Good News!

Hell yeah! This is great news. Definitely gonna keep track of this one. :)

XxionxX said:
I loves open source
I don't see 'open source' in there anywhere. This is just an interface so that you could, for example, make a plugin that will mute your music player automatically when you have a skype call. They're not going to let you make your own skype clone for the pandora or anything really open.

Forget about Skype. Use Empathy, Pidgin, or Ekiga.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neko said:
XxionxX said:
I loves open source
I don't see 'open source' in there anywhere. This is just an interface so that you could, for example, make a plugin that will mute your music player automatically when you have a skype call. They're not going to let you make your own skype clone for the pandora or anything really open.

It's not open source, however:

Today, Skype is releasing an open software development kit (SDK) for developers called SkypeKit which will allow Skype calls, instant messaging, video chat and other features to be integrated into consumer electronics and computers.

9yuAc.jpg

Skype was the only ubnutu software i ever used that actuly worked for video and voice ,the rest simply don't however i have not tried Ekiga but i have no friends that would be interested in also using that to chat to me ,the big point is the need for msn and yahoo voicechat enabled software on linux in general ,it's the commonly used software across windows ,most people's contact list is full of old contacts from when msn messenger was the big thing ,some used yahoo ,skype is the new alternative to msn and yahoo but you still need to coax some into using skype however skype works like a dream so it's not too painfull for people to switch over and use.

there are versions of Amsn with video working (no voice)
there are two old versions of pidgin (i think) with working enabled voice and pidgin does multi IM so it would be best getting that working.

skype is on x86 linux and works perfectly but to get the arm port skype creators would need to do it them self's ,i can't see source released but also there is real big money in skype for arm as most mobile devices are arm and are also mobile phones so to offer skype would be bad for networks ,i can't see skype being avail becase of this.

paddy said:
skype is on x86 linux and works perfectly but to get the arm port skype creators would need to do it them self's ,i can't see source released but also there is real big money in skype for arm as most mobile devices are arm and are also mobile phones so to offer skype would be bad for networks ,i can't see skype being avail becase of this.

This release means that anybody who wishes to do so can create a skype-compatible messenger. Support could even be added into Pidgin or some other IM solution. It, of course, does not mean that the official Skype client will become available.

Weather or not anybody feels like writing such software for Pandora is an altogether different matter. It's too early days to tell.

I wonder whether this SDK really means someone can write a Skype compatible client, or if it's all just hooks into the official Skype client which you still need to have installed with all it's x86 dependencies.

WizardStan said:
I wonder whether this SDK really means someone can write a Skype compatible client, or if it's all just hooks into the official Skype client which you still need to have installed with all it's x86 dependencies.
Looking at the page on Skype website, the SDK really allows you to create a full fledged client on any platforms. Without any "connections" to the original client.
http://developer.skype.com/public/skypekit

WizardStan said:
Yeah I don't think this new SDK depends on a running Skype client, AFAIK they already released the API that lets programs interface with a Skype client, this looks like you could code your own Skype compatible client.

Wouldn't opening up skype source mean an immediate setback in the, AFAI have read relatively high, security of the program?

It's not opensource, it's a closed source library that take in charge the whole skype functions as far as I understood.

paddy said:
there is real big money in skype for arm as most mobile devices are arm and are also mobile phones so to offer skype would be bad for networks ,i can't see skype being avail becase of this.

I have software version PR1.2 for my Nokia N900, it has native Skype with video calling and runs the same base chipset as the Pandora and iPhone 3GS. It's only missing screen sharing IIRC.

Great news although I haven't used skype for quite some time, I've been using gtalk for video conferencing and even voice. It seems to be a lot better video and audio than skype. I don't think gtalk will work on the Pandora though so I'll switch back to skype for the time being.

Why the heck did it take them so long to do this?!? They could have done this years ago when they were at the top of their game.

Eniko said:
Am I the only one who read this in prof Farnsworth's voice? :huh:

EDIT: Damn, beaten to the punch by atomicthumbs.
"Good news everyone! I've invented a device that makes you read this aloud in your head, in my voice."

Back