Good games that are actually rubbish.

I must admit, I was equally unimpressed at the time... :p I just don't like the designs (just not my sort of thing), and I found the music irritating (again, not my sort of thing), and this didn't make a good backdrop considering that I didn't find the gameplay, controls (digital or analogue), or presentation to be any good, either. :lol:

To each their own, though, of course. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I must admit, I was equally unimpressed at the time... :p I just don't like the designs (just not my sort of thing), and I found the music irritating (again, not my sort of thing), and this didn't make a good backdrop considering that I didn't find the gameplay, controls (digital or analogue), or presentation to be any good, either. :lol:

To each their own, though, of course. :)
I cannot possibly agree more! None of it jelled with me at all either.

You know, iprice, I'm starting to notice lately that we appear to have similar tastes (and, seemingly, similar dislikes) in games - even down to having avatars taken from Capcom series that are regarded as being challenging. :lol:

We are not one and the same or even schizophrenics (well you might be, but I just work with them - I honestly work in a psychiatric unit). :p

I'm probably going to be flamed... badly... for this, but... erm...

Super Mario 64.

I honestly just can't enjoy this game. I would be able to if it weren't for the god-awful control, namely:

- The useless punch and kick moves just serve to get in the way.

- When you turn around (180 degrees), Mario sometimes walks in a half-circle as if he's a car.

- Having to be moving, then move in the opposite direction to backflip (as opposed to Super Mario Sunshine's much simpler control here, which doesn't require you to be moving first).

Might seem like minor things and I'm sure the control was great at the time (3D games were at their infancy), but having been introduced to the 3D platformer by Super Mario Sunshine, which has far superior controls, I just can't stand it.

I also can't stand the camera. Not the fact that you don't have proper camera control (forgivable due to lack of a second analog stick), but that the camera always seems to be turning to your side rather than your back (at least in the first stage; I haven't played any later stages at this point). It feels to me like you're constantly fighting against it. Again, I'm sure this was top-notch when SM64 was released, but I just can't tolerate it, being used to Super Mario Sunshine.

Another one, which I've mentioned before, is Sonic the Hedgehog and its successors on the MegaDrive/Genesis (except, if you count it, Sonic CD). The main issue here, besides my ironic complaint that the first game's music is rubbish at least in zones 2 and 3 (especially zone 3), is the control, and the secondary issue is the level design. The control is unnecessarily simplistic, using button combinations which are not necessary when using a separate button would have been better (namely, the spin dash), and much worse, I can't stand that you can't control your movement in the air if you got their by jumping while rolling. The levels are also not designed all that well, with parts that are tedious or sometimes flat-out frustrating (e.g. having to slow down to avoid falling into an instant-death pit, or falling to a lower level). The irony is that the Master System remake of Sonic 1 has none of these flaws, so I enjoy it much more than the would-be-superior Genesis version. In fact, the Master System version of Sonic 1 is one of my favorite games.

We are not one and the same or even schizophrenics (well you might be, but I just work with them - I honestly work in a psychiatric unit). :p
Hahahaha... :lol: I just said that we seem to have similar tastes in games! (And, no, I'm not. :p )

Super Mario 64.

I honestly just can't enjoy this game.[...]
You are not the only one. My reasons are different to yours, but I don't like it either. :p

I just plain don't find it, or its descendents, fun at all. It's fiddly to play, full of sparse environments with no real action, its goals are not interesting to me (find a star, find a star, find a star, find a star, find a star, find a star, find a star, find a star, find a star, find a star, find a star, find a star, find a star, find a star, find a star, find a star, find a star, find a star, find a star, find a star, find a star, find a star, find a star, find a star, find a star, find a star, find a star, find a star, over and over again is not appealing to me - it's as boring to me as reading this repetitive bracketed sentence is for the rest of you :p ), and uses a number of aggravating bits of padding in order to lengthen the game - such as repeating each stage a ton of times to go on different dull-as-ditchwater scavenger-hunts instead of the previous ones, that stupid Wet/Dry World, and having to get absolutely every samey MacGuffin in order to get... what was it again? Some boring message on the roof? Anyway, it's not for me because I don't enjoy it, plain and simple. :p

At the time, I tried very, very hard to force myself to like it, because I was still a child and still a bit gullible about the press and really believed that reviewers knew their stuff, and thus swallowed the claims that games like it were "the future" and thus should automatically be loved without question. As I got older, I realised that reviewers talk a load of bunk and that it was stupid to force myself to play and try to like games that I don't enjoy. :p

It's pretty horrible the sorts of reactions you'll get if you say that you don't enjoy this game and give your reasons why, so it's always interesting to see (apart from looking at how it's been dwarfed in sales by many games that came before and after it, bearing in mind that demo units were *everywhere* back in the day) someone else who also doesn't get on with it.

