Gp2x Chuckie Egg

Great game. A really good version. Thanks.

Any more projects in the pipeline?

crutchlow posted on Sep 27 2006 at 10:33 AM said:
I've written a version of chuckie egg using SDL for the gp2x, i didn't like the c64 or spectrum version in the emulator which was the only version i could find.
No, you're quite right. It has to be BBC-style :)

I'll have a go with this later - I love the game. Incidentally, thanks also for your flash versions of some great beeb games on your website (http://www.repton3.co.uk/chuckieegg.php).

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to play this on my BBC model B computer, and that was the best version ever made.
Just downloaded yours, will give it a play later.

Thanks.
;)

Feeblez posted on Sep 27 2006 at 06:50 PM said:

I thought about using the new colours (red score and white eggs), but decided to keep it like the original. But if you wanted to add those colours you could just edit the image files in the graphics directory.

Neil.

dontspam posted on Sep 27 2006 at 06:09 PM said:
Great game. A really good version. Thanks.

Any more projects in the pipeline?

I was going to do a repton 3 version. I seem to have done this for numerous other systems,, or start work on my chinese-english dictionary. :)

Neil.

Just had a quick play and have to say 10/10 that is a spot on beeb conversion.

How about a Killer Gorilla conversion next...?

Awesome =D

I will check this out later. Classic game, deserves a GP2X version.

I love the sound at the end of the round when it tots up your score! I'm going to have to try this as soon as I get back tonight!

Gruntfuggly posted on Sep 27 2006 at 02:14 PM said:
Awesome - now I'm going to have to unbrick my gp2x. How are the controls? Can you jump onto ladders and grab then while falling, etc.?

Yep, it's all there.

Well this is my favourite game of all time and until now I was making do with the BBC version which runs slow and without sound.. But now.. I can't tell you how happy you've made me mate.

Neil, do you have a paypal account? I would love to make a contribution when I get some free cash.

subcon959 posted on Sep 27 2006 at 03:30 PM said:
Well this is my favourite game of all time and until now I was making do with the BBC version which runs slow and without sound.. But now.. I can't tell you how happy you've made me mate.

Neil, do you have a paypal account? I would love to make a contribution when I get some free cash.

Couldn't agree more - Chuckie kept me entertained for hours as a kid...

Talking of the BBC Emu being slow & no sound etc ... anybody with the req'd skill and time fancy porting a version that would be worthy of the 2x?

I hear there's a new Beebem 1.5?? (it's a cut down BBC B only emu so quicker than full 3.3?? emu) that's been ported to Unix ... but I don't know how big a job it'd be to get it to work as expected on the GP2x with sound, keyboard, disk image loading etc etc etc...

I would love to know what the techie people in the know think it'd take?!?

It's one of the killer apps for me! :D

DARKGATE posted on Sep 27 2006 at 02:41 PM said:
:lol: Good, when a beautiful bbc micro emulator? :p B)

that's what i've been wondering for about 6 months... the B-Em BBC emu for the gp2x is good but it could just do with a little more speed / virtual keyboard.

so to all C/SDL porting gurus - please port the Linux SDL version of Beeb-Em !!! :rolleyes:

rooster posted on Sep 27 2006 at 05:11 PM said:
DARKGATE posted on Sep 27 2006 at 02:41 PM said:
:lol: Good at when a beautiful bbc micro emulator? :p B)

that's what i've been wondering for about 6 months... the B-Em BBC emu for the gp2x is good but it could just do with a little more speed / virtual keyboard.

so to all C/SDL porting gurus - please port the Linux SDL version of Beeb-Em !!! :rolleyes:

Not that I wish to keep the ball rolling but ... ;)

http://www.mikebuk.dsl.pipex.com/beebem/

is the place to get the Beeb-Em source.

Also there is now a psp BBC B emu that looks damn fine & I think it uses the SDL libs ... would this be useful as a base to port?

aortey posted on Sep 27 2006 at 06:44 PM said:
Also there is now a psp BBC B emu that looks damn fine & I think it uses the SDL libs ... would this be useful as a base to port?

There's a recent SDL-only port of Beeb-em too, I downloaded the source and tried to compile it, thinking that my years of programming ARM asm on the Archimedes and server-side web programming would be any kind of substitute for familiarity with C compilers. Sadly, I don't know my arse from my elbow when it comes to compiling C and when it throws up scarey compilation errors I tend to run away in terror.
I thought that it should go to the GP2X nicely, the author says it is only dependent on SDL now, previously it needed GNOME stuff or something as far as I know, it doesn't anymore - just SDL.

also it seems to support the 2X 320x240 res. as one of its standard screen modes so this emulator is gagging for it. its just gagging to be ported to the 2x.

btw sorry to the dude who made this chuckie egg game for turning this thread into 'bring BBC emus to the 2X' you've sparked a lot of enthusiasm for the old BBC here. I will check your game out tonight at work when i should be working. good choice chuckie egg. this was my fave game when i was 10, i could get to the big chicken with the little ones on level 23. tonight i aim to go beyond. I heard a rumour that even the original authors A&F didn't know themselves what was beyond level 50. Apparently it is some kind of gruesome payback for robbing the bird seed and eggs on levels 1-49 involving a giant mechanical spider.

If possible could you add some sort of volume control please? I love the sound effects but it's hard to steal a quick game when they are so loud!

subcon959 posted on Sep 27 2006 at 09:07 PM said:
If possible could you add some sort of volume control please? I love the sound effects but it's hard to steal a quick game when they are so loud!
There is volume control. Hold the volume key down longer :)

played it last night, very similar... but spotted minor differences (vs the BBC version)

1) the jump animation: on your version, when you jump, you jump in an arc.. then, as you land, you jerk a few pixel left or right depending on direction. not too keen on that.

2) when you jump on a ladder (with no direction, just jump) on your version the sprite is the left/right facing one, on the original it is the climbing ladder sprite.

other than that, very good recreation. Hen House Harry no longer flickers annoyingly like the BBC version :)

Back