Gmenu Question

jonlad1

Ok, I have searched for an answer but couldnt quite find what I what looking for....

Can I install any linux app on the Pandora's Gmenu or will I have to wait for the program to be written/modified to work on Gmenu?

Sorry if I have missed the answer but I have looked :blink:

I'm so glad the preorders are underway!

there are many fundamental differences between the pandora's arm archetecture and linuxes x86. there will be little to no programs for common x86 systems and drivers that would work for pandora

jonlad1 said:
Ok, I have searched for an answer but couldnt quite find what I what looking for....

Can I install any linux app on the Pandora's Gmenu or will I have to wait for the program to be written/modified to work on Gmenu?

Sorry if I have missed the answer but I have looked :blink:

I'm so glad the preorders are underway!
It depends on the specific application, if it's a small application that builds cleanly on non-x86 architectures, then probably, provided you recompile it. I would imagine a cross-compiler toolchain will be provided for this kind of thing. Some applications will have to be modified to be usable, but most will probably run, if not necessarily very well initially (see the Ubuntu videos).

Last edited by a moderator:
What about ARM applications designed for a window environment? Such as Gjiten Arm?

I would really like to see some specific functionality out of the box or damn near it, and I imagine that if I have to ask a dev to make something work for the P, it must mean that there are 2,999 others out there who want a bit of code here and there to make their specific little bit of functionality work too.

Gilrad said:
What about ARM applications designed for a window environment? Such as Gjiten Arm?

I would really like to see some specific functionality out of the box or damn near it, and I imagine that if I have to ask a dev to make something work for the P, it must mean that there are 2,999 others out there who want a bit of code here and there to make their specific little bit of functionality work too.

There's a build of Ubuntu already running on the Pandora. That gives you plenty to play around with until other applications start appearing (which will most likely be 2 or 3 days from launch max!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back