Gp2x Headphone Jack Whatever

racoon

I just took the gp2x with me on holidays (no extreme conditions, didnt let it bump against anything hard or let circuits melt) but now the headphone jack appearantly went crap. I got Sony and Sennheiser headphones but every of them now only gets recognised by the unit if its correctly plugged in (of course) and constantly pressed down by my finger into the unit and/or hold the beginning of the cable into a specific position (fiddle around with it till it works) , even then I sometimes only get sound from one of the speakers.
The only correct sound comes from the inbuilt speakers, even my PC-Speakers wont properly play the GP2X sound (they worked before nicely).
What a crap!

Do you think I need to ask for replacement of my unit?

racoon posted on Feb 12 2006 at 08:35 PM said:
Do you think I need to ask for replacement of my unit?

Yes, I think you're entitled to ask for a replacement. Email them and ask, I only have experience with gp2x.co.uk, and they're very understanding when it comes to returns :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, assuming I return the unit, what do they do with it anyways? Do they fix it or do they simplysend a replacement and extract the left metal from the broken one? ;D

You could try opening it and seeing if anything's come unsoldered. If you're not brave enough to risk it, then send it back.

I don't think that has anything to do with being brave; an opened unit means warranty is void. I doubt this problem is very hard to fix, though.

Its not that I want to send it back, I really prefer any other way... I am also not sure about that warranty-stuff. Would GPH rather like to send a new unit than to let the user try to fix (maybe easy fixable) problems himself?

It's not the responsibility of GPH to send you a new unit if yours is defective, it's the responsibility of the retailer you bought it from. If you send it back because it's defective, it's obligatory for them to send you a working one. So long as it develops a defect within 6 years of purchase with normal use (though what would be considered normal use of a GP2X is beyond me).

yeah i heard six years is the law here in the UK, for anything that is a fault (not general wear and tear)

In the UK, if an item develops a defect under normal use during six years after the receipt of the item, you may return it for a repair or replacement. If you happen to have a, say, 1 year manufacturer's warranty with it, the rights that gives you just stick on top of your basic statutory rights on that particular item for one year.

It's a problem with the headphone jack not being soldered onto the main circuit board correctly. You can easily open up your gp2x, apply some solder, and fix the problem.

You could send the unit back, but there's no guarantee that you won't get another unit with a similar problem.

As far as voiding the warranty is concerned, there's no way that someone can tell whether or not you have opened your gp2x or not (unless you completely botch the soldering job and someone decides to take a peek inside).

nickspoon posted on Feb 12 2006 at 06:19 PM said:
In the UK, if an item develops a defect under normal use during six years after the receipt of the item, you may return it for a repair or replacement. If you happen to have a, say, 1 year manufacturer's warranty with it, the rights that gives you just stick on top of your basic statutory rights on that particular item for one year.

I'm not from the UK, so this is just speculation, but... I believe I once read that the 6 year warranty doesn't apply to items that were imported, and that it is, I believe, only 30 days from date of purchase. Or something to that effect. Once again, just speculation so I could just be talking out of my arse.

Reaper

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, how easy would that soldering be?
I know about the headphone-detection soldering and many did it with success, but how to solder the headphone jack as a whole onto the board again?
Apply solder on all of those 4 circuits???

It's pretty usless when travelling if the headphones don't work... I noticed its simply a bit loose... maybe it would work with superglue if you work out the right position of the jack..... I definately wanna get to fic this as soon as possible!!!

Back