Gngeo issues (too many to list all)

Garrett

Advanced Member
I am not sure what version my romset is as i inherited it, but they all work without issue on multiple different windows versions of Mame & FBA..

sometimes a rom will load, sometimes it won't, missing this or that file etc (seems completely random) i sometimes get a complete lock up & have to hard reset the Pandora, sometimes it will permanently hang on either the loading or decrypting of the rom & again i have to reset, certain games (when they load) will have missing sounds/music or both (other times they are OK)

Any insight into this behaviour would be most welcome

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neo Geo emulation on Pandora is a little disappointing, I was really hoping for something that matched the truly excellent Neo Geo Emulation on the GP2X. However I did manage to get it going following the advice from Pepone (Neo Geo Emulator Dev) :

Use Neo Geo roms from a recent Mame romset

Hope that helps a bit.

Just had a thought, I wonder if the old GP2X emulator for Neo Geo would work on Pandora via Ginge?

Ermm... GNGeo on the Pandora is the further developed gp2x version (thus the newer romsets), I've had no problems with any game... so I don't see why the gp2x emulation is better here...?

Bad choice of words by me, Neo Geo emulation itself is fine on Pandora, i.e. it works well and looks great. However like many others I found it difficult to source working roms, there is little clue given as to what is wrong when the rom is from the wrong set.

Also seem to remember that the GP2X emulator had a really nice front end.

Was also going to lament the lack of save states but just noticed you can save the state on Pandora. :blink:

Great comments by everyone about gngeo issues. :D

The frontend on gp2x is the same one on caanoo. :D

more games work on caanoo than pandora,if you look at kof2001 it runs perfect on caanoo but on pandora there is no energy bar missing at the top.

Other game is svc plus works on caanoo but pandora it does not work,i tried so many different romsets there is no hope,this will run on pandora.

Gngeo is very disappointing on pandora as said before,the compatibility is very poor,i think pepone needs to update the emulator a bit. :(

What version of the MAME romset should I be using for Gngeo?

What version of the MAME romset should I be using for Gngeo?

Use the latest mame romset for neo geo. It may work with earlier ones too, but the advice from Pepone was to use the latest set IIRC.

GNGeo never worked for me on the Pandora (it still works great on the GP2X) it is so selective when it comes to ROMS. And now it killed my Pandora Start Icon on the desktop! o_O" I only tried another Metal Slug3 ROM but it returned to desktop and the Pandora Icon was gone. Pandora Button is also useless now -great- :(

GNGeo never worked for me on the Pandora (it still works great on the GP2X) it is so selective when it comes to ROMS. And now it killed my Pandora Start Icon on the desktop! o_O" I only tried another Metal Slug3 ROM but it returned to desktop and the Pandora Icon was gone. Pandora Button is also useless now -great- :(
If removing the emulator from your SD card (and reversing as many other changes as you can remember) does not fix the issue, it might be time for a reflash.

The XFCE menu button can disappear for some reason. I don't think you can pin down the cause to any single app - I've had it happen a few times and haven't been running GnGeo, nor have I spotted any other common cause. Getting it back is simple, you just have to right click the taskbar and add it again: http://www.gp32x.de...post__p__887618

If removing the emulator from your SD card (and reversing as many other changes as you can remember) does not fix the issue, it might be time for a reflash.
I only downloaded and installed the latest GNGeo, so there should be no mess in appdata or anything like this. But of course I will try everything again. I also thought I can handle clrmamepro pretty well. But everything gets messy when trying the ROMS on the Pandora Emulators. Some work instantly, without doing anything (mainly in FBA) some don't even work after rebuilding (of course I checked the compatibility lists).

The XFCE menu button can disappear for some reason. I don't think you can pin down the cause to any single app - I've had it happen a few times and haven't been running GnGeo, nor have I spotted any other common cause. Getting it back is simple, you just have to right click the taskbar and add it again: http://www.gp32x.de...post__p__887618
Yes, I know. Getting it back was not the problem. I just wonder how a program can even cause this. I have never lost my start button in Windows. :D

For your GnGeo compatibility issues, check this spreadsheet.
This helps when you know your ROM version. ;) No clue what I have gotten at the moment. I can tell that my own, older mame 0.104 set doesn't work at all, even after rebuilding. Not in FBA, not in GNGeo. I never tried any MAME emu on the Pandora but I should do it, they are supposed to work at least there, when I use MAME EX. :)

Yes, I know. Getting it back was not the problem. I just wonder how a program can even cause this. I have never lost my start button in Windows. :D
Helps that it's not removable in the first place :p I've certainly lost Windows taskbar elements that are user editable (quicklaunch etc). That's generally PEBCAK though. I think XFCE is just a little dicky sometimes to be honest!

