Gmenu2x Question

T

TelcoLou

I notice something:

clipboard01fa4.png

Now, on my machine, it shows "67/969" ... on my Wife's '2X, it shows "36/966" ... why?
We have the exact same card setup (every few weeks or so, I make a backup of my card, re-format it, and re-copy everything, and I do the same to her card, so it's an exact mirror of mine) Both cards are 1GB, though different 'brands'.

... it's no big deal, but not knowing why it does this is like a splinter in my head.

Different brands are different sizes. No card is exactly 1000 meg. Just like no 140gb HDD is exactly 140000 meg.

Oh you mean the free space? No idea then..

Thanks, but why is the first value so radically different for each machine? Again, our cards have the exact same files and such ...

Are they formatted with the same filesystem? If the minimum block to write on one card is larger than the other, that could acount for it.

Have you tried swapping the cards to see if the numbers follow the cards or the machine?

If you can use the command line (STerm or telnet) do the following:
Code:
df -Th /mnt/sd
df -TH /mnt/sd
with both cards and compare the output.

This is a built in tool which will report the free space on a disk. 'T' tells it to print the filesystem type; the 'h' tells it to use 'human' units (1024b=1kb) whilst 'H' uses 'salesman' units (1000b=1kb). This should clarify if it's Linux, Gmenu2x or your cards... I think.

Could it also be that one card has more 'bad sectors' than the other limiting the capacity. Either way it's odd that one has about half of the content 'missing'. Could one be a 'compressed drive' at all?

Are they formatted with the same filesystem? If the minimum block to write on one card is larger than the other, that could acount for it.

Yeah, on the same PC and with the same card reader ...

Have you tried swapping the cards to see if the numbers follow the cards or the machine?

:blink: Damn ... it so simple .... of course not :lol: I'll check that later when I get home ..

Thanks to all for the help. :)

I use statfs to retrieve free space in blocks, then I multiply the free blocks * the block size and finally I convert that number to Megabytes considering 1kB=1024B
Probably the df command uses the same function, so "df -h" should report the same values.
Anyway I have 2 sd cards and the values were always correct to me.

Well, the touble followed the cards, not the machines. Anyway ... I popped in a freshly formatted 2GB card, and it reads it accurately. :) Thanks all ...

* Adds more NeoGeo roms *

Back