Release Gemrb

I will purchase the one from Gog.com to see what happens. My dvd version works, albeit very slow.

Will let you know.

Jurn

Hi, I just can't get it to work.

I use GemRb 0.62.

I installed BG1 on my PC. Then I copied all the files on my SD here : /pandora/appdata/gemrb062/bg1

I can choose BG1 BG2 ect.. When I choose BG1, nothing happens.

I think the paths are not good but i'm not sure.

/pandora/appdata/gemrb062/bg1

In here I have 12 files and 9 directories. I made a copy/paste from my PC, all the files are in the directories.

Thanx

EDIT : got it ;)

BAFelton said:
Hi, I just can't get it to work.

I use GemRb 0.62.

I installed BG1 on my PC. Then I copied all the files on my SD here : /pandora/appdata/gemrb062/bg1

I can choose BG1 BG2 ect.. When I choose BG1, nothing happens.

I think the paths are not good but i'm not sure.

/pandora/appdata/gemrb062/bg1

In here I have 12 files and 9 directories. I made a copy/paste from my PC, all the files are in the directories.

Thanx

EDIT : got it ;)

What was your issue? it might help other people :)
I for one read the complete thread and still don't know the exact setup for the appdata folder (although im certain i can figure it out, im just still (legally) downloading the game)

Cheers!

MarkoeZ

Last edited by a moderator:
I normally don't like to make 2 posts in a row, but i really wanted to say: Thanks for this port!!

I had never played baldurs gate before, and i absolutely love it. Plays perfect as well. An instant new favorite on my Pandora :D

And for those curious like i was: i made this path: ../pandora/appdata/gemrb/bg1 , copied all the contents of my pc installation folder (not the folder itself) into it, et voila.

Cheers!

This is just fantastic, thank you for this great port! Since the text is rather small in BG1, I tried this font mod. Unfortunately, the dialogs are then messed up, because the text is so long that you always have to scroll up in order to read the text from the start. Do you know if there are other ways of increasing fonts sizes? Also do you know if widescreen mods work? Because on this sitethey say that the mod works only with screen resolutions greater or equal to 800x600.

Thank you!

MarkoeZ said:
I normally don't like to make 2 posts in a row, but i really wanted to say: Thanks for this port!!

I had never played baldurs gate before, and i absolutely love it. Plays perfect as well. An instant new favorite on my Pandora :D

And for those curious like i was: i made this path: ../pandora/appdata/gemrb/bg1 , copied all the contents of my pc installation folder (not the folder itself) into it, et voila.

Cheers!

That's it. In the documentation you find in the Pandora menu, it says to copy the files in "../pandora/appdata/gemrb061/bg1"

The version is 0.62 so I made a directory "gemrb062". The mistake is there. It must be "gemrb" and voila !

I finished it and kept my savegames, ready to achieve BG2.

Also, how do you make it "fullscreen" like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYX0wAL6WAI ?

Thx.

BAFelton said:
Also, how do you make it "fullscreen" like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYX0wAL6WAI ?

Thx.

Untick the "fullscreen" setting in the game options screen (yeah I know, sounds illogical, but for BG1 it works that way)

Hi,

I haven't gotten around to working on GemRB lately. But this weekend i have some extra hours, and i cannot wait to get working on this again. First thing i will try is the GoG files. After that i will finally try to tackle the mouse pointer problem. I see you answered the file placement issues yourselves, i wish i had made the locations more clear. I've been a bad maintainer, I ofcourse can say i'm sorry, but that won't help you anything and also i really had different matters to attent to. Sunday is 0.6.3 time including decent pointer placement. Finger crossed. ;)

JurnD

Yeah, thank you JurnD! Can't wait!

Some results of my experiments: I installed BG1 on my PC (full installation), then tried to install the widescreen mod, choosing the GemRB option in it. It told me the game was not supported. I then realized that it was working only with Tales of the Sword Coast, but the good news was that resolutions from 640x480 and above were supported. So I installed TotSC, and applied the widescreen mod, putting 800 as the X width, and 480 as the height. This time it worked, but when I copied all the data to my SD card, then tried it on the Pandora, nothing seemed to change, so I suppose there is something to change in the GemRB conf file too. I don't know if this is something doable, but maybe releasing a standard PND, and another one including a different conf file for wide screen would be fantastic!

Or maybe a way to put a config file into the appdata directory, that would override the one included into the PND, so everybody can fine tune their own settings?

I'd love to get your feedback on this possibility. Thank you! :)

Michoko said:
Yeah, thank you JurnD! Can't wait!

Some results of my experiments: I installed BG1 on my PC (full installation), then tried to install the widescreen mod, choosing the GemRB option in it. It told me the game was not supported. I then realized that it was working only with Tales of the Sword Coast, but the good news was that resolutions from 640x480 and above were supported. So I installed TotSC, and applied the widescreen mod, putting 800 as the X width, and 480 as the height. This time it worked, but when I copied all the data to my SD card, then tried it on the Pandora, nothing seemed to change, so I suppose there is something to change in the GemRB conf file too. I don't know if this is something doable, but maybe releasing a standard PND, and another one including a different conf file for wide screen would be fantastic!

Or maybe a way to put a config file into the appdata directory, that would override the one included into the PND, so everybody can fine tune their own settings?

