God's Great Banana Skin

fusion_power

Advanced Member
Website
Visit site
No, I'm not a fan of Chris Rea! :lol:
But Ages ago, it was around 1993 I've seen this Video the first Time. And since I've seen it I wanted a Handheld, that was able to run a game like seen in the Video. At this Time the Original Gameboy was THE Handheld, and also was the Sega Game Gear. Booth were fare away to handle a 16-Bit looking Game like this.
But I imainged to have such a Handheld one day, I guess thats where my faible for GP2X and Pandora comes from. Well, just watch the Video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doPfdM0HBXg

The Handheld of course is a Fake. BUT the Game was not. They really coded this game within AFAIK 2 Weeks (!!!) But I don't know on which machine. Would be funny to have this Game, including all the weird Ideas shown and of course blown up and polisshed. OK, I even could live with Chris Rea BG Music, pretty nice Slide-Guitar Stuff. ^_^

Wasn't there a thread or post exactly like this one about one and a half years ago?

But yeah, great video. How times have changed, eh.

Exophase said:
I wonder what that game was done on. Maybe an Amiga?

At first I thought it was a SNES. The number of parallax layers, the palette etc. If it's an Amiga it's probably a 1200.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
Exophase said:
I wonder what that game was done on. Maybe an Amiga?

At first I thought it was a SNES. The number of parallax layers, the palette etc. If it's an Amiga it's probably a 1200.
Looked more like a Megadrive game to me. Especially when they were jumping up the screen on the guitars :D

kuru said:
Wasn't there a thread or post exactly like this one about one and a half years ago?

But yeah, great video. How times have changed, eh.
No, not in this Forum. I mentioned the Video a while ago in the german boards. ;)

Tripmonkey_uk said:
Looked more like a Megadrive game to me. Especially when they were jumping up the screen on the guitars :D
Possible, but somehow it looks like it has to many colours for a Mega Drive Game. (64 Max). I'm not sure but AFAIK Amiga Games could only display 32 Colours.
Well, at this time there were not to many options to code a game that looked like this. ^^" Many animations, big zooming sprites (Flying Enemies at the end) I'm not sure if a Megadrive is able to zoom Sprites this way. SNES could, maybe.

A1200 could display 256 colours (indexed), and to me that looks like an Amiga game, some bits remind me of Amiga games I have played, and Amiga could do full screen sprites, might be a Amiga format special? <_<

Hmm, the visible interlacing artifacts in the video make me think the resolution must have been full 480i. What consoles were able to put out that resolution?

I think that leaves only Amiga, no?

I also think it's less likely that it was done on a console since you'd need to be a licensed developer to have the tools back then.. not impossible of course.

Exophase said:
I also think it's less likely that it was done on a console since you'd need to be a licensed developer to have the tools back then.. not impossible of course.

I'd guess it's just an existing engine with different graphics. It looks like something along the lines of Donkey Kong Country.

reminds me of titus the fox - ok characters are different, and the guitar bit is weird, but the movement feels the same to me.

*edit - ignore me, i looked up titus on youtube - its nothing like it. I was going by my original memory from 1992 - its obviously not reliable.

Fishbong said:
I now want to replicate this handheld and put a Gp2x inside it..
Wait! I have a great idea!

We, you and I, build our own hand held console. Just two guys from the gp2x.com forums.
I think we need some, say, 3000 or so preorders. With that money we can order parts and search a factory in the US.
Well, US might be end up being to expensive. Let's try our luck in China...

What do you think Fishbong?

Creature XL said:
Fishbong said:
I now want to replicate this handheld and put a Gp2x inside it..
Wait! I have a great idea!

We, you and I, build our own hand held console. Just two guys from the gp2x.com forums.
I think we need some, say, 3000 or so preorders. With that money we can order parts and search a factory in the US.
Well, US might be end up being to expensive. Let's try our luck in China...

What do you think Fishbong?

^ I lol'd

hobbyman II said:
A1200 could display 256 colours (indexed), and to me that looks like an Amiga game, some bits remind me of Amiga games I have played, and Amiga could do full screen sprites, might be a Amiga format special? <_<
Ah OK, I never had an Amiga. :) Was a Atari ST powerful enough to display Games in this Quality too?

craigix said:
I'd guess it's just an existing engine with different graphics. It looks like something along the lines of Donkey Kong Country.
But Donkey Kong Country was 1994, the Video was 1992/1993 or so. :)

I still searching the web for a "Making of", I'm sure I found it ages ago where it was explained that they only had 2 weeks for the game.

Back