Glbasic And Gp2x.de Coding Competition

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
GLBasic.com and gp2x.de have a small nice coding competition for you - ending on March 25th.

gp2x-f200-glbasic-compo.png

Here are some nice prizes for you to win:

1st Prize
GP2X-F200
GLBasic SDK premium
(or a 2x USB-Dance Mat)
4 GB SD-Card

2nd prize
GP2X-F200
GLBasic SDK premium
(or a 2x USB-Dance Mat)

3rd Price
GLBasic SDK premium
(or a 2x USB-Dance Mat)

All you have to do is code a game for the gp2x in GLBasic. But it needs to support the touchscreen of the F200!

You don't need to own a gp2x or GLBasic - the DEMO version totally suffices for this purpose. There is no need to purchase or upgrade in order to participate. You can code and test you stuff on your PC with it.

Find all the rules and the information on the GLBasic.com Website

Good initiative. Would be nice to see more touchscreen supported homebrew.

Goity said:
Do these have to be able to work with buttons alone too?
just read the rules, it's all in there (and the answer is yes, it has to be playable on a normal gp2x)

Last edited by a moderator:
Goity said:
Do these have to be able to work with buttons alone too?

4. The game must be controllable with the cursor keys and the 10 buttons of the GP2X. However, it must feature touchscreen input as well to show how the pen can improve playabillity.

Sounds like it must run on a F100 as well, but then you could argue that a touch screen only game will really "show how the pen can improve playabillity" for that particular game ;)

I am thinking about entering this.. To be honest, 5 minutes of runtime is extremely restricting.. barely doable but I might still take it on.

Senor Quack said:
I am thinking about entering this.. To be honest, 5 minutes of runtime is extremely restricting.. barely doable but I might still take it on.
yeah, i'm also thinking about joining the contest, have been thinking of getting me a gp2x, but winning one would be even better ^^
howver, 5 minutes limited runtime, and no way to test on a gp2x will seriously complicate things...
i won't even be able to make sure my game runs fast enough on a 2x...

Racemaniac said:
Senor Quack said:
yeah, i'm also thinking about joining the contest, have been thinking of getting me a gp2x, but winning one would be even better ^^
howver, 5 minutes limited runtime, and no way to test on a gp2x will seriously complicate things...
i won't even be able to make sure my game runs fast enough on a 2x...

not ideal, but you will just need to get some testers to help :)

you can always compile for win32 and test, the 5 minute limit is not that bad... depends on the game you're creating of course. i usually test games for about a minute, but that also says something about my programming/bug squashing skills :eek: i'm thinking of entering, but i lack the ideas for a game... i'll probably attempt a Risk-like game.

are multiple entries allowed?

Looks fun :)

I don't normally use Windoze but I keep a WinXP partition and had a little play. The GP2X buttons are mapped like so :-

CODE

GP2X Key(s) PC-Key
-------------------------------------------
DPad 203,205,200,208,57 Cursor Keys/Space
Volume 201,209 PageDn/PageUp
Front 42, 54 LShift/RShift
Start 28 Enter
Select 15 Tab
A,B,X,Y 30,32,31,17 A,D,S,W
44,45,29,58 Y,X,LCtr,CapsLock
Vol +&- 01 ESC

I created a test app and found that ESC wasn't triggered when holding VolDn+VolUp although it's no big deal.

There are joystick interface functions but they are only available to registered users.

The demo version fades in and out a demo bitmap every 10 seconds which is very annoying :blink:

I'm not that fanatical about investing too much time developing for proprietary languages - or Windoze either :p - but it would be fun to participate nonetheless.

[EDIT]
Apparently the game has to be developed from scratch. Does that include the artwork and sounds?

Cheers

KungPhoo said:
You can test on GP2X, too. But the 5 minute limit is there, too.
since the goal would be to win the gp2x since i don't have one, there's little chance I can test it on the gp2x i haven't got ^^
i can ofcourse look for people to test it for me ^^

namco said:
I'm liking the idea of this comp, although they aren't allowing the use of 3D which threw one of my ideas out! :(
i believe they meant the 3D functions of GLBasic, but if you make a raycaster or something like that, it should be ok?

Sebastian said:
namco said:
I'm liking the idea of this comp, although they aren't allowing the use of 3D which threw one of my ideas out! :(
i believe they meant the 3D functions of GLBasic, but if you make a raycaster or something like that, it should be ok?

i got the impression that the 3d functions aren't implemented for the gp2x, so yes, i don't think there would be any rules against writing your own.

I can't run\comp. anything. Get this error:
CODE
linking:
/mingw/lib/crt2.o:crt1.c:(.text+0x167): undefined reference to `__cpu_features_init'
*** FATAL ERROR - Please post this output in the forum

XaMMaX90 said:
CODE
linking:
/mingw/lib/crt2.o:crt1.c:(.text+0x167): undefined reference to `__cpu_features_init'
You probably want to post that at the glbasic.com forums, I'm guessing

XaMMaX90 said:
CODE
linking:
If you uninstall MinGW 1.5.3, then it works.

Back