Got One Of Them 5-in-1 Usb Cables...

Consequence_9

have you realized that rock stars always seem to l
Really handy little thing for $3.98 (yes, including shipping <3 ebay). Although I don't really understand the inclusion of both a ds lite & ds phat/gba sp plug as most people would only use one or the other, no harm no foul I guess.

I on the other hand felt left out as a GameBoy Micro owner. I no longer have an original ds or gba sp and thus no use for the plug. So I did the only logical thing I could think of -- I got down to modding =]

This is a really simple one, buuuut I figured I'd post my results so as to encourage others. Since the GBM will only draw the power it needs, there's nothing to worry about in terms of resistors or anything fancy.

First I took my good 'ole exacto blade & slid it into the seam directly next to one of the outer wires. I was hoping it wasn't rubber, and I was right, it was just two pieces of plastic melted together at the seams. Came apart like butter. Inside I found your standard sub-standard chinese solder job, but hey, whatever gets the job done. All of the wires are connected to a small piece of pcb with nothing more than some solder pads on it. It was pretty easy to discern which wire was which, standard black-ground & red-hot applied. At this point I clipped off the top of my GBM charger (I never use it anyway & usb is much more convenient). Stripped the casing, twisted up the ground wire into one & stripped some of the hot wire to solder. Soldered to the corresponding pads on the pcb, tested... and walla! My micro was charging =D. Since the plastic casing was now in two I just put the pcb in one half, lined up the wires, squirted a big blob of hot glue in there & squeezed. Held it there for a while & wiped away the excess glue before it hardened. Looks perfect & holds together nicely.

Wish I had a camera phone handy, but I don't & my micro is fully charged anyway, so I'll have to post a pic up later. I definitely recommend anyone who owns multiple devices to pick one of these up. It even acts as a data cable for the ipod & mini-usb & it really reduced the clutter in my bag. Charge times for some things may be longer, but my comp is practically always on & I only really charge things at night anyway, so it's no biggie.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of electronics were in it?

If none, then you could use a $1 store USB cable to achieve the same ends.

(Unless of course your goal is to use the other plugs on the cable too . . .)

'nubie' said:
What kind of electronics were in it?

If none, then you could use a $1 store USB cable to achieve the same ends.

(Unless of course your goal is to use the other plugs on the cable too . . .)
yah, nothin in it, just a pad to split the wires on. Here's a pic for ya actually (srry bout quality, no lights on & my 'webcam' is just an old eyetoy)
2009-02-19-020320.jpg

So from left to right: Ghetto Ipod (my dad found it), Gameboy Micro, DS lite, PSP (soon to be replaced with Pandora), and the empty mini-usb is reserved for the G1 I'll hopefully be getting soon. And yes, that is a Fedora case badge, I am constantly trying to out-dork myself ;] I actually just ordered some of them transparent dvorak keyboard stickers, my next step into the void.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back