Gp2x-gpe Version 1.0 Released

nemonoid

Still Fresh
The final release (at least by me) of the gp2x-gpe, a port of the GPE palmtop environment to the GP2X is out! This release includes pretty much everything except the kitchen sink. AbiWord, Evince, Gaim, Dillo, Gnumeric, XChat, The GIMP, GpsDrive, GCC are included along with all the standard GPE applications.

Almost everything is working pretty smoothly and there has been some speed increases, most notably the new Xorg server patched by Orkie and compiled under OpenEmbedded.

You can find the downloads and more information at: http://darxr.net

Wow, works great for me. How do I start up GIMP though? I don't see it anywhere.

Edit: Wait, I found it, it's the full name, not the acronym.

I wonder anyway: How do many of the applications work? the GP2X doesn't have a keyboard after all... ABIword? XChat?
What entry method is used?

@bpkri:
I'm assuming you have to hook up a keyboard and mouse (with the break out board's USB), to use those.

Blah posted on Aug 14 2006 at 09:01 AM said:
I'm assuming you have to hook up a keyboard and mouse (with the break out board's USB), to use those.
There's a virtual keyboard, but to get the most out of it, a keyboard and mouse would help!

--
nem

Last edited by a moderator:
Vimacs posted on Aug 14 2006 at 09:21 AM said:
Does it support "highres" tv-out?
No, it is still 320x240 (the image basically has GP2X11 0.3 embedded into it, with more optimizations).

Ravnos posted on Aug 14 2006 at 08:41 PM said:
I would just like to know how to access the contents of my SD card with this. Also, it seems to lock up my GP2X on exit. Not cool.
I don't think you can with the image as it is. If you want to, you'll need to telnet into the GP2X, mount the GPE image then do something like 'ln -s /mnt/sd /mnt/sd/gp2x-gpe/root/sd' and unmount the image.

If anyone knows of any screenshots or videos of this running id really love to see before the tome commit of installing.

Mat
www.salted.net

I cannot get usb to work with my gp2x and therefore I cannot use the internet features of this software :(.
This is one case where a card reader will not come handy. Are there anyone who knows if the usb problem of the gp2x is a firmware issue? I do not belief it is a cable issue, because I tried 3 different usb cables and with both 3 cables windows did no recognize my gp2x :(. For those who are ready to flame me (as usual), dont please, because this time I think I have a valid rant, on behalf of the whole gp2x community.

Orkie posted on Aug 29 2006 at 01:33 PM said:
Have you got the USB networking driver installed?

U mean the linux.inf tile driver (When I am using windows) that you can download from the download repository of the gp2x? If thats the file yes, but stilll to no avail. :(
I am trying to connect gp2x under linux (using knoppix live cd) and still does not work :(/ My card reader with the sd card works like a breeze, both under linux and under windows.

Also on my gp2x I am going to Settings->USB->SD CARD and the screen change to USB CONNECTED ==== X DISCONNECT, but both windows and linux fail to see my gp2x :(.
Obviously the SD Card is inside the gp2x when I do this procedure :).

OK, then have you enabled USB networking in the settings menu on the GP2X itself? You shouldn't need to go through the standard USB connection procedure for networking.

Back