The irony is that the Master System remake of Sonic 1 has none of these flaws, so I enjoy it much more than the would-be-superior Genesis version. In fact, the Master System version of Sonic 1 is one of my favorite games.
You may want to give the Game Gear version a look, as it is a further refined and polished version of the same game as the Master System version (not to a *gigantic* degree, but some of the bosses are different, the vertical waterfall stage in Jungle Zone has been fixed up a bit and made a bit fairer, and the visuals have been cleaned up some, for example).

The irony is that the Master System remake of Sonic 1 has none of these flaws, so I enjoy it much more than the would-be-superior Genesis version. In fact, the Master System version of Sonic 1 is one of my favorite games.

I agree, it's a much better game. It's a shame it was overshadowed by the Megadrive version.

Sonic3 on the master system (Sonic Chaos I think it's called) shows how good the visuals could have been too - I always thought Sega made the SMS version of Sonic1 look inferior on purpose, so people would upgrade to the 16Bit version.

Ditchwater?

i thought you got it wrong there, but knew you're an inteligent type so took it to google..

Ive heard of dishwater, not ditchwater, but seems thats the original English phrase dating to 1700s

New phrase learnt for the day.

Mario 64 did annoy me at first with its controls and camera but i soon got used to it and got pretty good controlling it after a little while

All mario games annoy me ive never liked them.edit I really fuckin hate mario LoL Mario barbeque anyone? Guess who gets barbequed in a myriad of painful ways!!

Deus ex! I played it on the ps2 it was dated with bad graphics and a finnicky camera etc.I traded it in.

C.O.D modern warfare I finished it but it was hugely overrated.Enemies that respawned endlessly unless you ran forward to some arbitrary point on the map.Utterly random checkpoint chokepoints.again only moving to an entirely arbritrary position would a particular game sequence stop playing out.extremely linear level design.It was a 6 out of ten not a 9 0r ten.

Another one, which I've mentioned before, is Sonic the Hedgehog and its successors on the MegaDrive/Genesis (except, if you count it, Sonic CD). The main issue here, besides my ironic complaint that the first game's music is rubbish at least in zones 2 and 3 (especially zone 3), is the control, and the secondary issue is the level design. The control is unnecessarily simplistic, using button combinations which are not necessary when using a separate button would have been better (namely, the spin dash), and much worse, I can't stand that you can't control your movement in the air if you got their by jumping while rolling. The levels are also not designed all that well, with parts that are tedious or sometimes flat-out frustrating (e.g. having to slow down to avoid falling into an instant-death pit, or falling to a lower level). The irony is that the Master System remake of Sonic 1 has none of these flaws, so I enjoy it much more than the would-be-superior Genesis version. In fact, the Master System version of Sonic 1 is one of my favorite games.
Seriously? o_O"

Ok, it's your opinion but I find that Sonic 1 for the Megadrive is a very good Game. I know it because I've played the Master System and the Megadrive Version to death. Both Games are pretty good but seriously, I always was jealous to the 16-Bit powered MD Version, since I only had a Master System first. Sonic 1 still looks so great on the Megadrive, I love the Parallax-Scrolling and the colours, of course this should not be compared to the MS Version but the MD Version also had much more gameplay elements, everything was more dynamic and overall faster. Sonic on the Master System played more like a classical Jump'n Run and not like a racing game like the MD Versions do.

I agree that some of the later Sonic 1 levels are not that great designed on the Megadrive. Green Hill Zone is still the best.

But I also played Sonic 2 on MS and MD and I can tell you, the Master System version of this game is just average in the best case, I really was dissappointed. The Megadrive Version is still one of my fav. games, I played it more than any other MD game. It is better than Sonic 1 for sure. Only topped by Sonic CD and Sonic 3 of course. :D

Sonic3 on the master system (Sonic Chaos I think it's called) shows how good the visuals could have been too - I always thought Sega made the SMS version of Sonic1 look inferior on purpose, so people would upgrade to the 16Bit version.
If you want to play a really outsanding Master System game, then try "Land of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse", maybe the best MS Jump'n Run ever. Superb graphics and gameplay. It also is one of the biggest MS Games, they really put alot in the Cartridge. :)

everything was more dynamic and overall faster. Sonic on the Master System played more like a classical Jump'n Run and not like a racing game like the MD Versions do.

Racing game? No, no, F-Zero is a racing game. Sonic the Hedgehog for the MegaDrive is a classic jump'n run. It's no more of a racing game than Super Mario Bros is. As a racing game, none of the Sonic games (not even Sonic CD, which I like) are anywhere near as good as F-Zero or F-Zero X (the two F-Zero games I've actually played). F-Zero actually lets you see where you're going, gives you fluid control, doesn't make you take an eternity to get to top speed (unless you specifically choose the racer-vehicle thingy that works like that), and never makes you stop and wait for something. And it's much faster than any Sonic game is, too.

What SONY said. Majority rule and all that - it was called Mega Drive everywhere but two countries. ;) (Though I do seem to recall that an allegedly licensed clone called the "Gam*Boy" or something similar was apparently sold in Korea or thereabouts.)

Back