds of times in all the games you listed there. Maybe you are just so clueless or want to believe it will beok, that you refuse to see it.

First the gp2x's stick should have "8" deadzones not four as there are 8 switches. Second it's very hard to not register any direction as it will rather register combination of two nearest directions than just nothing. It's easy to test using T-mode in a firmware. Third the joytest utility proves point of using software biasing very well.

So I don't how I'm clueless here? Not that I'm immune to mistakes but there are ways to improve handling of gp2x's stick in software. It will not be perfect but certainly it will be better. Not better enough for some, that's fair. But assuming that would be so for everyone is an overstatement.

Either way I am done posting here, I no longer have GP2X and will just monitor the companies news.

Thank you.

There is 4 deadzones right? And I've hit each one hundreds of times in all the games you listed there. Maybe you are just so clueless or want to believe it will beok, that you refuse to see it.

First the gp2x's stick should have "8" deadzones not four as there are 8 switches. Second it's very hard to not register any direction as it will rather register combination of two nearest directions than just nothing. It's easy to test using T-mode in a firmware. Third the joytest utility proves point of using software biasing very well.

So I don't how I'm clueless here? Not that I'm immune to mistakes but there are ways to improve handling of gp2x's stick in software. It will not be perfect but certainly it will be better. Not better enough for some, that's fair. But assuming that would be so for everyone is an overstatement.

Either way I am done posting here, I no longer have  GP2X and will just monitor the companies news.

Thank you.

Wait a minute. Can someone clue me in on what you actually mean by "dead zone"?

Are you referring to the throw of the stick. That is the distance the stick has to bend before it makes contact with the connectors:
dz18bn.jpg

Or do you mean the 8 empty spaces between the connectors that make up the intermediate diagonals? :
dz24uk.jpg

There's a big difference between the two. So which one is the "dead zone"? :unsure:

Wait a minute. Can someone clue me in on what you actually mean by "dead zone"?

Are you referring to the throw of the stick. That is the distance the stick has to bend before it makes contact with the connectors:
dz18bn.jpg

Or do you mean the 8 empty spaces between the connectors that make up the intermediate diagonals? :
dz24uk.jpg

Yes, I mean these in this picture.

There's a big difference between the two. So which one is the "dead zone"? :unsure:

It's confusing because everyone is using his own definition.

For me a deadzone is an angle at which no direction is being registered. Then we might differentiate deadzones at hardware level and software. For a hardware there is almost none in the gp2x's stick. I could not get this stick to not register something at any angle. At least t-mode and joytest "case 1" isn't showing any sign of it (but it might be just my gp2x).

So software is getting eight flags (one for every switch) and two nearest flags can be on at the same time. So at end there are 16 directions thought they aren't equal. But what is an aplication expecting? A conventional pad with just four switches and 8 eight possible directions and even there is some biasing against diagonals. So in a worst case program is looking just for up/down/left/right switches and with this stick it's asking for troubles. In such case effective deadzone is huge and it is not surprising (only 100 degrees of 360 can register a direction!) handling might sucks...

So biasing is a must as it would be with analog joystick when simulating behavior of classical pad. Ideally there should be two controllers: pad with 4 switches plus analog one (or even something fancy like it's now in the gp2x :D ).

My dream configuration would look like this:
dreamhandheld1lw.png

I think it's self explanatory. The main plus of it's its symmetry so it could be flipped or rotated to fit any game or user's needs. But it's only dreaming...

Back