I'd love to get your feedback on this possibility. Thank you! :)

Hi Michoko,

I can make it so that you can choose the resolution you like at the little menu when choosing the game. The resolution is set in a config file different per game, so it's just a matter of making two different config files per game, one normal and one widescreen. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

tomorrow evening i will post the new pnd.

cheers

I am uploading the new PND to here now.

Changes:

- gemrb now version 0.6.3

- mousepointer problem solved thanks to DJWillis

- added a widescreen cfg (bg1w) for BG1 in case some wants to run it widescreen (bg1 must be modded with a widescreen mod then)

- added a custom option to the menu: if you put a file named "custom.cfg" in the /appdata/gemrb/ directory, gemrb will load with this configuration.

EvilDragon said:
Hm, just trying to get BG2 from GOG.com working... I also have that weird blue screen when getting into the game.
Moving all .bif files from data and data/Data into the main directory doesn't work (then the game doesn't even run anymore).

Any ideas here?

You can solve this by putting all the files from data/Data to data, this worked for me. The biggest problem with BG2 is that it cannot run in 800x480 without modding it first, otherwise the screen mucks itself up. I haven't been able to succesfully mod it yet, but i'm sure others have.

Good luck.

Jurnd

EvilDragon said:
JurnD said:
You can solve this by putting all the files from data/Data to data, this worked for me.

MOVE or COPY? :)

Just MOVE. ;)

(i just moved the files from /data/Data/*.* to /data/ (and also from /data/Movies)

JurnD said:
EvilDragon said:
JurnD said:
You can solve this by putting all the files from data/Data to data, this worked for me.

Just MOVE. ;)

(i just moved the files from /data/Data/*.* to /data/ (and also from /data/Movies)
If it's not too much trouble, you could perhaps tell the program to search data/Data path as well? To avoid future confusion, i mean, if both you and ED get confused initially. I don't know you, but i think ED qualifies as a hardcore gamer? ;)
Just a thought, but don't know the code and how hard it is to add a search path.

Still: Great job on GemRB for Pandora!!

Cheers!

MarkoeZ

JurnD said:
EvilDragon said:
JurnD said:

Just MOVE. ;)

Okay, did that. Now it continues - however, there seems to be an issue of it changing between widescreen an non-widescreen as well as not displaying the map properly, etc.
Do I need to apply a patch to the files?

Last edited:
Yes, i did the widescreen mod, and holy crap, it seems to work pretty well.

Here's what i did (on Linux)

- installed bg2 from gog through wine.

- Downloaded this widescreen mod: http://www.gibberlings3.net/downloads/linux-widescreen-v3.03.tar.bz2

- extracted this to my bg2 directory, so there is an extra widescreen directory in there.

- Downloaded WeiDu for linux: http://www.weidu.org/users/thebigg/WeiDU-Linux-227.zip

- extracted the binaries from this to my /usr/bin

- went into bg2 directory and ran "tolower", answered y to both questions

- then i ran WeInstall widescreen inside the bg2 directory , answered the question, NOT!!! choosing GEMRB when it asks for the engine and it patched the files.

- copied the files from data/Data to data

- put bg2 directory on pandora

It now runs bg2 on 800x480 with windows looking normal on my Pandora. I clocked it at 850 Mhz (mine won't go higher) but bg2 is still a bit slow.

Also, i just uploaded a new pnd to openhandhelds because there was a small mistake in the startup script: bg1w still ran bg1.cfg instead of bg1w.cfg.
Pnd should be available later today.

JurnD said:

- Downloaded this widescreen mod: http://www.gibberlings3.net/downloads/linux-widescreen-v3.03.tar.bz2

- extracted this to my bg2 directory, so there is an extra widescreen directory in there.

- Downloaded WeiDu for linux: http://www.weidu.org/users/thebigg/WeiDU-Linux-227.zip

- then i ran WeInstall widescreen inside the bg2 directory , answered the question, NOT!!! choosing GEMRB when it asks for the engine and it patched the files.

It now runs bg2 on 800x480 with windows looking normal on my Pandora. I clocked it at 850 Mhz (mine won't go higher) but bg2 is still a bit slow.

Also, i just uploaded a new pnd to openhandhelds because there was a small mistake in the startup script: bg1w still ran bg1.cfg instead of bg1w.cfg.

Fantastic! I quickly donwloaded version 0.6.3, and chose the bg1w, but the screen was still 4:3, so I suppose this is due to the mistake you talk about, so I'll wait (not so) patiently till the new version is on the app store ;) Another issue though: even if I choose the regular BG1 option, when I'm at the main menu and try to load a saved game or start a new game, GemRB seems to load something from the SD card, then it freezes. If I put v0.6.2, it works again. I don't know if this is due to the faulty bg1 file?

Thanks again for such nice improvements!

Michoko said:
JurnD said:

Fantastic! I quickly donwloaded version 0.6.3, and chose the bg1w, but the screen was still 4:3, so I suppose this is due to the mistake you talk about, so I'll wait (not so) patiently till the new version is on the app store ;) Another issue though: even if I choose the regular BG1 option, when I'm at the main menu and try to load a saved game or start a new game, GemRB seems to load something from the SD card, then it freezes. If I put v0.6.2, it works again. I don't know if this is due to the faulty bg1 file?

Thanks again for such nice improvements!

Yep, that has been solved as well, i forgot to mention that.

I still have the issue of sometimes not being able to save, i don't know what that is about yet. Also the games not starting fullscreen boggles me.
see what i can do.

JurnD

Back