Google Video Hacking

Wolfsclaw

can't be longer than 2 months right?
Website
Visit site
Some of you probably already know of the new service of Google - Video Google! (For all german users, you can also use that service which actually should only be for americans, by using the method explained here: http://www.pcwelt.de/news/online/129691/index6.html )

Now, I got them .gvi files, and it seems these are just like .avi files, same codecs and all, but they still won't be played by winamp or windows media player. Now i found this:
http://blog.nella.org/archives/2006/01/google_video_ha.html

At the bottom of the page, the author explains:
Update: When you strip out the "goog" list from the front of a GVI file, you get a valid AVI that will play in Windows Media Player and WinAmp. The following script, called gvi2avi will convert a GVI to an AVI:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use File::Format::RIFF;

my ( $riff1 ) = File::Format::RIFF->read( \*STDIN );
$riff1->shift();
$riff1->write( \*STDOUT );

An unmodified GVI file (i.e. with the "goog" list intact) will play correctly in VLC.

Now, what do i have to do with these lines? I know i prolly have to make a .bat file, but what actually do i write in there for my file to convert (lets just say its named "convertme.gvi")? Can someone help a lame noob as me? :)

Play it with VLC, then.

Or go download Perl, save the script to gvi2avi.pl, then run

perl gvi2avi.pl < filename.gvi > newfile.avi

Try these..

google-video-bookmarklet
convert-google-video-flvs-into-avi-mpg-etc-in-linux

They both work as advised, but I can only manage to get 10 seconds of video per download??
What operating system u usin?
The second link is a very hard to find (took me about 5 hours or so) tutorial for Linux.
U shouldn't have any trouble if converting in Windows though.
I'm usin Firefox 1.0.7 on Ubuntu Linux. I don't know if that will make a difference or not.

***EDIT***
Use This! page for downloading the files. Works a lot better :D

Back