From what I've been able to reproduce, the usual cause of the menu-button in Xfce disappearing seems to be due to a lack of RAM, I've found. I've even reproduced that on more powerful x86 machines running it. :p Every time I've lost it on the Pandora (which is not many times, admittedly), it's been from trying to do stuff that's too big for the RAM to handle. :lol:

For your GnGeo compatibility issues, check this spreadsheet.
This helps when you know your ROM version. ;) No clue what I have gotten at the moment. I can tell that my own, older mame 0.104 set doesn't work at all, even after rebuilding. Not in FBA, not in GNGeo. I never tried any MAME emu on the Pandora but I should do it, they are supposed to work at least there, when I use MAME EX. :)

Well, there are many different versions of arcade emulators, with different ROM set requirements. Therefore, it's (unfortunately) necessary to create an individual ROM set for every emulator. FBA and PanMAME for example, are based on recent PC versions (FBA 0.2.97.24 and MAME 0.106) and have great compatibility. Such ROM sets are easy to find or generate (using the procedure below). GnGeo has a longer version history and still a number of compatibility issues. This makes it a bit more tricky to create a working ROM set.

However, rebuilding a newer MAME ROM set from an older set will not create a fully functional new ROM set. The ROM manager will only rename ROM files, but is not able to replace ROM files, if the content has changed (different dump). You need a full MAME ROM set plus a MAME rollback ROM set, to create a clean new set.

According to my test results, building a MAME 0.138 set seems to be a good starting point for GnGeo.

Here an example how to create a MAME 0.138 set from MAME 0.145 using a rollback set:

The required files...

1. clrmamepro ROM manager

2. MAME 0.138 binary (or .dat file)

3. Full MAME 0.145 ROM set (contains all MAME 0.145 compatible ROMs)

4. Full MAME 0.145 rollback ROM set (contains all changed ROMs since MAME 0.29)

The steps in clrmamepro...

1. Profiler : Create and load profile for MAME 0.138 (specify MAME 0.138 binary here)

2. Settings : Create ROM path (directory) for your new MAME 0.138 ROM set

3. Rebuilder : Deactivate "Recompress Files" for performance reasons. Now simply drag & drop your MAME 0.145 and MAME 0.145 rollback directory simultaneously into the Rebuilder window.

That's it. Wait until your new MAME 0.138 ROM set has been created. It takes some time.

Hope this helps. :)

Yes, I noticed that it is not a good Idea to try a rebuild from an old set to a newer set. :D However, I use CLRMAMEPRO since many years and with the older sets I uaualy had good results in the past (old MAME versions for GP2X Mame for example) easy trick is also to simply open the scanner and drag & drop your ROMS in the window, of course first you have to setup all settings in clrmamepro. Yesterday I guess I messed some things up there, since it didn't only rebuilt the selected roms but even all the others that not existed. ^^

Always alot of stress with these Arcade ROMs. Why can't they just a normal ROM, you know, simple 1:1 readout that does never change? Like Console ROMS usualy are.

Yes, I noticed that it is not a good Idea to try a rebuild from an old set to a newer set. :D

They other way around (without a rollback set) isn't a good idea either. ;)

Always alot of stress with these Arcade ROMs. Why can't they just a normal ROM, you know, simple 1:1 readout that does never change? Like Console ROMS usualy are.

Well, I think there might be a simple reason. A console emulator has to deal with a single hardware, while arcade emulation has to deal with many different types of hardware (boards). Early dumps might be incomplete or incorrect (e.g. the ROM has already been dumped, but couldn't be tested since the emulator doesn't support it yet). Or additional files are required (e.g. XOR files for decryption). Such ROMs might be included in earlier sets, but don't work. Also, newer emulator versions support new games (boards). And since arcade emulators constantly support new games (boards), it seems to be necessary to restructure parts of the code from time to time, at the expense of ROM compatibility.

I have noticed that some roms do not work well with GnGeo...

Super Sidekicks 1 and 2 do not show the proper background (the field is invisible)

KOF 1998 resets during the game.

KOF 2000 drops the sound completely in the menu

KOF 2002 drops the music in game.

Not sure if these are problems linked to the roms I used or if they are linked to GnGeo.

If you have tested these roms and had no problems, please let me know.

Thanks!

Back