Release GP2X apps compatible with Pandora?

PAH

Still Fresh
Since the GP2X is also an ARM core running Linux, are some GP2X apps binary compatible with Pandora? i.e. will they just run with no porting and no recompiling?

If so, is this true for a few, many, most, or nearly all?

Thanks,

Pete

PAH said:
Since the GP2X is also an ARM core running Linux, are some GP2X apps binary compatible with Pandora?
for all practical purposes, nothing will work with no recompiling, ever.

With GP32X down I can't find the citation, but I think Squidge said that potentially some GP2X applications could work without recompiling. Probably the majority won't, but the possibility is at least there.
On the other hand, the vast majority of GP2X apps should work fine with a simple recompile, taking only a few minutes even for non-coders, provided they get the SDK set up properly.

Dynamically linked SDL applications, Might work under some instances. Still its rather a moot point, almost all GP2X software is opensource.

I'm guessing this means my copy of payback won't work with the pandora then? Shame, but I guess I'll just have to hang on the 2x.

I think someone said that some of the GP2X's commercial games will be ported to and sold for the Pandora. I don't know if they'll make you purchase a new copy though.

I think someone said that some of the GP2X's commercial games will be ported to and sold for the Pandora. I don't know if they'll make you purchase a new copy though.
I think they were referring to Wind&Water. I believe the devs said they would make make an enhanced Pandora version.... I would presume it costs money.

lostsoulparry said:
I'm guessing this means my copy of payback won't work with the pandora then? Shame, but I guess I'll just have to hang on the 2x.

I was wondering about Payback also. I bought it not long after getting my GP2X. Enjoyed it quite abit. On a Pandora, man would that game kick serious tail.

GoblinX said:
lostsoulparry said:

I was wondering about Payback also. I bought it not long after getting my GP2X. Enjoyed it quite abit. On a Pandora, man would that game kick serious tail.
payback has been around for something like 6 or 7 years, releasing on a new platform every once in a while. the prospectives are high, higher than some other closed source games, at least, that they would port it.

Back