Got A Quad Core

Samba Pa Ti

Many Mooses Live In The Fields \o/
Website
dinkykitty.com
i was getting sick of my games not running smooth so decided to upgrade to a core2quad,
im pretty astounded at the speed of this thing.
i did a dvd rip test with it (comparing to my p4 3ghz that i upgraded from)

riptestrk4.gif

(some of the extra time comes from scanning the files before they were ripped and encoding the audio)

Looking very nice!

Have you tried overclocking the Quad Core yet? That's where its power really shows (and spanks the athlon 64's).

when i get a new cooler i might overclock it to 3ghz (it runs at about 30c on stock cooling) but its really noisy.

im not really sure what cooler to go with, maybe a zalman

When there's more cores there's more potential failing points, but if clock scalability is anything like the E6600 I tested it should go quite far. Using a Zalman CNPS9500-Cu-LED it was able to reach a staggering 3.5 GHz with only a minor vcore boost, and still ran very cool.

sam fisher said:
Am I correct in assuming the current Quad cores aren't actually 4 core devices but two Core2Duos on one die?
yeah they are sharing the l2 cache, but at the same time they have 8mb l2cache instead of 4mb
even though they are sharing it seems i can operate them all independantly (if i change the affinity when using a multithreaded app the other 3 cores keep going at 50-60% and the one i dumped can do somthing else, i guess its just a battle for the memory bandwidth/cache)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back