Gmenu2X

Is there a way that you can do this without using that "termula" thing and a bunch of command line typing to do it? I don't know how to do mess with those things. Is there some kind of installer scripts that could just be run from an SD card to install this way?

Hmm.. yes, I suppose someone could write two scripts -- one that turns this "feature" on, and one that turns it back off again. If i have some time tonight I'll look into it.

I can't get this to work.. Is it still worth using? It hasn't been updated in a while.. But I want to take a look.

I have been using the Win2K front end. I am experienced at installing things on the Wiz, I have many games and applications running on my Wiz (Mame, UAE4ALL, prdoom etc).

I copy the folder and autorun to the root of my sd card, the folder name is correct etc.

Autorun is set to on, in the default GUI.

I want to look at this to decide whether its better than the Win2K.

The Win2K one, sometimes all my shortcuts to games and applications disappear and I have to put them ALL in again. Seems to be a problem with autoscan.

I am hoping also this program will enable me to change the name on shortcuts to different from the .gpe name.

Any ideas why its not working? I uninstalled the Win2K front end BEFORE trying to get it to work.

Oh if there is a response to this thread can somebody PM me, its hard to keep track. Bye

Oh I am using version 2.2 of the OS

Forgot about that tool,win2x is a lot better than that.Unfortunely, author of this tool is in the army now, so no update for now.I can`t help you why it not work.

Just FYI for the threadgoers here, EvilDragon has sent me a Wiz to use for porting Open2X to the Wiz, which would include integrating GMenu2X. A lot of people here might not be aware of this, but GMenu2X is integrated into the NAND/OS in Open2X for the GP2X and is very customized and loads extremely quickly on this platform. I have no idea why noone has made GMenu2X better on the Wiz but rest assured I know the source code of it very well and will eventually get to porting Open2X to the Wiz. I won't have time to do it for another 6-7 months however.

Senor Quack said:
Just FYI for the threadgoers here, EvilDragon has sent me a Wiz to use for porting Open2X to the Wiz, which would include integrating GMenu2X. A lot of people here might not be aware of this, but GMenu2X is integrated into the NAND/OS in Open2X for the GP2X and is very customized and loads extremely quickly on this platform. I have no idea why noone has made GMenu2X better on the Wiz but rest assured I know the source code of it very well and will eventually get to porting Open2X to the Wiz. I won't have time to do it for another 6-7 months however.

SQ I did the port of gmenu2x to wiz, all the changes have been added to the gmenu2x svn. I believe the reason the version I did might be slow is that the svn version as it is has a bit of bloat. Maybe your open2x version does not...

Last edited by a moderator:
Senor Quack said:
Holy crap, that's GREAT news!

Well the previous problem is that when you exit an app it dumps out to the Wiz stock menu. This kind of made Gmenu2X useless as it was only good to load one app.

the "autorun" part didn't work.

Also it took like 30 seconds to load Gmenu2X. That added to the regular boot up time made booting the Wiz with Gmenu2X slower than a Windows PC. I am not sure why Gmenu2X took so long to boot on a Wiz when it only took a few seconds on an old GP2X. Why so much slower?

DaveC said:
Well the previous problem is that when you exit an app it dumps out to the Wiz stock menu. This kind of made Gmenu2X useless as it was only good to load one app.

the "autorun" part didn't work.
Well not much we can do about that other than hack the gp2xmenu binary into a script that launched gmenu2x

DaveC said:
Also it took like 30 seconds to load Gmenu2X. That added to the regular boot up time made booting the Wiz with Gmenu2X slower than a Windows PC. I am not sure why Gmenu2X took so long to boot on a Wiz when it only took a few seconds on an old GP2X. Why so much slower?

I suspect the svn has more 'stuff' in it than the gp2x version your using, which is bogging it down.

DaveC said:
I think that must be a bug which only appears on some Wiz' (what's the plural of Wiz?). At my Wiz it starts in a few seconds and I got about 20 games and 5 emulators.

Back