Gp2X Emulation

The first thing I thought when I heard about this possibly being put into creation was using it to run Neko Project II (NP22X). Not sure how well it would run it since it would be emulation running emulation, but since no one knows where a source code is for the GP2X version I figured that would be another possibility for a GP2X emu. (even if it is unpractical)

MkidTrigun said:
Back on topic, I could see myself using this for two programs: Cave Story and the GP2X NES emulator. While we already have GpFCE running on the Wiz, I feel that the original was a bit more polished, and it wouldn't be that much of a performance hit, either.

gpfce wiz version is almost the same, except that it doesnt cant use the hw scaling that the gp2x had.

Last edited by a moderator:
This would be awesome just for Cave Story. That alone is worth the effort.

i'd really like this to come true, not because of the emulation of gp32 itself but getting a clue about device emulation in general.

Some GP2X Games are reported to work on the Wiz. I read it in the German GP2X/Wiz Forums. Its some commercial games/demos from a Dutch Company. It would be interesting to find out why these are working and some others are not. I guess it is related to static / dynamically linking.

The german poster in the thread stated that the game starts, but you cannot do any inputs. I think this could be "fixed" with a preload which redefines/remaps GP2X_BUTTON_X, Y, etc (assumed SDL is used).

Anes Lihovac said:
Some GP2X Games are reported to work on the Wiz. I read it in the German GP2X/Wiz Forums. Its some commercial games/demos from a Dutch Company. It would be interesting to find out why these are working and some others are not. I guess it is related to static / dynamically linking.

The german poster in the thread stated that the game starts, but you cannot do any inputs. I think this could be "fixed" with a preload which redefines/remaps GP2X_BUTTON_X, Y, etc (assumed SDL is used).

It is true, if a program was linked dynamically and used SDL for video *and* joystick input, it has a chance of working without modification on the Wiz. The catch is if it requested a video mode other than 320x240x16bpp SWSURFACE (like 32bpp or double-buffering) it might not work without being recompiled. If it used SDL_gfx for line drawing or something, you will have to put a copy of that library in the games' folder because GPH for some reason didn't include this basic library in the Wiz folder. If the game read button inputs directly instead of using SDL for it, it will never work correctly without some kernel trickery. If it did use SDL for button inputs, it will work without modification on the Wiz, I know this for a fact.

The trouble is that very very few games were compiled dynamically for the GP2X. They were compiled statically so they could include the hardware-accelerated third-party SDL from Paeryn.

Senor Quack said:
The trouble is that very very few games were compiled dynamically for the GP2X. They were compiled statically so they could include the hardware-accelerated third-party SDL from Paeryn.
I didn't know that the GP2X had any hardware acceleration at all. I never had one anyway. What kind is it?

Reo said:
Senor Quack said:
I didn't know that the GP2X had any hardware acceleration at all. I never had one anyway. What kind is it?

It used a Magic Eyes MMSP2 system-on-chip and it had 2D acceleration. A guy named Paeryn added support for it into SDL.

I would definately like such a thing, if only for Cave Story. Amazing game.

Pickle, wasn't it you introduce some new kind of scaling in Lemonboy? I might be confused, I just remember thinking at the time it would be excellent if it could be integrated into some of the other emulators.

Back