3) RS232 Serial Connection Port
4) 3 x USB Port (Host Function)
5) EXT Port Connector
6) DC 12V In
7) Power LED

Here's the pictures:

bobrear.jpg

bobfront.jpg

This box will turn your GP2X to a home entertaintment system. You can simply connect any USB Device. All you need is correct drivers. You can download them from the archive. The break out box design is slightly different than the ones published on the web earlier.

Price is $50 + shipping.

FAQ
Q1) Do I need a PSU?
A1) Yes you need a 12V DC adaptor to operate USB devices such as HDD, CD-Rom, Flash Disk, Mouse, Keyboard, Lan Adapter. However you don't need a PSU while you use TV-Out, Audio Out and Serial Connection.

PSU is not inclueded in the package. We didn't include it to the package because it can be found any local store near you. Adding a PSU to your package would increase the shipping cost.

Q2) Will you send me Serial Connection Cable?
A2) If you want we can send it. But it is a very common cable. You can find it any computer shop. As I mentioned earlier we try to keep the package small so we don't prefer to send you this cable.

Q3) Is this a DIY product? Do I need to solder anything or connect sockets or ports etc?
A3) No. This is a complete product and comes with all ports connected. Also it has EXT connector to connect BOB to your device.

Q4) Does it have JTAG port?
A4) No it doesn't support JTAG port. It's optional. If you want JTAG we can add it to BoB.

Q5) Can I run low powered (USB Bus powered) USB devices without connecting PSU?
A5) Actually it is another option. We can make one of these 3 x USB ports to powered by GP2X. We can make it for you so you can connect low powered USB devices such as flash memories etc.

Please PM me for the orders. I have to figure out the demand and requirements for possible redesigning.

Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Thank you in advance for your interest.

This is exciting news. I may consider getting one. It depends on what $50 + shipping works out to be in AUD.

sand_man posted on Apr 4 2006 at 10:34 AM said:
This is exciting news. I may consider getting one. It depends on what $50 + shipping works out to be in AUD.
Hi sand_man, Where do you live and what shipping way do you prefer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Importantly, will this allow (with appropriate program, of course) the user to connect a USB game controller? A final solution...? For those of us who like to game on the TV when not on the go.

Nice... Copule of q's though.

What's the shipping to the UK ?

What material is the case made out of - I'll have to spray it black to match the GP2X ( or spray the GP2X white :) ) ?

And how long is the cable that connects to the Ext port ?

Cheers

It is possible. You need correct USB drivers for game controller. Also the games should support this controllers. I didn't connect any Joystick to GP2X. But I know there are joystick drivers for GP2X on the web. Though I haven't seen any games supporting mouse or joystick controllers. I heard that ScummVM will have mouse support soon.

saboteur posted on Apr 4 2006 at 11:13 AM said:
Nice... Copule of q's though.

What's the shipping to the UK ?

What material is the case made out of - I'll have to spray it black to match the GP2X ( or spray the GP2X white :) ) ?

And how long is the cable that connects to the Ext port ?

Cheers
Hi,

DHL, TNT and other speed courriers will cost around 15-20 pounds but EMS will cost cheaper but you have to wait a few more days. I'll make the shipping costs clear soon. Case is made of plastic. I'll take a look for black cover. If it is available i'll let you know. However you can easily paint it.

EXT port cable is It's 1 mt. long... It's long enough to play with GP2X while it's connected to TV, Music Set and even HDD.

That's a pretty neat little design. I'm looking forward to some sort of smaller more compact one in the near future, especially to use to hook to a TV and a USB controller for 2P play on the engine I am developing (wouldn't really want a brick hanging off the machine, but it's workable, since you at least wouldn't need power to operate a joystick..)

.. but if you wanted to use your GP2x like a little computer you could with that. Especially if you used a version of bash that displayed to the screen and not to a connected computer-- you could hook it to your TV, a keyboard and a mouse and have a little PC, heh. Even develop natively on the machine with an ARM9 compiler and linker were you so inclined.

Good work!

Smaller and more compact designs are available but in this case you wouldn't have enough space for all ports. However if you want more compact design, i can remove the parts you don't need (such as RS232, extra USB ports, DC 12V In.) It can be a very small box powered by GP2X itself with USB, TV and Audio Out ports. However you won't be able to operate GP2X + this small USB box with 2 x AA batteries. You need to keepyour GP2X PSU connected.

any chance of um, i dunno, different plastic casing designs for it? perhaps one with a ridge on the top where the gp2x can 'slot' into and be held upright, stuff like that?

Paradox posted on Apr 4 2006 at 03:09 PM said:
any chance of um, i dunno, different plastic casing designs for it? perhaps one with a ridge on the top where the gp2x can 'slot' into and be held upright, stuff like that?

Good idea... Like a docking unit. It depends on the quantity demanded. Maybe in the future something like docking unit can be developed. Currently this design is better because some people may connect the device to TV and play games. It wouldn't be comfortable to handle both docking unit and GP2X while playing games. :D

Awesome, but I guess I will wait a bit until some of the games/emus actually support external joypads before buying it.

Just one suggestion:

Could you add a 'brake-though' cable to power the GP2X itself without the need to use another PSU? I guess it needs to power down the 12V to 3.3V, but that should be possible right?

Julius posted on Apr 4 2006 at 03:54 PM said:
Awesome, but I guess I will wait a bit until some of the games/emus actually support external joypads before buying it.

Just one suggestion:

Could you add a 'brake-though' cable to power the GP2X itself without the need to use another PSU? I guess it needs to power down the 12V to 3.3V, but that should be possible right?

Yes that's another good idea. It's possible. We will work on it.

Just for your interest records.

I would also be interested in one, and thanks for all your hard work.

As started before, think I will wait until there are some apps that support it.

As for the enhancement ideas, I would be interested in a model that can act as a dock and also be able to power the gp2x.

As for yet another enhancement idea...(sorry you must be sisk of these having worked hard on what you have produced).

Would it be possible to add a VGA adaptor, something like what the break out box could do for the dreamcast..

Just that my GP2x is alwasy on my desk and the monitor us there and the Mrs is hogging the TV...

Or maybe a Mrs transporter ? :D

Back