GP32 Getting Started In Gp32 Development

cloudjoe

Still Fresh
Whats up everyone,

I am very interested in developing for the GP32, but I'm a little lost on how to get started. I'm trying to create a custom semi-turned based RPG (Chrono Trigger,Final Fantasy 3, etc.) Please let me know what the best (preferably free)programs that I need for compiling and for making custom graphics and music and any great guides you may of know for a newbie to GP32 Development. Any help is greatly appreciated.

P.S. Im using a Windows XP, know basic c++

You will need three things to get started:

1. A devkit or toolchain.
I would recommend using a prebuilt toolkit like devkitARM. You can get it from devkit.tk and there is a tutorial there on how to set it up. Alternatively, you could build your own by following the link in no_skill's post above.

2. An SDK
Two choices here. The official gamepark SDK or Mr Mirko's Alternative SDK. I would recommend Mirko's SDK because it it vastly easier to use IMO.

3. An editor or IDE
This is something of a personal preference. Here are some of the common editor choices that people are using.
Crimson Editor
Dev-C++
Eclipse
Microsoft Visual C++
Textpad
UltraEdit

I would warn you that Dev-C++ is not the easiest thing to setup for gp32 development.

First, thanks a lot for the help guys.

I've gotten the three items:

I've installed DevkitARM according to the site
I've got the Alternate SDK
I've installed the crimson editor and created the "hello world" c document.

But I'm a little confused. I've got just a lot of mixed files and I'm not sure how to put them all together to actually start developing (Where to put the SDK in the DevkitARM, where to put the .c documents for compiling, how to test the code for the GP). If you know of a guide that can help me out that would be great because I'm very interested in developing I'm just having trouble getting it started to actually code for it.

The gp32_SDK directory can go anywhere although I usually put it inside devkitARM for simplicity.

The thing that ties all these things together is called a Makefile and there should be a sample Makefile inside the examples in gp32_SDK you just have to change the paths.

Another plug: If you find yourself getting frustrated or you feel straight development is taking too long, there are alternatives. For instance, the Gigas Engine (a game scripting engine) is setup to do EXACTLY what you are talking about: a turn-based RPG like Chrono Trigger.

Take a look here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=13091

Pirotic, the author of Gigas Engine, also announced that the source for Gigas should be released with the next version.

Last edited by a moderator:
the hardest thing for me was getting all the sprites, also mode_5 or watever rtoation and scalling.

cloudjoe posted on Aug 2 2004 at 01:56 AM said:
First at thanks a lot for the help guys.

I've gotten the three items:

I've installed DevkitARM according to the site
I've got the Alternate SDK
I've installed the crimson editor and created the "hello world" c document.

But I'm a little confused. I've got just a lot of mixed files and I'm not sure how to put them all together to actually start developing (Where to put the SDK in the DevkitARM, where to put the .c documents for compiling, how to test the code for the GP). If you know of a guide that can help me out that would be great because I'm very interested in developing I'm just having trouble getting it started to actually code for it.
To set up mirkos Sdk in Crimson editor all you have to do is copy compile.bat and your makefile to the directory of your project. Then go to user tools.

In the command browse it to the comple.bat that you created, and for the initial directory. Set it to $(FileDir).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back