Caanoo / WIZ Gmenuwiz

DaveC

Internal Development
I would hope this menu would be ported to the Wiz. The current default one is just like the original GP2X menu and it is crap.

That would be awesome. The Wiz menu is flash, isn't it? It's garbage. I would be pretty interested in an alternative dashboard of sorts, too.

Wow, you guys really think so? I think this menu is much nicer than the GP2X one. gmenu2x would still be a good alternative of course. I have no doubt someone will be porting it.

b1ueskycomp1ex posted on May 26 2009 at 11:16 PM said:
That would be awesome. The Wiz menu is flash, isn't it? It's garbage. I would be pretty interested in an alternative dashboard of sorts, too.
No, it's not Flash it's SDL. In the prototype units firmware the menu is Flash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase posted on May 26 2009 at 10:20 PM said:
Wow, you guys really think so? I think this menu is much nicer than the GP2X one. gmenu2x would still be a good alternative of course. I have no doubt someone will be porting it.
To me it is the same as the GP2X one, to launch apps you just browse a directory structure. It is crap if you have more than 4 apps on your card. All of that scrolling one-by one sequential is lame. It works but Gmenu is much nicer.

I think I can make a version of gmenu2x for wiz failrly quick. The code is organized pretty well and all the Gp2X specifics are # defined. So basically is a matter of turning on or off the gp2x options we need. Then replacing some features with wiz specific ones if it can be supported.
Registers : replaceable withe wiz specific ones (for the features below, like clock speed)
Battery Level : Maybe same interface as gp2x? If not we dont need right away.
Touchscreen : Maybe same interface as gp2x? If not we dont need right away, also there seems to be mouse support, the touchscreen should work through that too.
TV Out : Doesnt work yet and we dont need now anyway
Memory Timings : I think exophase tried some better timings but with no increase. he wasnt able to push them far, most likely this feature will be dropped.
Clock Speed : Ive already played with this from Orkie's libcastor example. I can add in the wiz specifics.
Filesystem : Same as Gp2X, turn it on
USBnet : No support in the wiz.
LED Control : Only one led, dont need now. Probally dont need later.
Gamma : There is a brightness control in the gph menu. Can be added later if we learn how to control it.

Pickle posted on May 29 2009 at 05:51 PM said:
I think I can make a version of gmenu2x for wiz failrly quick.
And Pickle comes again to the rescue! :D Really great.

Yes, I don't have a wiz so... :rolleyes:

But I'm sure that's great news to others.

Battery Level : Maybe same interface as gp2x? If not we dont need right away.
Touchscreen : Maybe same interface as gp2x? If not we dont need right away, also there seems to be mouse support, the touchscreen should work through that too.
TV Out : Doesnt work yet and we dont need now anyway
Memory Timings : I think exophase tried some better timings but with no increase. he wasnt able to push them far, most likely this feature will be dropped.
Clock Speed : Ive already played with this from Orkie's libcastor example. I can add in the wiz specifics.
Filesystem : Same as Gp2X, turn it on
USBnet : No support in the wiz.
LED Control : Only one led, dont need now. Probally dont need later.
Gamma : There is a brightness control in the gph menu. Can be added later if we learn how to control it.
Most of that stuff was added later to the GP2X. I agree that most of that stuff is not needed right now. The important thing is the GUI.

If those GPH specific things are needed (battery, clock) there is an option to exit Gmenu and go to the default one anyway. Those things could always be added to Gmenu Wiz later.

I love you pickle. =D

In an extremely appreciative end-user type of way. >.>;

Back