Good games that are actually rubbish.

Racing game? No, no, F-Zero is a racing game. Sonic the Hedgehog for the MegaDrive is a classic jump'n run. It's no more of a racing game than Super Mario Bros is. As a racing game, none of the Sonic games (not even Sonic CD, which I like) are anywhere near as good as F-Zero or F-Zero X (the two F-Zero games I've actually played). F-Zero actually lets you see where you're going, gives you fluid control, doesn't make you take an eternity to get to top speed (unless you specifically choose the racer-vehicle thingy that works like that), and never makes you stop and wait for something. And it's much faster than any Sonic game is, too.
I meant for an Jump'n Run it played more like a "racing game" than a classical Jump'n Run. You can rush through the levels in insane speed if you want, MD Sonic is the racing game of the Jump'n Runs. ;)

On the Master System, it played comparable slower to the Megadrive Version, still faster than Mario of course. ^^

Genesis! :ph34r:
Yeah, great Band! :D

https://www.youtube.com/embed/zU9lv_WqK6k?feature=oembed

I meant for an Jump'n Run it played more like a "racing game" than a classical Jump'n Run. You can rush through the levels in insane speed if you want, MD Sonic is the racing game of the Jump'n Runs. ;)

On the Master System, it played comparable slower to the Megadrive Version, still faster than Mario of course. ^^

There's a reason Super Mario Bros is a favorite for TASing. It's because it has a lot of cool glitches to exploit. But it's also popular for normal speed running because it's fun to speed run.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/PIEXFrBRt6U?feature=oembed

The Sonic games' speed is not "insane" most of the time. When it is, it's in short bursts where all you're doing is holding right on the d-pad. Hardly comparable to how proper racing games are played. More importantly, though, speed does not a racing game make; pressure to finish the level as fast as possible does. There is no pressure in the Sonic games at all to be fast. Hell, there's less time pressure than in Super Mario Bros. What do you have, a flat 10 minutes, right? How are you going to take 10 minutes to complete a level? The only sort of real time pressure is to get points, and that's the exact same time pressure Super Mario Bros has, plus Super Mario Bros actually has a timer that can run out if you dick around (especially in 8-1).

What's funny is that all this applies to the Master System version and Sonic CD as well, and it is not a reason to dislike Sonic, but I just find it silly to call it more of a racing game than Super Mario Bros unless you didn't know you can run with the B button in SMB.

^ There is some irony, here, for what it's worth. The PAL version of the first Sonic The Hedgehog game was not at all optimised, whilst the PAL version of Super Mario Bros. was. The faster of the two is, of course, Super Mario Bros.. :lol: (And even without said optimisation, Super Mario Bros. is still a faster-paced game due to its better design.)

^ There is some irony, here, for what it's worth. The PAL version of the first Sonic The Hedgehog game was not at all optimised, whilst the PAL version of Super Mario Bros. was. The faster of the two is, of course, Super Mario Bros.. :lol:

Ah, yes, I forgot about that. To be honest, though, I don't see a gameplay speed difference, just a difference in the music speed (which sounds horrible to me in both cases).

(And even without said optimisation, Super Mario Bros. is still a faster-paced game due to its better design.)

I'm in absolute agreement here.

^ For what it's worth, on real hardware, the speed difference (for Sonic The Hedgehog) is very noticeable, as it's *incredibly* sluggish. It was a bit trippy to compare it against the Mega-Play arcade version back in the day, too, since that ran at 60Hz (and the timer counted down from ten minutes, instead of up). :lol: But I digress.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Ninja is NOT rubbish at all.. its considered in my top 5.

However Alex Kidd in Miracle world, the most overrated master system game.. I can't even put the music on and have my dad tell me to "turn that shit off" because he heard it so many times when I was a kid because my mother refused to buy any sega games for us. lol

^ For what it's worth, on real hardware, the speed difference (for Sonic The Hedgehog) is very noticeable, as it's *incredibly* sluggish. It was a bit trippy to compare it against the Mega-Play arcade version back in the day, too, since that ran at 60Hz (and the timer counted down from ten minutes, instead of up). :lol: But I digress.
Yupp, I still have my PAL Master System and also in Emulators you can switch 50/60Hz to see the huge difference. Not only Music (Alex Kidd Music sounds much better with 60Hz speed) but also overall speed. Because I live in PAL Land this always was present. Of course, if you only know the PAL speed, you don't miss anything or even notice it. But since I played these alot and now I know these Games in the original speed I really notice the huge difference. Sonic PAL/NTSC is a different gameplay for sure. I don't own Nintendo Consoles so I can't say how good/bad it was there.

However Alex Kidd in Miracle world, the most overrated master system game.. I can't even put the music on and have my dad tell me to "turn that shit off" because he heard it so many times when I was a kid because my mother refused to buy any sega games for us. lol
I really like the Music. Or maybe it just had burned into my brain because I played the game so much. :D

Alex Kidd was actualy pretty good and complex. AND insane hard at the end. You only had 3 lives or so, no savegame, no password, no lifebar, no nothing. One hit was always instant death so yeah, it was maybe not the best game but after months I managed it through and I was really happy. I'm sure I couldn't do this today anymore. Way to stressful for my age. ^^

Well, imo, Alex Kidd in Miracle world was one of the best SEGA platformers ever created and came free with every SMSII, so everyone was a winner.

I've finished it countless times. Twas epic :wub:

Because I live in PAL Land this always was present. Of course, if you only know the PAL speed, you don't miss anything or even notice it.
Even if you lived in a PAL region, if your first encounter was with the Game Gear version you would very much notice it, though - the Game Gear ran at 60Hz, and it ran Master System games this way via the MasterGear Converter, too. Trying the Mega Drive version after that (as I did) really highlighted how incredibly slow it was. :p

I may have said it already but Gears of War is a dire series of barely controllable games, I can't believe they've sold so many copies based purely on machismo and teenage boners. Same goes for Halo, dull locations, boring characters, sloppy enemies, utter drivel.

All Final fantasy series..

All Ridge Racers [rave.. rage] for PSX prior to RR4 are crap..

Even if RR is an Arcade, physics in these games are ultimate joke. There are no excuses for it in year 1994/96, because STUNTS from 1990 has better physics.. hell, even winning Run from Namco actually has better physics..

ok, I'm going to say it, battlefield bad company 2, everything in that game is too friggen destructible. I shouldn't be able knife a chain link fence and have it blow up, and the apaches don't fly right, they're way to sluggish and handicapped, have you ever seen an apache fly? they can do loops and barrel rolls!

ok, I'm going to say it, battlefield bad company 2, everything in that game is too friggen destructible. I shouldn't be able knife a chain link fence and have it blow up, and the apaches don't fly right, they're way to sluggish and handicapped, have you ever seen an apache fly? they can do loops and barrel rolls!

Well I liked BC2, sure there was some odd things.. but show me a game that everybody liked everything.. Battlefield 3 is just a more polished version, although I do miss a few things from BC2.. The recent Battlefields have been the best multiplayer games I seen in a long time. It's a shooter that encourages team work, not necessarily the person that can snipe the best. I've got first place for just being a good medic and getting in revives. Completing objectives as a team is rewarded and such... The CoD games to me have a shallow multiplayer experience..

Back