GP2X Gp2x Development

StarBuck

Still Fresh
Hi,

I'm a game designer for a major software company, and I decided that, in order to get some of my game ideas across, a home-brew hand-held like like the GP2X would be great to use.

I'm an accomplished coder (prior to moving to design, I was a coder), and as such, I'm sure I'll be able to actually pick up development for the machine in a very short space of time. The problem is... where to begin??

I've downloaded Dev-C++ from Bloodshed, but it seems set up for Win32 rather than GP2X, and I can't find any information on how to change it, and I'm having serious difficulty finding a good resource that will talk me through the dev process for the console as a whole.

Also, once I do get started, it'd be good to have a 3D API to use - I believe the Quake Engine is available, no? If so, where can I download it (and suitable documentation) from? Unfortunately, this isn't really for fun (even though it will be), so I can't spend ages reverse engineering code to get these demos off the ground - I'd really like to hit the ground running.

Can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks in advance! :)

Great to see some fresh blood.
Check the developer page on wiki.gp2x.org it haves simple step by step instructions to set up a toolchain/compiler.
I dont think theres any open 3d engine that "there" yet, as in performant enugh to be of bigger use.
You can grab the quake sourcecode at archive.gp2x.de

Thanks for the help so far - some progress...

Okie-dokie, so I've set up the dev environment as it says in the Wiki (although I couldn't find the arm-gprof file), but when I attempt to compile a demo program, I get the following message:

C:\Col's Work\GP2X\Daft Test\Makefile.win [Build Error] [main.o] Error 1

and the gpe file isn't generated. Where am I going wrong?

Thanks again! :)

Thanks for the help so far - some progress...

Okie-dokie, so I've set up the dev environment as it says in the Wiki (although I couldn't find the arm-gprof file), but when I attempt to compile a demo program, I get the following message:

C:\Col's Work\GP2X\Daft Test\Makefile.win [Build Error] [main.o] Error 1

and the gpe file isn't generated. Where am I going wrong?

Thanks again! :)

Did you get teh GP2XSDK? It has its own version of Dev-C++ just for the gp2x...no need to confiugre anything. I dont know why people here dont have a link to it in a sticky or something. :blink:

Here is the link:
http://dev.gp2x.com/sdk/gp2xsdk_windows.zip

Also, see if you can configure the allegro game programming lib for it...if you can, show me how its done. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you get teh GP2XSDK? It has its own version of Dev-C++ just for the gp2x...no need to confiugre anything. I dont know why people here dont have a link to it in a sticky or something. :blink:

Here is the link:

Also, see if you can configure the allegro game programming lib for it...if you can, show me how its done. :)

yes this should be stickied! After playing for hours trying to get it to work, I read this message...downloaded the file and in 5 minutes had the demo compiled! I'm not sure why this isn't referenced in the wiki.

Here is the link:

yes this should be stickied! After playing for hours trying to get it to work, I read this message...downloaded the file and in 5 minutes had the demo compiled! I'm not sure why this isn't referenced in the wiki.

Its been there for several days now:

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Setting_up_a_dev...nment_(Windows)

Quoting :

If you use Windows 2K or Windows XP and just want a quick set-up, you can use this section to get a minimum developer system:

Two options are available:

1. The Gamepark Holdings Software Developer's Kit available from Gamepark at http://dev.gp2x.com/sdk/gp2xsdk_windows.zip

This kit includes the Bloodshed devC++ integrated development environment, GCC versions for both gp2x native and MS-Windows native executables, and copies of the Linux version 2.4.25 libraries. It will compile gp2x native code for executables using shared libraries in addition to the static library form.

If you use Windows 2K or Windows XP and just want a quick set-up, you can use this section to get a minimum developer system:

Two options are available:

1. The Gamepark Holdings Software Developer's Kit

Wimps! A shell console and text editor are all you need ;) (well, the ARM compiler and libs as well, of course)

Hi,

I'm a game designer for a major software company, and I decided that, in order to get some of my game ideas across, a home-brew hand-held like like the GP2X would be great to use.

I'm an accomplished coder (prior to moving to design, I was a coder), and as such, I'm sure I'll be able to actually pick up development for the machine in a very short space of time. The problem is... where to begin??

I've downloaded Dev-C++ from Bloodshed, but it seems set up for Win32 rather than GP2X, and I can't find any information on how to change it, and I'm having serious difficulty finding a good resource that will talk me through the dev process for the console as a whole.

Also, once I do get started, it'd be good to have a 3D API to use - I believe the Quake Engine is available, no? If so, where can I download it (and suitable documentation) from? Unfortunately, this isn't really for fun (even though it will be), so I can't spend ages reverse engineering code to get these demos off the ground - I'd really like to hit the ground running.

Can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks in advance! :)

You should give the Visual studio 2005 route a try and grab the sdk thats in the gp32x.de archives. This is what I use and I feel for a previous games coder is the easiest to pick up.

For a quick setup the GP2XSDK from GPH for windows which comes with gcc 3.4.6 is good enough, can compile code for windows and for the gp2x and can do dynamic linking.
But you should also try the devkitGP2x.rar from the archive. That one does use the software floating point library (-msoft-float) and thus code that uses floats runs a lot faster (20 times faster on my test app doing matrix * vector multiplications). It also comes with gcc 4.0.3 which should be better than 3.4.6 but it does only support static linking.

Back