General Pandora Quirks

lulzfish said:
Unless you mean it turns itself on when it's plugged in, which is very strange.
It's entirely normal, pretty much all devices do it.
Normally however, they boot to a minimal OS which only handles power management, and perhaps light an LED or put something on the display to show it's charging.
Nothing like that has been made for the Pandora yet, so it just boots the regular OS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aninhumer said:
lulzfish said:
Unless you mean it turns itself on when it's plugged in, which is very strange.
It's entirely normal, pretty much all devices do it.
Normally however, they boot to a minimal OS which only handles power management, and perhaps light an LED or put something on the display to show it's charging.
Nothing like that has been made for the Pandora yet, so it just boots the regular OS.

woot

:ph34r:

All of the Chinese MP3 players I've ever seen seem to do this... actually so does the Creative labs Zen, my LG cellphone and my old samsung phone that I use as a camera. If only just to show the power charge graphic, they still need to be officially switched on so the only thing that would make this weird to me is if it actually tried to load the OS and reboots if you try to shut it off (would it simply ignore the order to shut down?)

When you only want to charge the Pandora, does it go automaticly to "low-power mode" or do you have to do this manualy every time? I don't plan to charge my Pandora without using it, while the device is completely on.

Ages ago, I've suggested to desin a Stylus for the Pandora with a separate soft tip, like every other Touchscreen Device has one (including NDS). This way you could change the Tip or use different tips for every taste...shouldn't cost much more to do.
Maybe I cut the Stylus tip, drill a fine hole into the pen and insert a soft replacement tip that's available for other styli. :)

fusion_power said:
Maybe I cut the Stylus tip, drill a fine hole into the pen and insert a soft replacement tip that's available for other styli. :)
This is actually a damn good idea :)

My N800's stylus hasn't got a separate tip, either. It's one piece like the Pandora's stylus(except that little metal piece with the Nokia logo on it).

PokeParadox said:
Hopefully all these niggles can be smoothed out! :)
? What the heck does niggling mean? It must be a british phrase as iv never heard it before this forum
also how well would a ds stylus fit into the panda?

mali said:
fusion_power said:
This is actually a damn good idea :)

My N800's stylus hasn't got a separate tip, either. It's one piece like the Pandora's stylus(except that little metal piece with the Nokia logo on it).
There are even metal-Telescopic-styli for NDSi outside. They fit into the Handheld AND you can enlarge them like an Antenna.
http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Retractable-Replacement-Stylus-NINTENDO/dp/B000EG4GGY/ref=pd_sim_vg_5
Very nice idea if we could have such a thing for our Pandora. :)

tyicepaws said:
? What the heck does niggling mean? It must be a british phrase as iv never heard it before this forum
"Niggle" generally means something like "minor but slightly annoying problem".

"Niggling" and other mutations of it mean the same thing, but they're changed by the speaker to fit different contexts - so for example, I might say "I have a niggling little issue with my computer.", which, whilst a little bit redundant, would get the meaning across that there is a minor problem with my computer, but that the problem is a little bit annoying. :p

To give another example, someone might find that the way that the Pandora currently powers on whilst charging (due to the current lack of a minimal "charging mode") to be a niggle.

Prometheus said:
tyicepaws said:

"Niggling" and other mutations of it mean the same thing, but they're changed by the speaker to fit different contexts - so for example, I might say "I have a niggling little issue with my computer.", which, whilst a little bit redundant, would get the meaning across that there is a minor problem with my computer, but that the problem is a little bit annoying. :p

To give another example, someone might find that the way that the Pandora currently powers on whilst charging (due to the current lack of a minimal "charging mode") to be a niggle.

thanks i appreciate it pro yes well I'm still a bit nackered from last night ( Woo gin and rum)

tyicepaws said:
Prometheus said:
tyicepaws said:
thanks i appreciate it pro yes well I'm still a bit nackered from last night ( Woo gin and rum)
Wait, what the heck does nackered mean? Hung over?

lulzfish said:
tyicepaws said:
Prometheus said:
tyicepaws said:

Broken/Tired.

Asmo said:
Heh, I had it wrong. :lol:

The definition I gave fits the colloquial (and obviously incorrect) usage I grew up with, I should clarify for future readers of this thread.

Hmm, Bluetooth toggling should work... if not, there's some bug in the script.
I'll check that when I'm back. But you certainly should be able to switch it on or off.

About Lid close and Powersaving:
Closing the lid only switches the LCD off. That's great if you want to listen to music (I do that while I'm assembling Pandoras :))
If you open it up, screen goes back on.

Moving the powerswitch disables a lot of drivers, switches the LCD off and clocks to something about 10MHz.
When you move the powerswitch a second time, it goes back to normal state after a few seconds (might probably have a problem with the WiFi driver - that's something we couldn't test at all since WiFi wasn't working until recently. There will be a lot of improvements in the next firmware).

So there might be a bug: Going to powersaving mode with the powerswitch clocks the unit down.
It might be (I guess that's the case) that closing and opening the lid turns the screen back on, but it still is in powersaving mode (thus running with 10Mhz) - therefore, it's slooow.
Simply move the slider once more, that should go back to normal mode.

Please file a bug if that's the case :)

(naw)mcx said:
lulzfish said:

Broken/Tired.

Don't forget the K!

Knackered. - The knacker's yard is where worn out horses were sent for rendering (glue, hair, miscellaneous disgusting bits). So 'Knackered' became slang for too tired or worn out for any useful function. It's also used as pejorative slang for 'travellers' in parts of the UK/Ireland.

EvilDragon said:
So there might be a bug: Going to powersaving mode with the powerswitch clocks the unit down.
It might be (I guess that's the case) that closing and opening the lid turns the screen back on, but it still is in powersaving mode (thus running with 10Mhz) - therefore, it's slooow.
Simply move the slider once more, that should go back to normal mode.

Please file a bug if that's the case :)
Thanks for clarification Ed.

This should be in a new topic because I already know there will be more threads about this.

EvilDragon said:
Moving the powerswitch disables a lot of drivers, switches the LCD off and clocks to something about 10MHz.
Is it possible to change the low-power-mode clock speed to different values someway?

Back