Generic Power Adapter?

sparr

I have a Radio Shack 3V-12V 1000mA adapter with a tip that fits the GP2X. Normally I would not hesitate to use it, but for some reason I only get a little garbage on the screen and no backlight if I try to run the GP2X with the adapter set on 3V. When I set it on 4.5V it works fine, but I am worried that might damage my system in the long term. Help?

I have a Radio Shack 3V-12V 1000mA adapter with a tip that fits the GP2X. Normally I would not hesitate to use it, but for some reason I only get a little garbage on the screen and no backlight if I try to run the GP2X with the adapter set on 3V. When I set it on 4.5V it works fine, but I am worried that might damage my system in the long term. Help?

It's probably not regulated, making it drop the voltage (more or less) under load. Don't use it as is. Either build a regulator circuit or get a 'regulated' supply that has something equivalent to that build-in.

This is a faq, although it can be hard to search for it if you don't know the magic keyword(s) to search for.
Read more on it here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?act=S...hlite=regulated

P.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried the one that you have. And kept getting some of the results you speak of.

If you have the reciept, then take it back(they have a 30 day return, but flexable to 90 days if you get a little agitated and usually nice about it if you upgrade it to something else)

Get this one instead, it is stock#273-1696.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...ctId=2049697&cp

It is a 3v to 7.5v 2.0amp Digital camera power supply. Use with a the letter "A" tip and make sure that your tip is negative when plugging it in.

This is the one I use and it works great! No problems like you are having. And on this one you just keep it to 3 volts. Don't go any higher!!!

I like it because you don't have a stupid brick in the middle of the cord or the dumb USA adapta-plug to use on it(a la the official GPH power cord).

And yes, this is regulated!!!

Hopefully that helps!!!

I like it because you don't have a stupid brick in the middle of the cord or the dumb USA adapta-plug to use on it(a la the official GPH power cord).

Bricks have no brains so can be neither stupid nor smart.

Users can learn to use a screwdriver and change the plug
for about a dollar. Then they could appear less dumb than
the power cord.

Bricks have no brains so can be neither stupid nor smart.

Users can learn to use a screwdriver and change the plug
for about a dollar. Then they could appear less dumb than
the power cord.

Must of thought that one up all by yourself, huh?

How is your comment useful for the user who had the question? My point was, is that you don't have a brick in the middle of the A/C. Just letting him/her know what my solution was. (which is kind of what we do here on the forum)

Blades

Users can learn to use a screwdriver and change the plug for about a dollar. Then they could appear less dumb than the power cord.

Where do I get one of these said "screwdriver" that you speak of?
**drum fill**

Actually, if Mr. Electrical Engineer over there could post how to exactly get the brick out of the offcial power supply, that would be frickin' awesome..I hate that thing!

Can similar be done for concocting a car/moron lighter adapter?

EDIT: wow...I typed cig- lighter: and it posted as "moron lighter" .. that's cool!

I have a 'Connect-It ES-96UK AC/DC Mains Adapter'. It's pumps out 3-12v 300mA 3.6VA(max) un-regulated supply. When set to 3v, the screen flashes a few times, but never comes up.

I think we can conclude that un-regulated AC/DC adapters are not suitable. So, are we saying any regulated power supply (that delivers 3v with a suitable connector) will be OK?

NeoMK

I have a 'Connect-It ES-96UK AC/DC Mains Adapter'. It's pumps out 3-12v 300mA 3.6VA(max) un-regulated supply. When set to 3v, the screen flashes a few times, but never comes up.

I think we can conclude that un-regulated AC/DC adapters are not suitable. So, are we saying any regulated power supply (that delivers 3v with a suitable connector) will be OK?

NeoMK

NeoMK

I bought this adaptor Masterplug 1200mA 982/9701 £7.99 , available at Argos, as recommended on the wiki http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/External_power_supply. This is regulated and works fine.

Macleod

NeoMK

No, we are saying that any regulated power supply that has a suitable centre-negative connector and can provide at least 700mA @ 3V or 3.3V should be ok.

If you plan on using TV out, then you should go for at least 1amp (1000mA).

Back