How About An *all-metal* Joystick For The Gp2x?

gamefan999

The plastic ones that seem to be the only ones available inevitably break, particulary at the stem, where it is nothing more than a thin, fragile plastic tube, pressing against the metal (brass?) joystick base.

How about an all-metal joystick to go over that metal joystick base coming out of the GP2X's main board? Doesn't this make perfect sense? Since the joystick base is metal alreday, an all-metal joystick can't do any more harm by its being too strong.

As long as the range of motion of the new joystick doesn't exceed that of the base joystick, the only thing that will be lost is the gradually-weakening tube base that we all (?) currently deal with.

I am tired of losing game responsiveness because of the stretching and cracking joystick base. Won't someone make an all-metal cast of the original GP2X joystick? It would certainly be the last replacement joystick yu would ever have to buy. (Maybe that is the reason why noone has made one yet...)

The idea is good but it will be a lot more expensive to produce I presume.
The only problem i could see is that the plastic grips the metal stick firmly.
A metal cap with plastic grip inside the tube would be the best :)

I agree with Virusx.

I made a few tumbsticks out of pencil parts , old plastic drink token, a few drops PVC Glue
And 1 with a Earplug (Foom). They work much beter then the original Cap :D .

Here some pics:

gp2x_stick__0001.JPG
gp2x_stick__0002.JPG

gp2x_stick__0003.JPG
gp2x_stick__0004.JPG

gp2x_stick__0005.JPG
gp2x_stick__0006.JPG

first of all, that metal joystick looks really nice, good job!

secondly, i'm thinking about getting the gp2x to tinker with and stuff.

but I really want to play some old games like megaman x and sonic and ninja gaiden and stuff like that...

how is the joystick for those games? because it would seem to me that it would be hard to dash and things like that... that's mainly one of my most biggest concerns about making the purchase.

prairiefire said:
something like this? :)

Hey, thanks for that info. I'll have to PM that guy and beg him to make me one! I'd pay him, seriously. I actually like both the metal and rubber ones, I'd like to try them both out! Too bad he says the aluminium one is a little loose, it looks just like what I had in mind!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back