General Pandora Quirks

mali said:
EvilDragon said:
Moving the powerswitch disables a lot of drivers, switches the LCD off and clocks to something about 10MHz.
Is it possible to change the low-power-mode clock speed to different values someway?

It's just a script that's doing that, and that is in /usr/pandora/scripts/

So yeah, no biggie :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:

Oh that's cool :) We talked about it elsewhere and Pleng mentioned that he didn't get more battery life out of the low power mode than when just closing the lid. I have a theory that the clock speed in low power mode is a tad too low(race to idle theory), because some still running processes might occupy the CPU for too long. If someone is interested and gets instructions to alter that script, that person could run some tests at different speeds an check if there is a difference in battery life.

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon said:

If you have to reflash the firmware, it overwrites even these script files, correct? Just a thought here, but it may be worthwhile to have it do some kind of diff on certain known configurable files (notably scripts in this case, but many others I'm sure) and then alert the user that it's about to overwrite a custom script or config file and ask what should be done about it (overwrite, keep, or backup)
Something to consider for future updates.

WizardStan said:
EvilDragon said:

If you have to reflash the firmware, it overwrites even these script files, correct? Just a thought here, but it may be worthwhile to have it do some kind of diff on certain known configurable files (notably scripts in this case, but many others I'm sure) and then alert the user that it's about to overwrite a custom script or config file and ask what should be done about it (overwrite, keep, or backup)
Something to consider for future updates.

At the beginning, the firmware will be completely reflashed (blockwise, so not possible to diff).
In the future, we're planning to have a nice repository with normal package updates :)

Last edited:
mali said:
EvilDragon said:

Oh that's cool :) We talked about it elsewhere and Pleng mentioned that he didn't get more battery life out of the low power mode than when just closing the lid. I have a theory that the clock speed in low power mode is a tad too low(race to idle theory), because some still running processes might occupy the CPU for too long. If someone is interested and gets instructions to alter that script, that person could run some tests at different speeds an check if there is a difference in battery life.

Well, if the system is idle, yeah, the battery life doesn't differ much.
If you run a lot of apps, the low power mode also suspends them (that's what I do when I play and take a break - closing the lid will keep the game running).

But yeah, we could probably keep the same clockrate, don't know how much it really helps.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
But yeah, we could probably keep the same clockrate, don't know how much it really helps.
Worth a try :) The N900's lowest CPU clock is 250MHz, IIRC.

edit:
Some OMAP info on TMO
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=45821

Back