Glad to have my Pandora.

DrHAX

T̶h̶e̶ ̶A̶u̶t̶h̶o̶r̶ The Artist
f2c8351aecebf29b72f998854aca42b9.jpg

Been stranded at work for approximately five hours now. This thing has had 24% battery life when I started at 9am... Seriously so glad to have this so I can keep what little sanity I have.. Also I typed five pages of a story on it today

Has anybody else used their Pandora today? :)

Dr. Hax, will you be making PDF's of your story and share it? I'd like to read your writing!

I used my Pandora today at work also. I tethered my Pandora to my phone, then used the PanDebian's apt-get to install qrencode! Then I spent an hour learning how to make QR Codes with my Pandora all at work! Work doesn't even feel like work anymore with my Pandora constantly with me :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. Hax, will you be making PDF's of your story and share it? I'd like to read your writing!

I used my Pandora today at work also. I tethered my Pandora to my phone, then used the PanDebian's apt-get to install qrencode! Then I spent an hour learning how to make QR Codes with my Pandora all at work! Work doesn't even feel like work anymore with my Pandora constantly with me :)
I got a work in progress I could easily share. It's titled Broken Skylight. It's a dystopian sci-fiI got inspired to write after seeing deus ex human revolution. I borrowed the cybernetic element and the concept of a city over a city. It reminds me a lot of the early 90s scifi action movies. I got a few other stories. I mostly write steampunk fantasy with sci-fi elements. I'll give a disclaimer for the contents of any story if somebody wants to read one.

I got a work in progress I could easily share. It's titled Broken Skylight. It's a dystopian sci-fiI got inspired to write after seeing deus ex human revolution. I borrowed the cybernetic element and the concept of a city over a city. It reminds me a lot of the early 90s scifi action movies. I got a few other stories. I mostly write steampunk fantasy with sci-fi elements. I'll give a disclaimer for the contents of any story if somebody wants to read one.
Oh, I like sci-fi! I'm reading Dune right now. I'm trying to learn how to write science fiction stories myself. Share your stories with us. I'd love to read them!

Maybe we need a literary corner in the Off topic section. (Might be just the thing to encourage to me write some more.. some days I need a swift kick in the ass) PND E-books That does sound awesome.

PND E-books That does sound awesome.
Agreed! With pictures/art!
I collect antique books pre 1920s so I'd love to do it in the style of early teens or turn of centbury. Pictures before a couple of chapters with a quote from the text. It was cool because it showed a snap shot. I'm not that good of an artist to do a comic. I wish I was

Edit: Turns out the story on my main card isn't the main one. It's one from last summer when I was having issues with saving... I need to find it. I really do not want to rewrite that many plot points again. It's hard rewriting something it doesnt have the same feeling.

Bad idea: flooding the Pandora repository with single-story PDFs packaged as PND applications.

Good idea: writing a program that acts as a front-end to a store of copyright expired, public domain and user submitted stories that is both curated and user rated. Theres a few android and ios apps that do a similar thing but don't allow users to submit original works. Some even pull audiobooks of copyright expired works from a specific public project whos name I forget. I think theres a project gutenberg frontend in the PND repository but I'm thinking more along the lines of an 'app store' for ebooks.

I've got my pandora tethered to my phone and I'm posting from it right now. I'm in hospital so I'll be using it as my main computing device for a while.

Why not flooding it? If it has its own category, there is no problem with uploading a lot of PNDs.

An app as you proposed already exists iirc from commander-beef. But its closed source I think.

Because a PDF file is not something that specifically needs to be packaged for a Pandora. It just seems silly to me to use whats essentially an application repo to distribute singular media files. PDFs are one thing but what's next? Single MP3 PNDs? Text files? CBRs? Are all these going to need their own categories too? The quality criteria for media is also a lot more subjective than it is for programs and if you open the repo up to media on the basis that 'it runs and fulfills the function it claims to' it'll get flooded with junk or they'll be a lot of hurt feelings and claims of favouritism as genuinely bad works are removed.

Having a front-end to a separate repository also allows you to be a lot more specific with categories too, you could have genre tags for example and other features that dont exist in the PND repo; like not even having to package them as PNDs for essentially no reason.

Visual novels okay real ones Nope. Im convinced nobody is going to package My Immortal as a PND and put it up on the repo.

Visual novels okay real ones Nope. Im convinced nobody is going to package My Immortal as a PND and put it up on the repo.
determined-challenge-accepted-l.png

You could just use ekianjo's hackerbooks pnd to distribute your stuff. It should be open source and my guess is that you'd only need to change minor portions of code.

