Gp2x Emulation

oilswell

Still Fresh
so seriously, how do the umulators run? which are PERFECT, which are playable and which need work? what are the prospects for the future of platforms that are not being emulated properly yet? does the higher powered version make much difference?

also, when playing avi files through the tv out, can you ajust the aspect of the screen to fit your tv? my avi compatible dvd player cuts the subs off a lot of my stuff but xbmc never did because i could ajust the aspect of the screen.

oilswell posted on Oct 24 2006 at 04:14 PM said:
so seriously, how do the umulators run? which are PERFECT, which are playable and which need work? what are the prospects for the future of platforms that are not being emulated properly yet? does the higher powered version make much difference?

also, when playing avi files through the tv out, can you ajust the aspect of the screen to fit your tv? my avi compatible dvd player cuts the subs off a lot of my stuff but xbmc never did because i could ajust the aspect of the screen.

There's a lot of emulator info on the gp2x wiki page. Just google gp2x wiki.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the emulation is great. Everything upto and including the 16bit generation is great, as mentioned.

I've been playing the original Dracula X w/ full sound!!! How great is that? :D

Do any of the big RPG's use a chip inside? Chrono Trigger, earthbound, bahamut Lagoon and Secret of Mana are the big ones. If the SNES emulation is imperfect, would it be ok for RPG's? I guess they're less demanding to the hardware usually?

oilswell posted on Oct 24 2006 at 02:53 PM said:
Do any of the big RPG's use a chip inside? Chrono Trigger, earthbound, bahamut Lagoon and Secret of Mana are the big ones. If the SNES emulation is imperfect, would it be ok for RPG's? I guess they're less demanding to the hardware usually?
chrono, no. Super mario RPG, yes

oilswell posted on Oct 24 2006 at 06:53 PM said:

Only Mario RPG and Star Ocean have special chips, and Tales of Phantasia may have some issues due to ROM size.

Every other RPG will run brilliantly. Bahamut Lagoon and Front Mission have some transparency issues though, so will either be slow (with nkSNES) or you will have to use transhacks to get around the problem. This may be fixed in the future with SquidgeSNES (via notaz or Squidge himself) though.

So Star Ocean and Mario RPG wont work at all?

With the transparence issues will that cause trouble with text boxes?

So Chrono Trigger would work? That and Bahamut Lagoon are the big ones

Chrono trigger does work but at some point you do need transparences to work i myself have two SNES emulators on my GP2X i use snesgp2x which is slow but can handle tranparences and squidgesnes which is much faster but can't handle tranparences you just have to switch when you need them.

Star Ocean might work, I remember originally you needed a separate graphics pack (the chip handled some sort of graphics decompression), I'm just not sure if the emulator is still set up to look for it or not. It's worth a try though.

piemaster posted on Oct 24 2006 at 04:51 PM said:
Chrono trigger does work but at some point you do need transparences to work i myself have two SNES emulators on my GP2X i use snesgp2x which is slow but can handle tranparences and squidgesnes which is much faster but can't handle tranparences you just have to switch when you need them.

OR PRESS BOTH VOLUME BUTTONS AND DISABLE LAYERS.

We have lots of people that don't search it seems...

So basically theres hope for me playing Chrono on a handheld? Sounds like it should work with the layers thing, or swapping emulators (are save states transferable?).

What about Bahamut Lagoon? Thats a later game isnt it?

Shikaku posted on Oct 24 2006 at 10:07 PM said:

Which one does that work with cos i didn't see it in the read me file

piemaster posted on Oct 24 2006 at 05:17 PM said:
Shikaku posted on Oct 24 2006 at 10:07 PM said:

Which one does that work with cos i didn't see it in the read me file

Undocumented feature since .32

oilswell posted on Oct 24 2006 at 05:16 PM said:
(are save states transferable?). What about Bahamut Lagoon?

Also yes to both

Bahamut Lagoon needs a little overclocking to be fast enough, but it works. It has transparency issues in parts, so either disable layers in SquidgeSNES/use transhack, or run it on nkSNES.

Chrono Trigger is fullspeed with sound, just a couple of scenes have transparencies.

btw if you like Bahamut, check out the FEDA and Fire Emblem translations.

Back