Gp2X Issues, And A Possible Modification?

rollingharoo

Still Fresh
I recently bought an AC adapter for my GP2X F100, but when I unplugged it after trying it out, the GP2X will not take AA batteries anymore: Any set I put in will turn on the green light although dimmer than usual, but the device itself will not run at all. Running my GP2X with the adapter plugged in however fixes the issue, although I now lack portability in my retro-gaming.

In addition, the SD card I had inserted when I plugged in the AC adapter for the first time is no longer recognized by my GP2X, although any other memory cards will work just fine. At the same time, that SD card can still be recognized by my laptop.

Any idea what exactly happened here guys? Did I burn out a few circuits in my GP2X? Anything I can do as far as taking the thing apart? Also, I have a spare GP2X, although the joystick needs a little extra force when going left. Is there a way I can modify the GP2X to actually play while charging? When I plug in the adapter while batteries are inside, it automatically resets the whole device, eliminating any unsaved progress in a game you'd be playing, and vice versa.

Sound like the voltage converter. Info here

I also think I remember someone recommending taking the batteries out when using an external power supply.

Parkydr said:
Sound like the voltage converter. Info here

I also think I remember someone recommending taking the batteries out when using an external power supply.

Damn, I never knew that. I always thought you could be able to charge your AA batteries via wall charger. So my GP2X will no longer power off of AA batteries anymore? Just the external power supply at this point?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used an external supply with batteries in without damaging my GP2X, but it's not recommended. Note: you can't charge the batteries while they're in the GP2X.

I assume you were using a 3V 1A regulated supply, centre -ve outside +ve.

What AA batteries are you using?

Ordinary AAs will only last about 40 minutes, I'd use at least 2000 mAh rechargeables.

I use a pair of rechargeable Energizers at 2500mAh Yeah, I popped those in my other GP2X with the power supply on, but like yours, it still functions properly. It's just my other GP2X is now no longer portable. :( Is there a way to modify the GP2X so that it can stay on if you happen to plug in the power supply while it's running on batteries?

Back