Gmu Music Player

wejp said:
Whenever possible use normal M3U files, not the ancient simple version like you did. This should not be the problem here, though, but that way you would at least see the actual title instead of just the path (or part of it).

I did originally use a version with the metadata information, which Gmu displayed correctly. But when the songs in the playlist wouldn't play, I tried a simpler version to rule out the problem possibly being the metadata information.

wejp said:
What you could also try, is to create a playlist with those tracks within Gmu and then use Gmu to save that playlist to disc. Gmu always writes the full m3u file format, not the old one without any meta data. You could then compare the two to check what's different. There must be something wrong with the path and/or the file's character encoding. Character encoding is especially critical with filenames that contain non-ASCII characters like Ö.

As I mentioned, I was able to get Gmu to create a playlist once. Unfortunately in my experimentations, I didn't save it, and afterwards I would get the "failed saving (playlist filename)" when I tried to save a playlist.

I'll start off with a fresh install of Gmu and try again.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like for some reason Gmu has no permission to write where it wants to write. Does Gmu remember its playlist when you close it and then restart it? If it does, you could have a look at its playlist.m3u file (which is probably located in the Gmu directory right where the gmu binary is).

wejp said:
It looks like for some reason Gmu has no permission to write where it wants to write. Does Gmu remember its playlist when you close it and then restart it? If it does, you could have a look at its playlist.m3u file (which is probably located in the Gmu directory right where the gmu binary is).

Yep, looked like I had the folder set read-only.

OK, so I found three things I needed to change to get a playlist to work:

1) Have to start off the absolute file path with /mnt/sd/music (not just /music) - I should've guessed at that.

2) Have to use Unix forward slashes instead of DOS back slashes - yep.

3) I needed to change the case of the directory name, which was the first character of the artist name, from upper to lower case. This surprised me a bit as the directory is actually upper case, though this may be a Unix versus DOS thing. For example, this wouldn't work:

/mnt/sd/music/A/Alice Cooper-Definitive Alice Cooper, The-1- I'm Eighteen.mp3

but this would:

/mnt/sd/music/a/Alice Cooper-Definitive Alice Cooper, The-1- I'm Eighteen.mp3

Anyway, I know the "rules" now ... thanks for your help.

I always assumed it was something *I* was screwing up. ;-)

Also found that I could use relative filepaths in addition to absolute filepaths.

Now I just gotta figure out how to get MediaMonkey to put forward slashes into the playlist file instead of back slashes.

Thanks.

Screen Off doesn't turn the screen off, it just blanks it. A true screen off would be great, that way it doesn't use up power. Or better yet, detect when the key lock switch is on and do it automatically.

lnx64 said:
Screen Off doesn't turn the screen off, it just blanks it. A true screen off would be great, that way it doesn't use up power. Or better yet, detect when the key lock switch is on and do it automatically.
Gmu supports both turning off the screen as well as turning it off when the lock key is on, but as this is hardware dependent (especially the screen blanking part) support for that needs to be specifically included for each device. This is not the case for the Caanoo, yet.

Back