Gpe Palmtop Enviroment For Gp2x (alpha)

techFreak

Website
Visit site
gp2x-abiword.png
dillo.png
The GPE Palmtop Environment provides a user interface environment for palmtop/handheld computers running the GNU/Linux or any other UNIX-like operating system.

GPE is not a single piece of software, but an entire environment of components which make it possible to use your GNU/Linux handheld for standard tasks such as Personal Information Management (PIM), network access and multimedia and various other purposes. Apart from its main focus to provide a GUI environment for palmtop/handheld computers it is useful on all sorts of mobile devices with only limited resources.

According to the joey as stated in his web blog:

"There are lots of things still to be worked on and many things are completely broken and don’t work at all.

However, AbiWord, Evince (PDF Reader), GAIM (Instant Messaging) and the Dillo web browser are all functional."
[cut]
sysinfo.png

Read about it more here:

http://blog.nemonoid.org/articles/2006/06/...e-alpha-release

And download the Alpha from these links.

http://www.filehosting.cc/download.php?id=5AE693E1[/cut]

I tried USB Keyboard and Mouse. It didn't work. I don't know this is an issue about GPE or X11. It would be neat to have USB devices working in it.

mmm if only the gp2x had bluetooth or IR for input, mmmm a serial interface mmm ir reciever mmm palm IR keybaord

mmm if only the gp2x had bluetooth or IR for input, mmmm a serial interface mmm ir reciever mmm palm IR keybaord
You haven't got the latest version there. The later one is supposed to run a bit faster (I've not tried it yet, downloading now).
http://rapidshare.de/files/23172354/gp2x-g...15.tar.bz2.html

The USB problems are the fault of my server, not GPE. Hopefully I can sort them out soon.

EDIT: The new version does run a lot better, but doesn't come with the extra programs like Gaim and AbiWord.

Last edited by a moderator:
It still doesnt work. I have two folders on my root. x11 and gp2x-gpe. When I run the xserver.gpu I get a silver background with an x for a mouse. When I run the gp2x-gpe.gpu I get a blank black screen. What am I doing wrong?

It still doesnt work. I have two folders on my root. x11 and gp2x-gpe. When I run the xserver.gpu I get a silver background with an x for a mouse. When I run the gp2x-gpe.gpu I get a blank black screen. What am I doing wrong?
You are using the version of GPE that was posted at the top of this thread. Try the one I posted a link to about half way down. Be warned that it will sit on just the X screen for quite a while before GPE starts though.

gpm shouldn't be there at all any more. I got rid of it in the X server because it slowed everything down.

With or without gpm I can now move mouse pointer with joypad. I don't know what I did wrong but after wiping out x11 and gpe and reinstalling the latest version, I can use both of them ^^ yay!

You haven't got the latest version there. The later one is supposed to run a bit faster (I've not tried it yet, downloading now).

The USB problems are the fault of my server, not GPE. Hopefully I can sort them out soon.

EDIT: The new version does run a lot better, but doesn't come with the extra programs like Gaim and AbiWord.

So with that version I wont be able to use gaim? The main reason I want it is for gaim. Is their any way to make it work with the original link at the begining of this topic?

So with that version I wont be able to use gaim? The main reason I want it is for gaim. Is their any way to make it work with the original link at the begining of this topic?
You can try editing the gpu to run Xserver.gpu instead of gp2x11.gpu. That worked for me when I was testing it with a pre-release version of GP2X11 0.2.

can you upload it to the archive instead of rapidshit? i cant get anything from there.

thanks orkie.
I've not uploaded it anywhere - that was nemonoid, who made it. I think the first version has made it into the archives though. Have a look at the 'recently uploaded' section on the front page. If that is the larger 30MB one on there, you'll need to alter the script slightly to work with the latest X server, as detailed above.

Back