Gmu Music Player

scachi

Hi,

you can get gmu for caanoo for testing here.

Sourcecode is available here.

I have tested it only with a few mp3 files.

Left-shoulder button + Home button quits gmu.
Left-shoulder button + Left or Right stick movement to control volume for better control of the caanoo volume slider for low volume.

Sweet, can't wait to try it tonight!

scachi said:
Hi,

you can get gmu for caanoo for testing here.

Sourcecode is available here.

I have tested it only with a few mp3 files.

Left-shoulder button + Home button quits gmu.
Left-shoulder button + Left or Right stick movement to control volume for better control of the caanoo volume slider for low volume.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great player, I just wish the left shoulder button could be skip back instead of mod. Is there a way to change this?

darklight1138 said:
This is a great player, I just wish the left shoulder button could be skip back instead of mod. Is there a way to change this?
You can edit the caanoo.keymap file and change the Modifier line from
Modifier=L to something else.. valid Button Names are:
A,X,B,Y,L,R,Home,HelpI,HelpII,StickClick,Up,Down,Left,Right

But remember to change all other lines in the keymap file where your new "Modifier" button is already used to another button !

Thanks for the port. I usually don't use earphones with the caanoo but I never realised that the caanoo actually has pretty great sound.

scachi, can you add eq to gmu?
i think it would be fantastic

Solod said:
scachi, can you add eq to gmu?
i think it would be fantastic
For feature request you get in contact with wejp as it is his program, I did only the port.
Homepage: http://wejp.k.vu/projects/gmu
Please consider to donate to him so he is able to buy a caanoo and then he will be happy to official maintain the caanoo port.

scachi said:
darklight1138 said:
You can edit the caanoo.keymap file and change the Modifier line from
Modifier=L to something else.. valid Button Names are:
A,X,B,Y,L,R,Home,HelpI,HelpII,StickClick,Up,Down,Left,Right

But remember to change all other lines in the keymap file where your new "Modifier" button is already used to another button !

Thanks! Just saw that you explain how to do that perfectly in the readme. Sorry, my fault! Again, great program. I've been using it alot lately.

I still have to give this one a try.
by reading the authors page, it seems I can stream internet radio with it.

...thoughts of SLAYRADIO playing on it is itching my mind!

thanks!

erico said:
I still have to give this one a try.
by reading the authors page, it seems I can stream internet radio with it.

You have read that right, Gmu can indeed play mp3 internet radio...

...thoughts of SLAYRADIO playing on it is itching my mind!
..and SlayRadio is an excellent internet radio choice. Actually, it was one of the internet radios I have used to test internet audio streaming with Gmu, while developing it. :D All you have to do is download the playlist file from the slayradio website onto your sd card and then open that file with Gmu like you would do with an mp3 or ogg file.

Whipped up a title bar...

gmup.png

Anyone tried both ommpc and gmu? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on which is the superior player. I mean beyond the obvious stuff like gmu being able to stream internet radio, etc.. Quirks, annoyances, nice surprises etc.

Thanks in advance.

Promised Planet said:
Anyone tried both ommpc and gmu? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on which is the superior player. I mean beyond the obvious stuff like gmu being able to stream internet radio, etc.. Quirks, annoyances, nice surprises etc.

Thanks in advance.
The only thing I can think that ommpc does better than GMU is background playing (and may be a filetype or an other)

OK, well one thing (which may have been one of those "obvious" things I mentioned ;-) is that Gmu doesn't build a database from song tags. But I can deal with using playlists to accomplish the same thing instead.

One advantage of Gmu is that it appears to read M3U playlist formats written by popular music managers like MediaMonkey, while ommpc has trouble with certain formats. At one point I WAS able to get ommpc to read these playlists, but I'm not sure what magic I performed because now I can't. I tried generating a playlist internally with ommpc and comparing it to the others. After editing the other playlists to fix (?) the obvious stuff (convert line-endings, folder backslashes to forwardslashes), I'm still stumped.

Err, I spoke a little too soon about playlist support. I can't get playlists to work in Gmu.

So I have my music organized as such: /music/(x)/(filename).mp3, where (x) is the first character in the artist name.

I have my playlists stored in /playlists/artist/(filename).m3u for artist playlists, and /playlists/playlist/(filename).m3u for other playlists.

In /playlists/playlist/test.m3u I have the following contents:

/music/B/Blue Öyster Cult-Don't Fear The Reaper- The Best Of Blue Öyster Cult-09 Godzilla (Album Version).mp3
/music/B/Brownsville Station-Down In Dixie- The Best Of Southern Rock-04 Smokin' In The Boy's Room.mp3

I go to gmu's File Browser view, select this playlist, and click on B ("add file"). Gmu displays "M3U added to playlist".

I then go to the playlist view, which displays the two entries exactly as shown above (including directory path), although only 63 characters of each full file spec are shown.

When I click on B to play either item, Gmu just shows the pause symbol, and the file doesn't play.

If I go directly to either MP3 in the File Browser view, and click A to play the MP3, it plays fine.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Whenever possible use normal M3U files, not the ancient simple version like you did. This should not be the problem here, though, but that way you would at least see the actual title instead of just the path (or part of it).

What you could also try, is to create a playlist with those tracks within Gmu and then use Gmu to save that playlist to disc. Gmu always writes the full m3u file format, not the old one without any meta data. You could then compare the two to check what's different. There must be something wrong with the path and/or the file's character encoding. Character encoding is especially critical with filenames that contain non-ASCII characters like Ö.

Back