Gnuboy2x - Any Sources Available?

timothee

Website
Visit site
Hi all,

I love gnuboy2x for its amazing emulation (and great sound!), but I'm a bit furstrated with the menu and especially by the fact that the rom browser cannot handle large rom collections.

I searched the forums and discovered that the sources for gnuboy2x have been lost by its author :(. I'd like to ask if anyone has any version of the sources, even from old releases?

If there are abolutely no sources, are there alternatives for gb/gbc emulation on the gp2x?

Thanks,
Tim.

The sources are all gone for GNuBoy so we are SOL for that.

There is a good GB emu on PSP "Homers Rin" and i think source is available. Someone could port that I suppose.

I can't get GNUboy to run at all as the zip support is dodgy. It just crashes out to the menu when I run it. I don't want to unzip all of the ROMs either as they eat too much space.

gnuboy2x is a port of gnuboy, of course, which is a small, clean, portable, and accurate GB emulator. Can't say what the porters did to improve it - given how much this emulator is liked (even over previous gnuboy ports) I'd think it was substantial. But maybe the changes can still be reproduced.

Unfortunately this project (and gpengine) should have released the source in the first place since they're both derivations of GPLed projects.

Goomba/Goomba Color makes heavy use of the GBA's sprite and tiling hardware to achieve it's impressive frame rates, so that would not be so useful for the GP2X.

Of course you could try Goomba on GPSP :)

Thanks for your replies guys,

I don't want to unzip all of the ROMs either as they eat too much space.

Since I can't have my full rom collections at any one time anyway. Currently I unzip the roms I play and use them like unzipped. It's indeed far from ideal :(

Unfortunately this project (and gpengine) should have released the source in the first place since they're both derivations of GPLed projects.

I totally agree. Although technically, they were not in the wrong not to release the sources. GPL only states that the sources must be provided to those who ask for them. And that's where I'm coming from: I'm hoping someone requested the sources at some point during the development and still have them buried somewhere. That could be used as a starting point instead of starting from scratch again.

@Yodaz: thanks for that link, I'll check it out!

DaveC said:
I can't get GNUboy to run at all as the zip support is dodgy. It just crashes out to the menu when I run it. I don't want to unzip all of the ROMs either as they eat too much space.
Are you sure you have the latest version? Zip support works fine for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since two decent emulators sources have been lost by accident, woundn't it be wise to release the
source of Temper the PC engine emulator so history doesn't repeat itself? :eek:

nixeon4x said:
Since two decent emulators sources have been lost by accident, woundn't it be wise to release the
Temper is not GPLed it was written from scratch so the source doesn't need to be released.
naples39 said:
DaveC said:

Maybe I have too many ROMs and it crashes out.

nixeon4x said:
I've got the source backed up on a thumb drive and I send it out to trusted people periodically, even for versions not yet released. It'd take a major catastrophe for it to be lost.

I might even start using a repository somewhere for better testing purposes >_>

I had a (very) quick gander at the Homer's Rin sources, and they use waaaaaay too much MIPS ASM for me to even dream of porting it, but I sure hope someone at least attempts it - it looks amazing!

naples39 said:
DaveC said:

I wasn't aware that the Gnuboy2x WIP supported zip files.

I tried it out, and it does work with zipped ROMs, but it crashes after loading a few ROMs. After that, the GP2X needs to be restarted to be able load zipped ROMs again (it would keep crashing if not), but the weird thing is that it can still load the unzipped ones normally. :huh:

It seems to be only partial support. Too bad it can no longer be updated. :(

The sources currently posted for gngb do not compile for me, whether I am compiling for x86 or arm. I have tried a few tricks to get it to compile, but the resulting binary will not run on my desktop or my gp2x (SDL parachute).

Any links to any other projects that have something working that are based off this? A few quick glances at the source code gave me quite a headache :)

yodaofborg said:
The sources currently posted for gngb do not compile for me, whether I am compiling for x86 or arm. I have tried a few tricks to get it to compile, but the resulting binary will not run on my desktop or my gp2x (SDL parachute).

Any links to any other projects that have something working that are based off this? A few quick glances at the source code gave me quite a headache :)
Dunno what you're doing wrong but I compiled it for my x86 Linux PC without any problems at all - I even played a few games and double-checked SRAM saving with Mario Land 2. I don't remember if I had to change anything (I should still have the files around somewhere) but if I did it was quite minor. I seem to remember a few config options to kill X-specific options but I might be thinking of something else.

Having said that, I got the parachute on the GP2x (no problems compiling or linking) but it's not surprising because I didn't change any of the game code and it's probably trying to initialise sound and all sorts incorrectly. I put it in my "Yep, that's possible but I haven't got time" category but I don't think it would be difficult to get running - the problem would be more how to add an interface to the thing.

ledow said:
yodaofborg said:

Dunno what you're doing wrong but I compiled it for my x86 Linux PC without any problems at all - I even played a few games and double-checked SRAM saving with Mario Land 2. I don't remember if I had to change anything (I should still have the files around somewhere) but if I did it was quite minor. I seem to remember a few config options to kill X-specific options but I might be thinking of something else.

Having said that, I got the parachute on the GP2x (no problems compiling or linking) but it's not surprising because I didn't change any of the game code and it's probably trying to initialise sound and all sorts incorrectly. I put it in my "Yep, that's possible but I haven't got time" category but I don't think it would be difficult to get running - the problem would be more how to add an interface to the thing.

Don't try to port gngb. I did it as my first gp2x project but the emulation was way too slow (especially because the sound part is not optimized, shame on me :ph34r: )
Porting the original gnuboy is the best option IMHO

Back