I would also be glad to have your Pandora, DrHax. :p

I use my Pandora most days.  It is nice to be able to play a game or mess around if I get stuck somewhere longer than expected, and not be limited to things like Angry Birds or whatever is popular on touchscreen only devices now.  I prefer being able to do most of the things I would on a typical computer, instead of the whole smartfone experience.

I mostly write steampunk fantasy with sci-fi elements.
I am confused.  Isn't steampunk the retrofuturistic offspring of cyberpunk, so pretty much pure science fiction? What you described sounds like this.  I like a lot of my fiction to be dystopian.  I don't read current steampunk, so I don't know if that is widely carried over from cyberpunk.

illuminatus85 and KickAss gave me an idea.  I might actually be able to contribute something to the repo.  DrHax may like it since some of the content is not too much later than the books that are collected (but they weren't published in quality books back then).  Also there are ties with modern steampunk ideas and imagery in that this stuff is somewhat popular with those people.

Faster than light travel is science fiction. So you could have that as an element in a steampunk setting where its possible yet has nothing to do with retrofuturism or steampunk technology as steampunk does not necessarily mean things that are scientifically impossible as we currently understand.

Faster than light travel is science fiction. So you could have that as an element in a steampunk setting where its possible yet has nothing to do with retrofuturism or steampunk technology as steampunk does not necessarily mean things that are scientifically impossible as we currently understand.
So many issues with that second sentence I don't know where to start.  Steampunk was inspired by old science fiction and cyberpunk attitudes.  Both parents are science fiction, as is the offspring.  Science fiction does not mean that something is "scientifically impossible" or even improbable (not sure what you were trying to get at there).  It is fiction based on or inspired by science, just as historical fiction is based on or inspired by history.  Consider biopunk and related fiction.  It usually deals with things that are already well within our abilities (or soon expected to be), focuses on aspects of that, then sometimes takes it to the extreme, or adds a plot relevant to that.

Steampunk is one of the most well known examples of retrofuturism.  I don't know how you can think that you can include a steampunk setting and not have retrofuturism and steampunk technology.  Steampunk, just like real, modern human society, is heavily influenced by the relevant past and present technology.  The point of steampunk is the retrofuturism and the different path technological development could have taken, and how those would have created a different world.

In case you weren't aware, the *punk genres are often rebellious against, or at least shunning, the world that gave rise to them, and where it is going.  Since I don't read the most recent steampunk I can't say if it is both the "real" world and the fictional world in that case, or just the "real" one.

So many issues with that second sentence I don't know where to start.  Steampunk was inspired by old science fiction and cyberpunk attitudes.  Both parents are science fiction, as is the offspring.  Science fiction does not mean that something is "scientifically impossible" or even improbable (not sure what you were trying to get at there).  It is fiction based on or inspired by science, just as historical fiction is based on or inspired by history.  Consider biopunk and related fiction.  It usually deals with things that are already well within our abilities (or soon expected to be), focuses on aspects of that, then sometimes takes it to the extreme, or adds a plot relevant to that.

Steampunk is one of the most well known examples of retrofuturism.  I don't know how you can think that you can include a steampunk setting and not have retrofuturism and steampunk technology.  Steampunk, just like real, modern human society, is heavily influenced by the relevant past and present technology.  The point of steampunk is the retrofuturism and the different path technological development could have taken, and how those would have created a different world.

In case you weren't aware, the *punk genres are often rebellious against, or at least shunning, the world that gave rise to them, and where it is going.  Since I don't read the most recent steampunk I can't say if it is both the "real" world and the fictional world in that case, or just the "real" one.
My version of steampunk is basically a Steampunk world involving magic, which then has elements of normal mad scientist type of deal. Yes its victorian era and industrial revolution.. But with a twist. Its on its own planet. So its less what i've seen from literature with either take a glorified imperialistic mindset.. or simply make things a bit glorified OI ITS CHIMNEY SWEEPS IN LONDON! My stories have Mages, Satyrs(own version), Werewolves, Vampires, and my own version of "demons" that don't have a negative connotation. The world isn't all that happy either its been through four massive grand world  wars, and a lot of very grim issues do come up(racism, genocide, murder, torture just rather horrible things.)  So it is a Fantasy-Steampunk with sci-fi elements.  I can ramble on for hours about my story.. I'm less writing a story as I am more of a lore... 

Also I found the sd-card with the full (well up to date!) version of broken skylight... I'll start editing it.. I forgot how much I enjoyed the main character. If anybody wants a sample of it just PM me with the file format. I can throw it into any format thats reasonable. ODT  would be simple but E-pub and PDF are easily doable. :) But if I hand out a story I will want some feed back.  Any feed back I get can help me grow as an author. Even pointing out consistent grammar mistakes would be helpful. 

Back