Getting Vdub To Recognise Xvid Codecs

Melville

After re-installing Windows (XP home), I can't persuade Virtualdub to encode anything into XVid format. Here's what I do:

Download virualdub (latest version from http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/)
Extract it to c:\gp32\Movipark films\

Download XVid codec from http://www.entware.co.kr/download/xvid.exe
Run the file to extract codec to c:\program files\XVId\

All files seem to be present and in the correct place.

Reboot computer (for luck!)

Run Virtualdub

Go to video > compression, which displays a list of available codecs. However, Xvid is not on this list, so I can't use it to encode! Any ideas how I can force Virtualdub to recognise Xvid's presence? I'm pretty sure that I've had - and solved - this problem before, but it was months ago and I can't remember how I did it.

I realise I could try using Divx 4.12, but I want to use 2-pass encoding described in the excelent guide here: http://www.btinternet.com/%7Ewaystation/gpcin.html

Any help / advice will be appreciated. Ta!

(And yes I have searched the forums here and on the virtualdub site. No luck).

After installing the xvid codec form entware to the directory c:\rpograms\xvid, u need to run the file in that directory to install the xvid codec. Worked for me :D

Not for me :(

I run the Xvid.exe (downloaded from entware. It is an install file which eventually tells me that Xvid has been installed successfully.
The only excecutables installed to the Xvid directory are

Minicalc
AviC
StatsReader
Uninstall

There's also some sort of graph in .gif format, two text files and a help file. Is there supposed to be another excecutable in there? I've uninstalled / redownloaded /reinstalled several times, and each time the content of that folder has been the same.

Oh, and the files xvid.dll and xvid.ax were installed to c:\windows\system32, which is where the .dll's for all the other codecs (Divx 4.12 etc) seem to live.

As far as I can tell the install worked ok, but I have no way of making Virtualdub see it, or checking if other programs can see it.

Thanks though.

That gave me a message along the lines of "successfully registered xvid.ac ". Rebooted, but made no difference - still can't see Xvid in Virtualdub or Virtualdubmod.

Possibly I'm doing something very fundamental very wrong, but for the life of me I can't work out what it is.

Could someone tell me what they did to install Xvid and have Virtualdub recognise it?

Any further help will be grately appreciated.

Its just like i told, i just downloaded the codec and installed it, vdub automatically recognized the xvid codec. Do you have the lastest version of vdub? Or try to install it again. Oh , and after installing the codec, i didn´t needed to rebbot the pc.

Virtualdub 1.5.10 (build 18160/release) by Avery Lee

...or so my titlebar tells me.

Then how about trying something different from the well known *works when it wants* versions from entware. Personnaly, I never got one of their codecs to works...

For me too, i dont know what can be wrong. I dont think the windows version has something to do with it ( you said u had the home edition). Anyway, i have the xp professional version and the codecs just work fine for me.

The issue I noticed is that these codecs assume that windows is installed in c:\windows, on my system windows is on another partition than c: :unsure:
You can find the official version of the codec there.

OK - I assume this is your first install of XVid? I don't think reinstalling VirtualDub will make any difference.

Where did you source your XVid codec from? It could simply be a bad install.

I got mine from:

LonleyCatGames Codec Download

That worked perfectly first time for me. You could try uninstalling your version and doing an fresh install with this one.

Hope this helps.

Mark.

but the problem is that you have to have the version from Entware's site to encode for GPCinema. You could in fact install the latest XviD (1.0 final) codec and do the "Run me first" after you unpack it. then see if it works in VDub.. if it does, then try uninstalling that codec, and installing the entware one again.

P.S. My Invader Zim DVD came yesterday YAY.. Time to encode it for my Gamepark (you can never get too much Zim ya know)

Ohhhh. You would like that wouldn't you you Filthy Human.

Volume 1 (2DVDs in it) contains episodes 1-9 (actually 17 episodes if you count all the half-length episodes)

You can get it almost anywhere now (Released May 11th I think). Volume 2 will come out in August sometime. And the final volume (3 duh) not sure... The are working w/ the creator to finish the episodes they animated, but didn't voice over yet. Yay.. lost episodes.

Hope that helps.

Back