:gp2x Cradle

Hyperpc said:
Is the :gp2x cradle any good?
and is there anything extraq I need to buy with it?
If you have USB devices that you want to use with the GP2X then yeah its great.
It allows you to have 2 player games as you can plug into the tv with an extra joypad.(emulator/game needs to allow it)

If you dont have any usb stuff that you want to use it pretty pointless.
Extras needed are probably a plug for your GP2X and maybe an extra one for your cradle depending on the usb devices you want to use. eg: usb harddisk requires extra power fo the cradle

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have USB devices that you want to use with the GP2X then yeah its great.
It allows you to have 2 player games as you can plug into the tv with an extra joypad.(emulator/game needs to allow it)

If you dont have any usb stuff that you want to use it pretty pointless.
Extras needed are probably a plug for your GP2X and maybe an extra one for your cradle depending on the usb devices you want to use. eg: usb harddisk requires extra power fo the cradle
[/quote]

What joypads does it support?
and what power supply do I need for the cradle?

I dont what it actually supports. I know that the joypads I use worked with no problems what so ever. Mine are Genius pads.

I dont think extra power is needed for joypads. But if you do need it , it is advised that you get an official cradle adapter probably from where you get your cradle.
Im using a multi adapter with a voltage changer and it seems to work alright

see this thread http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=37659&hl=

foleyjo said:
I dont what it actually supports. I know that the joypads I use worked with no problems what so ever. Mine are Genius pads.

I dont think extra power is needed for joypads. But if you do need it , it is advised that you get an official cradle adapter probably from where you get your cradle.
Im using a multi adapter with a voltage changer and it seems to work alright

see this thread http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=37659&hl=

umm so wat games and emus have 2 player support?

predatorramboxxx said:
umm so wat games and emus have 2 player support?
To be honest I dont play the homebrew games. Im more interested in emulation.

The emulators I know for definate that have 2 player support
Picodrive
Mame
and it looks like Vice will have it very soon.

Others might have them. The snes ones dont

Last NES emu supports two gamepads.
PicoDrive supports only one USB gamepad(other players should play on gp2x itself)

But it should work just great to work with DosBox and other apps since Keyboard Support.

I think there just could be written gamepad-mapper untility that maps gamepad buttons over gp2x standart controller. That is to be solution.

P.s: Now I'm writting a game for 1-4 players multiplayer supported by Cradle.

quasist said:
Last NES emu supports two gamepads.
PicoDrive supports only one USB gamepad(other players should play on gp2x itself)

But it should work just great to work with DosBox and other apps since Keyboard Support.

I think there just could be written gamepad-mapper untility that maps gamepad buttons over gp2x standart controller. That is to be solution.

P.s: Now I'm writting a game for 1-4 players multiplayer supported by Cradle.
so only 2 emus are supported thats kinda of lame... wat about quake duke doom rott...but mame is supported awesome.

predatorramboxxx said:
so only 2 emus are supported thats kinda of lame... wat about quake duke doom rott...but mame is supported awesome.
Emus that support joysticks:
Picodrive
GPFCE (NES)
MAME
GP2Xpectrum
Vice (c64) should too.

Quake supports mouse and keyboard
ScummVM supports mouse
Beat2x support joystick
x11 supports mouse & keyboard
Qtopia supports mouse & keyboard

There's keyboard and joystick (and probably mouse) code in duke that's left over from the original linux sdl port, but to be honest I've never tried seeing if it all still works.

quasist said:

Are you sure?? Im ure the newest version has the option for 2 pads

foleyjo said:
quasist said:

Are you sure?? Im ure the newest version has the option for 2 pads

I can confirm Picodrive and FCEultra both have 2-player USB support :)

I suspect that the cradle could be nice if you wanted to make a mame cabinet with out the PC. Imagine having a huge video cabinet to play retro games with your mates. When you open it up all that's inside is a screen and your cradled GP2X.

Does Mame have mouse support for analoge games? That would be a nice feature.

tdp said:
I suspect that the cradle could be nice if you wanted to make a mame cabinet with out the PC. Imagine having a huge video cabinet to play retro games with your mates. When you open it up all that's inside is a screen and your cradled GP2X.

Does Mame have mouse support for analoge games? That would be a nice feature.
Well then I suggest not opening it while your friends are watching.

So can I confirm that I WON'T need a seperate Power Supply for the cradle if:

1) I am running no more than 2 usb control pads

2) I am using a MK2 GP2X (which I already have a Power Supply for)

cyclone5uk said:
So can I confirm that I WON'T need a seperate Power Supply for the cradle if:

1) I am running no more than 2 usb control pads

2) I am using a MK2 GP2X (which I already have a Power Supply for)
You should be alright, because as I understand it, only the MK1 requires the cradle to be powered. I can confirm, however, since I am using the cradle with a MK1, that the cradle most certainly needs it's own power source.

Knoxximus said:
You should be alright, because as I understand it, only the MK1 requires the cradle to be powered. I can confirm, however, since I am using the cradle with a MK1, that the cradle most certainly needs it's own power source.
The cradle doesn't need to be powered with a mk1, but I don't know how much (or if anything) will work unless the cradle is powered. All the mk1 needs is something stuck into the cradle power socket and it will boot fine.

Emulators with usb support (taken from wiki):

Alexkidd2x (2 joypads)
GPFCE (2)
Picodrive (4)
CPS2Emu (4)
MAME (4)

Personally, I won't know for definate myself till I get the cradle at somepoint this week (although I'm certainly picking up a USB bluetooth and ir port to play Quake2x!!)

I must say that the cradle has been something of a disappointment. Firstly, I had to dismantle it just to get the thing to plug in to my 2X. Then I found that only one of my controllers worked (so have had to order another of the same make and model) – the other 3 controllers I tried did nothing. Finally the picture quality is average at best, not as good as I was expecting.

Hi guys,

I noticed that GPH shows a composite video out cable in the official cradle pictures. This is obviously false advertising as only s video out is supported.

Also, this unit wouldnt be good for a Mame Cabinet as you cant emulate the best shmups and other more advanced fighters. Battle Garegga, Armed Police Batrider, etc. Not a good choice for a 3000$ arcade caibnet.

Back